Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

UPDATE: BMWNA APPROVED BUYBACK

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

I was called by the BMW sales manager yesterday and told to come down to the dealership to pick out a car. I was so nervous when I got the call. I got ready and drove down to the dealership around 3pm yesterday. I met with the manager and he told me there was paper work to do so he got the original sales man that sold me the car to help me out.

I sat there a bit nervous but did not show it. I asked him i'd like to upgrade some things to the car. So we went to the BMW website and built the one I wanted. He filled out the paperwork and I asked him if we can listen to one of the cars in the lot without Logic 7 so I could get a feel for the sound. My current car has Logic 7. The reason I requested this was because they have a car in stock that was very close to what I wanted in my car except for the logic 7. He gave me such a hard time but finally gave in. We checked one car out and I did not like the sound. So we continuned with the original selection and I decided to add navigation. He got upset and said that he was not going to do this now he has a delivery and is expecting the customer to come in at any moment. I told him I would wait and he said it may be an hour or so. I said that's fine and then he began making excuses. I told him I don't want to be rushed how about saturday. He said no he had to many things to do.

Now I'm pissed off so I get up and I tell him I don't have to deal with you and I go straight to the manager. I tell him what happened and if he could assign someone else to my case. He saw I was really upset and asked the saleman to wait on the side and he would handle this himself. I was so upset and then I see the salesman trying to justify his position and that was it. I went off to the point where everyone in the dealership was looking and heard me say " when I bought the car you were my best friend and you kissed my ass, now that I've been approved for this move and now that your not making commission I'm not worth the time, I'm the customer this is not a joke. I spent $60,000 on a car and have had nothing but problems and you want to rush me out of here. Man was I pissed. The managers try to calm me down but I was heated and told me they would handle my situation themselves. They've appointed their top sales woman to the case and she will deal with me from now on. They also said this incident will be delt with accordingly they can't have sales reps challenging customers.

They took down the info and specs on the car I want and now I'm waiting for them to call me. How does this work, the buyback? I looked up a couple of old posts and did some research and have an idea. I'm just not familiar with the numbers and how they come to a price for the new car and what happens with my old one? Do they give full value for the car( what I paid) or do they subtract for the miles? I was told that I get the new car at invoice is this true?

Well it was a long and sad deliberation but persistance and a level head prevailed. I'm still a little nervous because this is an area i'm very unfamiliar with. If there is anyone that can shed some light on this I'll appreciate that very much. The deal is still not completely done but I hope it all goes well from here on end.

Thanks Rick,

sorry it's kind of a long story.....
Old 08-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

As far as the buyback is concerned they should give a credit equal to what you initially paid for the car. Its not your fault this happened. Hang in there and stick to your guns, its THERE reputation on the line...
Old 08-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Slick,

That story about the salesman was a real trip! I (and I am sure all of us) have run into those types before, and there's no excuse for that. I'm glad you went off on them. Like you said, once they make the sale, they don't usually give a damn about you. They should at least pretend. It reminds of when I was looking at Infiniti's a few months ago and asked the salesman for a calculator. He replied, "I don't have one. I wouldn't even know where to look." And he just sat there. So, about 10 minutes later, I asked for one again. He repeated the same phrase, and then yelled over to another salesman who, in turn, brought me a calculator. 10 minutes later I was out the door when he started arguing with me about an intended joke. He had no sense of humor and got pissed when I said, "I'll take the car if you round my payment down to $570/mo. His quote was $570.01! He flipped out and was like, "I'm not taking any more money off this car!" A total idiot. He blew the sale, and I am glad he did. I'd be driving an M35 if it wasn't for that. I told the sales manager about what an a-hole he was, and now it makes for a good story to give my friends a chuckle. Good luck Slick! Don't take any s#%!
Old 08-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

You handled it well, Rick. It's unfortunate that you ran into a jackass for a salesman, but you clearly made your point and will be treated properly in the future.

It's great that BMW is stepping up to the plate and correcting a bad situation. Take your time, make sure you get exactly what you want this time around. Maybe you can even upgrade to a 550!

Lou
Old 08-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Senior Members

Sounds like a typical BMW salesman. It may just be me, but trying to buy a car at a BMW dealer just drives me crazy. BMW would sell so many more cars if they would just tell their dealers and salemans to negotiate more.

Just hang in there, everything will turn out all right.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Senior Members

Rick

Regarding the buyback, I guess it depends on whether this is a lease/finance or outright purchase. If it?s the former, they do a collateral substitution.

If it?s the latter, they simply buy you a new car (usually).

What dealership is this btw?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='455386' date='Aug 4 2007, 10:09 PM
Rick

Regarding the buyback, I guess it depends on whether this is a lease/finance or outright purchase. If it?s the former, they do a collateral substitution.

If it?s the latter, they simply buy you a new car (usually).

What dealership is this btw?
I financed the car it's not a lease. The managers are very responsive and so was this sales rep. i believe he mis took my kindness for weekness and did not realize what laid beneath. Boy were they surprised, you had to see them afterwards.

Dealership: starts with Prestige
Old 08-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='455394
Dealership: starts with Prestige
Danke.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Contributors

Hey guy's no more feed back?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Patience my boy. Patience. You've reached the promised land faster than I would have thought it possible. Just deal with the manager and in due course, and that sounds like pretty soon, order your new car.
Remember there has to be a little back and forth between the dealer and BMWNA. Watch your temper, too. Firmness with some respect for the other guy is worth more a lot more than anger. And it's easier on your on cardio system. You don't want to bust an artery before the new car arrives.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: BMWNA APPROVED BUYBACK