Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

For those in Europe, is 520d a worthy entry level?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 03:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

This is my second post ....my first had no reponse, but I realise now that the topic was a mystery to all. Anyway, hopefully I'll get a reply to this. The bottom line is that I need to choose a company car and I'm trying to decide either getting a lowly specified e60 (520d) or a m sport packaged 320d e90.

This all comes down to tax of course hence the reasoning for choosing a diesel. I've test driven the 320d SE and found it to be a good fun car. I've yet to drive an e60 and won't have chance in the near future, however I still need to place the order with the fleet manager.

I love the look of the e60 but I'm concerned that the 520d will be sluggish. What do people think? The official performance figures quoted by BMW seem very similar to the e90 (which I find strange in itself ). Have BMW got a good track record of living up to performance promises before the car is released? Do you guys think that this will be a worthy entry level into the e60 or is not worth considering unless it's a 525d or bigger? Bear in mind that I have a minimum potential drive of 600 miles a week and my initial requirement out of the car is that is comfortable and quiet and has a "bit of poke" when required, I also want to feel special in the car and for it to have road presence.

I currently drive my personal car which is an old Mercedes 190e 2.5 16v (Cosworth) and I plan on keeping that forever as it is a great handling car and I love it's character. I've worked out that there is a ?28 per month difference in cost between me getting a 320d m sport or a basic 520d. But I keep thinking that the handling on the 320d would be too similar to my Cosworth and therefore I will have missed out on the "executive" feel of the 5 series. I am 38 for what it's worth.

Any advice you guys can give me will be truly appeciated
smilie
Old 08-23-2005, 04:07 AM
Contributors

Hi Mark and welcome aboard

while I follow the logic, the 520d might just be a bit sluggish and with poverty-spec that fleet managers insist on, the e90 would be the better buy in my mind unless you need the space.

don't forget, they are both great cars but Half the fun of the E60 (in my mind) is the technology such as idrive/pronav etc etc. A base 520 would leave you asking for more.

now, the E90 is a great car and not THAT much smaller than the 5. The 2 litre diesel is an absolute peach of an engine and suits it very well (I'm running about in a 120d while my car gets my argument with my garage wall repaired)

in the 1 series, the engine pulls like a train and revs like no diesel should.

sorry I've just confused you more but in summary

Buy with your brain.......E90
Buy with your eyes........E60
Buy with your heart.......Flog the merc and get a 535d !

cheers

DD
Old 08-23-2005, 05:25 AM
Members

Thanks for the response DD and I hear what your saying. I guess you've pretty much summed it up with "Buy with your brain" etc. I did wonder about the Idrive being a let down without Sat Nav or phone. The thing is I'm a techie and was looking forward to the technology.

My wife thinks that I would be better off in the E90, I guess I just didn't want to blend in with all of the other E90's soon to hit the road, I guess at least they won't be the M sport , however from the pictures I've seen it doesn't seem to have the same impact as the 5 m sport package which I really lust after (except the Aluminium cube interior, not a big fan of that!)

Cheers
Old 08-23-2005, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

The 520d does 0-60 in 8.7 seconds. That's faster than an Audi A4 2.0 tdi, and exactly the same CO2. Just been comparing details myself - for someone needing to replace an Audi A4 company car.

I'd prefer to have the E60. One reason I didn't get a 3 series is because they are w*****mobiles. Every sales*** has one.

I'm sure there won't be a huge difference between the E60 & E90, performance wise. That is, I'd still prefer the E60 even if it meant being a little slower.

The 520d *will* be very popular. Don't worry about it being a lemon. A well-specced E90 will still look like a 3 series. A poverty spec E60 will always look like a 5 series.

Get the 60 - you will *love* it. Don't listen to those who can afford a 535d. Decide what's right for you.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:46 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d Mystic Blue Business Line

The question is : which kind of car do you want to drive ?

Driving a 520d or 320d with the M package is not exactly the same.

In both cases, you will surely have a car that differentiates from the others but :

The 320d is on the sport side : great acceleration (8.3s 0-100 km/h) and very hard suspension.

The 520d is ont the confort side : very quiet and confortable car and still good acceleration (8.6s).

