Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Update on wagon vs. sedan struggle

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi - Silver/Gray, Gray Leather, 6 SP Manual, Premium, Sport, CW, CA, Shades, Logic7

Originally Posted by Znod' post='323398' date='Aug 16 2006, 08:11 PM
Way to go with the heart.
That's a good way to put it for this whole decision process, not just my recent decision on wagon vs. sedan.

I had been considering the Infiniti M35x, Lexus GS300 and Acura RL as well. Having come from almost exclusively Japanese brands previously, and having very good experiences with them, my mind was telling me to go that way again. And all these are great cars in their own right. But, at the end of the day, the BMW was the only one that I'd get real excited about driving. That gut feel goes a long way in such a decision. And, it should.

The BMW may turn out to be just as reliable as those other choices, but even if it doesn't, I figured I'd be much happier dealing with a few maintenance and repair issues and driving this 530xi, than having a trouble-free ownership experience with a car that doesn't thrill me.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi - Silver/Gray, Gray Leather, 6 SP Manual, Premium, Sport, CW, CA, Shades, Logic7

Originally Posted by kchan' post='323440' date='Aug 16 2006, 10:23 PM
Congrats!
Notice you are getting the manual, cool!
Did you have a chance to test drive a manual?
my main complaint about the car is how hard it is to get a smooth shift
the shift and the clutch travel are waaaaaaay long
i miss the shiftin feel of my 6 years old accord...
Not counting my wife's cars, I've had a Honda Civic Si, Prelude, Subaru Legacy, VW Passat and, currently, an Acura TSX - all manual trannies.

I was pretty set on giving that up this time around, given the class of car I've been targeting. Accepting the automatic opened up the options quite a bit. And, I had been looking at used 530xi's, and clearly the vast majority of those are autos. When I recently considered ordering a new one, the idea of combining this size of car, the luxury, and AWD with a manual trannie is just awesome.

I did test drive a 525xi with a manual late last year, and I thought it was quite smooth. Every clutch and shifter take some time to get used to, but once you do, it's such a great experience.

And you're right, the Honda shifting is hard to beat. That, alone, was a significant reason for going with my current TSX. I'll miss that, but I am so thrilled that I'm not giving up the manual quite yet. Maybe when I turn 40. Naaaaaah!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Good that you have test drive it and you like it
I was suprised to see bmw throws in such a long shift and clutch travel
Drove in europe for a week for my ED pickup and 6 weeks here, still not used to the clutch yet
Haha maybe I am just getting old and takes time to get use to new things
I had the CDV removed, and also thinking about a short shift. Somehow I drove my brother's audi and the shift is much easier to get used to (short and smooth shift).

Ever consider doing a ED? That's one awesome experience!

Originally Posted by beldredge' post='323443' date='Aug 16 2006, 09:35 PM
Not counting my wife's cars, I've had a Honda Civic Si, Prelude, Subaru Legacy, VW Passat and, currently, an Acura TSX - all manual trannies.

I was pretty set on giving that up this time around, given the class of car I've been targeting. Accepting the automatic opened up the options quite a bit. And, I had been looking at used 530xi's, and clearly the vast majority of those are autos. When I recently considered ordering a new one, the idea of combining this size of car, the luxury, and AWD with a manual trannie is just awesome.

I did test drive a 525xi with a manual late last year, and I thought it was quite smooth. Every clutch and shifter take some time to get used to, but once you do, it's such a great experience.

And you're right, the Honda shifting is hard to beat. That, alone, was a significant reason for going with my current TSX. I'll miss that, but I am so thrilled that I'm not giving up the manual quite yet. Maybe when I turn 40. Naaaaaah!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Good that you have test drive it and you like it
I was suprised to see bmw throws in such a long shift and clutch travel
Drove in europe for a week for my ED pickup and 6 weeks here, still not used to the clutch yet
Haha maybe I am just getting old and takes time to get use to new things
I had the CDV removed, and also thinking about a short shift. Somehow I drove my brother's audi and the shift is much easier to get used to (short and smooth shift).

Ever consider doing a ED? That's one awesome experience!

Originally Posted by beldredge' post='323443' date='Aug 16 2006, 09:35 PM

Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW ///M 525xi Carbon Black - Dakota Black Leather - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit trim - Alloy wheels 135 8Jx18" - Sport Seats - Bi-Xenon Headlights - Nav. System Professional - Bluetooth phone prep. - Auto-Dim. Int + Folding exterior mirrors - Rear Blind (electric) and side blinds - PDC - Foldable rear seats - Trailer Clutch -- 1980 - E21 320 1984 - E21 323i - White 1988 - E34 520i - Light Blue 1995 - E39 528i - Dark Blue -- Momo 17" wheels 2001 - E39 530d - Stahblau -- ///M-kit 2002 - Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver -- wifes car 2006 - E60 525xi - Carbon black -- ///M-kit Mods: Anti carjacking system CJ-1

Hehe congrats man . You won't regret the x-drive.

I love it: the extra grip, all weather driving,...

But can i ask you why you didn't take the 525xi? Can you give me some negative aspects?
Old 08-17-2006, 02:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

Originally Posted by BMW ///M 525xi' post='323491' date='Aug 17 2006, 11:23 AM
Hehe congrats man . You won't regret the x-drive.

I love it: the extra grip, all weather driving,...

But can i ask you why you didn't take the 525xi? Can you give me some negative aspects?

less power maybe?
Old 08-17-2006, 02:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

Congrats on the new car! I am sure you will enjoy every minute of it. And i hope we helped drive you to the right choice.

When will it arrive?

so you can join the Posers club
Old 08-17-2006, 02:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW ///M 525xi Carbon Black - Dakota Black Leather - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit trim - Alloy wheels 135 8Jx18" - Sport Seats - Bi-Xenon Headlights - Nav. System Professional - Bluetooth phone prep. - Auto-Dim. Int + Folding exterior mirrors - Rear Blind (electric) and side blinds - PDC - Foldable rear seats - Trailer Clutch -- 1980 - E21 320 1984 - E21 323i - White 1988 - E34 520i - Light Blue 1995 - E39 528i - Dark Blue -- Momo 17" wheels 2001 - E39 530d - Stahblau -- ///M-kit 2002 - Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver -- wifes car 2006 - E60 525xi - Carbon black -- ///M-kit Mods: Anti carjacking system CJ-1

Originally Posted by ronald_adi' post='323501' date='Aug 17 2006, 12:05 PM
less power maybe?
Hehe except for that i mean
Old 08-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Congrats!
Old 08-17-2006, 05:08 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by beldredge' post='323334' date='Aug 17 2006, 12:45 AM
Good thing I finally ordered - another few months and I probably could've justified an M5!
...weeks not months I'll think you'll find! After a few months it would M5 + M6 and on the waiting list for the M3!

Great choice.
I imagine you need the 4wd "x" option in your part of the world or do you just prefer the way it drives?

What's in the "Sport" pack exactly? Sport rims/seats/suspension?

Quick Reply: Update on wagon vs. sedan struggle