Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Tell me if I'm just paranoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

This is the second time I'm using this shop - what's worse, a shop I've recommended in the past, Bay Diagnostic in Brooklyn, NY.

I dropped of the car for a spark plug swap and an oil change (didn't feel like doing it myself in 30 degree weather) and I get it back with the brake light on. The message in the iDrive says that the pads are worn to their minimum, etc etc etc. The curious part? When I dropped the car of, this message was NOT ON Brakes squeaked, as usual (or at least it seemed "usual"), but no messages from the iDrive - its why I didn't worry about replacing them right now to begin with.

I asked the shop and their explanation was not very pliable - something to the extent that since they hooked the car up to the diagnostic tool, the error message came up first on the tool and now shows up on the dash and iDrive. How come NEVER BEFORE?!?! Their "theory" was - maybe the threshold for the message just happened today when I dropped the car off. Isn't it more likely that they just bent the sensors a bit? Now, granted, my brakes aren't new by any measure, but this is one helluva coincidence IMHO. Come to think of it, the first time I used this shop, I sensed something off too - original estimate was about one third of what the job actually ended up costing.

I'm still getting the new brakes, but I don't think I want to take my car to this shop again... unless I'm off and it is completely possible that the iDrive message could've come up only after the car was hooked up to the diagnostic tool - could that even be?

Oh! Yes, vendors, let me know what deals you have on brakes - I'm getting front x-drilled and slotted rotors, pads all around and steel lines for the front. Also would like some caliper paint (bavarian blue - like the blue in the roundel - or closest there is to it).
Old 02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Something similar happened to my wife's MB. I took it in to the dealership for service and some warranty work. The SA starts blowing smoke about the pads being way low. Since I bought the car used I was planning on getting new pads/rotors anyway - just not from the dealership. I get the car back in time for my wife to go on a road trip to FL and the day she was going to leave wouldn't you know it....the brake warning light came on. She ends up driving my 5er and I spend the weekend getting her brakes fixed. I actually did check the pads after the SA mentioned it and they were indeed low.

I've never heard a peep out of my brakes since I first bought the car. If your brakes were squeaking when you dropped the car off then it's probably a coincidence the light came on while it was there. I sincerely doubt they took the time to intentionaly bend the sensors - no guarantee that you would pay them for the repairs. However, I WOULD be suspicious that they went for a quick joy-ride in your car while they had it and it subsequently caused your brake pads to wear past the warning point.

No matter what, you've already had two suspect experiences with this place. I would have went somewhere else after the first....just my $.02
Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka
Something similar happened to my wife's MB. I took it in to the dealership for service and some warranty work. The SA starts blowing smoke about the pads being way low. Since I bought the car used I was planning on getting new pads/rotors anyway - just not from the dealership. I get the car back in time for my wife to go on a road trip to FL and the day she was going to leave wouldn't you know it....the brake warning light came on. She ends up driving my 5er and I spend the weekend getting her brakes fixed. I actually did check the pads after the SA mentioned it and they were indeed low.

I've never heard a peep out of my brakes since I first bought the car. If your brakes were squeaking when you dropped the car off then it's probably a coincidence the light came on while it was there. I sincerely doubt they took the time to intentionaly bend the sensors - no guarantee that you would pay them for the repairs. However, I WOULD be suspicious that they went for a quick joy-ride in your car while they had it and it subsequently caused your brake pads to wear past the warning point.

No matter what, you've already had two suspect experiences with this place. I would have went somewhere else after the first....just my $.02
Thanks for the quick response! I'm ordering the brakes tonight but it will take a while to get here (probably about 6 business days) - now I'm afraid to drive the car hopefully the 300-400 highway miles that I drive between now and when the new brakes go on won't do any damage. I checked the pads and it looks like they are getting to their last levels, but I'll be sure to stop by another shop and have them take a look at the brakes too - just in case my visual inspection isn't enough

Fool me once - full me twice kind of thing with the shop, I guess... I'll be looking for a new place nearby - these guys just sort of got me since they are an authorized Dinan dealer. Whatever the case, I'm just not feeling the energy in that place, I guess first time - grossly under-estimated the job, second time this
Old 02-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I really don't think you can hurt the calipers and the rotors are moot since you are getting new ones anyway.

Just be a little more cautious when driving - try to avoid braking real hard unless you absolutely have to.

I'd be more worried about hearing a grinding sound instead of a squeak.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Contributors

yeah they underquote and then drop the real price on you when they have your car there and have you by the balls

i wouldnt use a shop that made me nervous the entire time my car was there, that just causes gray hairs man
Old 02-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
yeah they underquote and then drop the real price on you when they have your car there and have you by the balls

i wouldnt use a shop that made me nervous the entire time my car was there, that just causes gray hairs man
What do you think about that light coming on, E? Is their explanation anything close to legit?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Contributors

honestly dude, no idea these cars have electric gremlins and it can be caused by either a bad connection, a broken connection or an actual need to replace
Old 02-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
honestly dude, no idea these cars have electric gremlins and it can be caused by either a bad connection, a broken connection or an actual need to replace
Either way, pukka is right - if the shop isn't making me feel comfortable, I should go elsewhere... which is what I'll do in the morning just to get a second opinion on the pads - I think they are ok to drive a few more days, but I want a mechanic to look at them and tell me what he thinks.

Now, I need me some brakes