Coming from an E46 320d, I had to decide between an E90 320d nearly fully equipped or an E60 525d with only business pack. I chose the E60 and cleary enjoy my choice.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d, Silver Grey, Beige Leather, PDC, Sun Blinds On Order LCI 523iA, Jet Black, Beige Leather, Heated Seats, Rear Sun Blinds, Bluetooth, M Steering Wheel

I also came from an E46 320d to a E60 525d, the 525d is much more refined and there is less vibration, not sure if this is solely due to the 6 clyinders or the extra sound deadening in the 5 series (I'm no help there then!).

Personally I think the E60 has much more presence than the E90 which is a bit bland and will soon be seen everywhere.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I would go for the 520 d E60, no doubt.

With the milage you'll do (> 30K/year), the comfort and silence of a E60 is what you need.
A E60 is also more "executive" than the E90.

You can then play with your fine classic M-B on the weekends
Old 08-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Members

Thanks for the replies guys, I kind of agree with all that are in favour of the e60. My heart has always said the e60 as It impresses me the most visually. The 3 series does seem a little uninspired to me , however I've no doubt that it is probably a more spirited drive.

As you point out fantamos I need to decide what kind of drive I want, and the truth is I want a quiet, comfortable ride and have a level of style with it. I think the impending common sight of the e90 is bit of a turn off.

I have 2 small children as well and the extra room would be nice.

As you've pointed out Riracing my Benz will provide the fun when I need a
blast on narrow country roads at the weekend.

The e60 seems to step up a level in class ..all be it a perceived one as some ex e60 owners have commented that the build quality is better in the e90! Obviously if I were to go to the e90 forums opinion will be different, I guess I'll have to align myself with one that pulls me the strongest and so far that is e60.

Have you guys driven an e90? I watched a video of Fifth Gear's e90 road test the other day and the tester said that he thought that it was quieter than the 5 series. Anyone have experience of this?

Just wondered, the 5 series is traditionally seen as conservative and for middle managers etc, do you guys fall into that category?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Mark,

I owned a 530d E60 for 18 months then briefly switched to a 320d SE E90. I think the 2.0d engine will be far too underpowered in the E60 - there is a considerable weight difference between these cars. The 2.0d makes the E90 a very rapid car. You can easily find yourself doing well over 100mph without realising you are doing it as the car is so quiet. A lowly spec'ed E60 frankly looks awful IMHO. I take it you are in the UK. I'd say go for the 320d M sport and get Le Mans blue as this will initially be a rare colour. You'll get more bang for your buck and more equipment too. Heresy on an E60 board I know but I truly believe that BMW have made a mistake putting the four pot diesel into the E60 in the UK.

Nearly forgot. If your budget will stretch to it (and bearing in mind the additional company car tax you will be liable for) I'd strongly advise you to go for the steptronic box. The auto is mated superbly with the 2.0 diesel and makes one of the smoothest drivetrains out there. It gives effortless power in DS mode but is very relaxing when driving at low speed on congested roads.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Aug 23 2005, 04:41 PM
Mark,

I owned a 530d E60 for 18 months then briefly switched to a 320d SE E90. I think the 2.0d engine will be far too underpowered in the E60 - there is a considerable weight difference between these cars. The 2.0d makes the E90 a very rapid car. You can easily find yourself doing well over 100mph without realising you are doing it as the car is so quiet. A lowly spec'ed E60 frankly looks awful IMHO. I take it you are in the UK. I'd say go for the 320d M sport and get Le Mans blue as this will initially be a rare colour. You'll get more bang for your buck and more equipment too. Heresy on an E60 board I know but I truly believe that BMW have made a mistake putting the four pot diesel into the E60 in the UK.
[snapback]162584[/snapback]

There is a marginal weight difference between the E90 and E60, especially when each is configured with the same motor. This accounts for the similar acceleration times. I guess, not having yet driven the E90, the 3 comes with quicker steering and more dynamic handling owing to its narrower track, shorter wheelbase, and stiffer suspension.

If looks, comfort and cruising are important, I think the E60 wouldn't be a bad choice in this case.

Just my two cents.

CVT Benhogan

Quick Reply: For those in Europe, is 520d a worthy entry level?