Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Tire Pressure Monitor Malfunction FIXED for $200 instead of Deale

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi

hey guys
I had a few posts here and there so I wanted to make a new one to let everyone know my results.

I bought a 2008 535xi a few weeks ago from the auction and it had a Tire Pressure Monitor Malfunction. It was not reading the sensors on the tire, or even recognizing the system. Long story short I took it to Rallye BMW in Westbury, NY to fix a few things as well as the Tire Pressure Monitor malfunction. Dealer told me that the total cost to me would be $1800. He said that water had gone into my trunk and damaged the TCU module and Tire pressure monitor module. After doing some researching I found that BMW actually has a service bulletin that water enters the trunk and ruins some of the electrics that are in that vicinity. Anyhow when telling the Dealer that, he said they did high pressure water tests and water did not come in from the outside, rather something was spilled inside. He went on to tell me that the wires and connectors were all corroded and clear water damage was apparent. Anyhow we went back and forth trying to get it fixed under warranty which they did not give in it. More searching, I found out that the TCU stood for the Telematics Control Module or something like that. So I questioned him, why would i need to replace that. He told me things like the SOS and bluetooth would not work. Yet thats not even why I brought my car in and those things are working perfectly! So I took my car back with that error message still on. Ok to cut this story shorter, (sorry) I contacted Garry from BMW of Newport on the advice of various forum members and I was able to purchase the Control Module from him for $200 bucks. He sent it next day to me and I removed the old control module (which had no signs of rust or corrosion as told by the dealer), replaced it with the new module, and bam, the error message is removed from the dashboard and the Tire Pressure Monitor checks out OK! I just saved myself $1600 bucks. And it took all of 5 minutes.

Lesson to be learned. Do a lot of researching and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. It can save you hundreds of dollars.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dalangi' post='879593' date='May 15 2009, 01:27 PM
hey guys
I had a few posts here and there so I wanted to make a new one to let everyone know my results.

I bought a 2008 535xi a few weeks ago from the auction and it had a Tire Pressure Monitor Malfunction. It was not reading the sensors on the tire, or even recognizing the system. Long story short I took it to Rallye BMW in Westbury, NY to fix a few things as well as the Tire Pressure Monitor malfunction. Dealer told me that the total cost to me would be $1800. He said that water had gone into my trunk and damaged the TCU module and Tire pressure monitor module. After doing some researching I found that BMW actually has a service bulletin that water enters the trunk and ruins some of the electrics that are in that vicinity. Anyhow when telling the Dealer that, he said they did high pressure water tests and water did not come in from the outside, rather something was spilled inside. He went on to tell me that the wires and connectors were all corroded and clear water damage was apparent. Anyhow we went back and forth trying to get it fixed under warranty which they did not give in it. More searching, I found out that the TCU stood for the Telematics Control Module or something like that. So I questioned him, why would i need to replace that. He told me things like the SOS and bluetooth would not work. Yet thats not even why I brought my car in and those things are working perfectly! So I took my car back with that error message still on. Ok to cut this story shorter, (sorry) I contacted Garry from BMW of Newport on the advice of various forum members and I was able to purchase the Control Module from him for $200 bucks. He sent it next day to me and I removed the old control module (which had no signs of rust or corrosion as told by the dealer), replaced it with the new module, and bam, the error message is removed from the dashboard and the Tire Pressure Monitor checks out OK! I just saved myself $1600 bucks. And it took all of 5 minutes.

Lesson to be learned. Do a lot of researching and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. It can save you hundreds of dollars.

good for you man thats an awesome story

sucks that so many dealers do this kind of shit but they really think that many of us dont know our cars at all
Old 05-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear everything worked out.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Sweet. Score another one for Garry! Congrats on figuring this out! That money saved will buy a lot of mods.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Glad to hear things got worked out. It may be time to find another dealer for future service visits though!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

pretty sweet story... that shit is common with the freakin dealers. Neway which auction did you get your car from? and how much did you drop on it ($)? "just curious" .. Gud job though..
Old 05-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Yea I was pretty excited that $200 did the job, yet pissed that they would have taken my $1800 bucks if i had money to throw around. Im considering writing them a letter and even contacting BMW of North America. Im going to wait a few weeks and make sure there are no issues than start firing out the complaints. I bought the car from Manheim Pennsylvania. I got a great deal because the miles are a little high, but it still has the existing new car warranty and the car even has a Certified Pre Owned warranty, so you cant go wrong. Its a 2008 535xi with 40,000 miles for $31,900. The vehicle loaded with all the features brand new is $72,000 so you can't go wrong with that price!

Thanks to Garry for supplying me the part at a low price, and all the forum members for answering my many many questions and also all their posts instructing me where the module is located and how easy it was to do it myself!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Good for you!! and another for Garry the man..
Old 05-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Good for you for standing your ground and doing the research. Thanks to you, I'll keep an eye out for this problem and I will follow your advice. Isn't this a great board?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dalangi' post='879593' date='May 15 2009, 03:27 PM
hey guys

You are a gentleman and a scholar. A little ugly one, but still.

Very enjoyable to hear a success story like this. I am extremely eager to get my hands on a shop manual for my 07 530, but they ain't making 'em yet. Every once in a while, the book will clue me or you into an action plan that can save $$.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor Malfunction FIXED for $200 instead of Deale