Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Tipping the SA?

Old 05-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Krozi
I get the same same exact service you just mentioned, but I don't have to pay my SA to get it. Sucks for you.
That's great. You see, with all the modifications on my car, many dealerships wouldn't take the risk of working on my car and reporting that the malfuntion was a stock related issue, when it wasn't. When I take care of my advisors (discreetly, of course), my car might as well be stock. If you get the same treatment for a bottle of white zinfandel, you should probably thank your daddy again -- he keeps hooking you up.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
Well paying? Are you aware what a service advisor makes? I wouldn't classify it as well-paying. Wait a second -- you don't even work for a living, so you probably can't relate.
Yes I am aware of what they make. It's good money. Maybe not enough to buy everything under the sun, but the average guy would be very happy with that kind of money.

I really don't know what your problem is with me.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

My SA is really nice and I could never see me giving him $100, it would just be really awkward.
Yeah, it's probably best you don't. If I were in his shoes, receiving a tip from a 17 year old that drives a $70K+ car that his dad bought him, would be a little awkward. Smart move.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I'm really sorry that a grown man finds it necessary to rip on someone not even 1/2 his age for no apparent reason.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

While donuts are nice and all I'm pretty sure they have enough in the trunks of all their new/used inventory... This is of course a dealership we're talking about, they serve one purpose, to make money (or to take yours)... the good ones will provide you with outstanding customer service but they aren't required to. That being said, I always tip cash in a card and envelope towards the holiday season. My SA is great and he honestly takes care of my car and warranties items even now that i'm no longer covered

donuts suit thanking children for doing their elementary school homework better in my eyes. You want great service cash talks end of story. I promise you they won't take it as an insult or think it is inpersonal.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Contributors

I'm really sorry that a grown man finds it necessary to rip on someone not even 1/2 his age.
Marc -

I think you should stick to the topics of discussing cars, not life as an adult, until you have a little more experience on the latter. Additionally, after reading some of your more recent posts to Gene, it's very clear why you wouldn't understand -- and I think Gene was trying to give you the hint as well.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
Marc -

I think you should stick to the topics of discussing cars, not life as an adult, until you have a little more experience on the latter. Additionally, after reading some of your more recent posts to Gene, it's very clear why you wouldn't understand -- and I think Gene was trying to give you the hint as well.
Dearly noted.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Wow.

In all fairness, most native Europeans don't understand the "value" of a cash tip.

But as how its perceived by the receiver - let me tell you this experience:

When I moved to Germany, I spent about 3 weeks in a hotel until I found a place to live. My first morning, I ate breakfast at a buffet in the hotel dining room. I asked the waiter for a coke w/glass of ice to drink instead of coffee or tea. Anyone who has every been to Germany knows that soda w/breakfast is not the norm and ice cubes in a drink just doesn't happen unless you are in a location that caters to westerners. The waiter was very polite and got what I asked - he even tried his best to speak english. When I got up to leave I thanked him and gave him a 2 Euro tip (not alot in my opinion)
The next morning when I went to eat breakfast, I passed by the same waiter as I left my table to go to the breakfast bar. When I got back there was a bottle of coke, a glass of ice, and a english newspaper already at my table and I didn't ask for any of it.

A few weeks later when I attended a "head start" class to learn more about German culture, the instructor told my class that "excessive" cash tipping was considered inappropriate. Even 2 Euro's was considered excessive. Many people, including myself, disagreed to the point that we felt that Germans would just have to deal with our "inappropriate" behavior whenever it occurs and just move on.

During my time in Europe I've been in many other situations where a cash tip was received with a TON of gratitude and return favors. So anyone who thinks its still inappropriate is entitled to their opinion, but they are missing out - or as some members would say, "They just don't get it.".