Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Sunroof Leak - $1300 to $2100 in damage!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hello All,

Last Friday morning my '06 530xi 6-speed was "reset" (all iDrive settings, time, date, etc were nulled out). Checked the battery and it was at about %50. Charged the battery to %100 and let it set over night (not connected to the car). It lost its charge so I replaced the battery with the same spec Werker. Reset everything, but a "AWD, ABS, DSC, EBV and EMERG EBV malfunction" control message kept appearing in iDrive. I tried the left to right reset with the steering wheel, but no luck....

Sunroof Leak - $1300 to $2100 in damage!!!-idrive.jpg

Long story short, took the car to the dealer. They spent 5 to 6 hours trying to find the issue and found a clogged drain in my sunroof that caused water to gradually leak all the way down under my passenger seat. Which, in turn, caused 1, maybe 2, $800 modules to corrode thus resulting in the "AWD, ABS, DSC, EBV and EMERG EBV malfunction."

I don't design expensive luxury car computer systems for a living (I design software), but, if I did, I would do my best not to place expensive, mission critical modules in harms way. Heck, one my kids could have spilled an Icy (not that I let my kids eat or drink in my car) and caused the same problem - and we all know how well the cup holders work! Imagine spilling a venti coffee down there!

So, I'm in to the dealer for at least $1300 if the "other" module is OK, but if it too is damaged then I'm in for over $2100. The service manager is going to summit a "goodwill" claim to BMWUSA, but due to the fact the water came from outside the vehicle he doubts I'll get any help. Maybe they need their website reworked??? I could do it for them - it is kind of plastic looking.

I wish I had the extra $2000+ to throw at this repair and I knew BMW's were somewhat expensive to maintain, but this is terrible. It hurts my heart. I feel like I have been kicked in the stomach by horse. Times are not the best for some of us (it could be worse - still trying to think on the positive side), but if BMW sticks me with this repair (as they have probably done others) they are probably doing just fine.

Ranting aside, I wonder if my car insurance would cover this since the damage was caused by an external element? Anyone ever tried this route? I doubt they will...there goes my kids college fund, AGAIN!!!

Please, please make sure those sunroof drains are clean. Unless you have the extra $2k US to throw around...if you do then feel free to throw it my way!!!

The really sad part is that I can't wait to get the car back! I've been driving a little 328i with x-drive, auto tranny, no iDrive, no CA, no premium or sport package (that I can tell at least) - just the base model I think. The 5 series is a really fun car to drive...

My car has about 56k miles. Do you guys think this is a freak incident or am I just living on borrowed time until the next disaster hits?

Great forum by the way. I feel a little (just a little) better now that I have made this post!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

I would press the dealership on this one.
Seems to me that unless there is some mention to the owner to examine and clean out this drain then, it's a design defect.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lorinzo' post='894164' date='May 29 2009, 02:14 PM
Seems to me that unless there is some mention to the owner to examine and clean out this drain then, it's a design defect.

Excellent point!!! I'll most certainly give it a try.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rjbmw' post='894172' date='May 29 2009, 01:32 PM
Excellent point!!! I'll most certainly give it a try.
More sad news. I believe all cars today have their electronic modules under the floor. Keep in mind that the BMW 5 series trunk has a ton of electronics back there. Some have spilled an ice chest and complained about similar problems/expenses.

Re insurance, I recommend that you talk anonymously to several adjusters asking for their opinions. Start with an ins company other than yours.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='894984' date='May 30 2009, 02:33 PM
Re insurance, I recommend that you talk anonymously to several adjusters asking for their opinions. Start with an ins company other than yours.
I tried calling an Allstate insurance company rep (I have a different ins company) and they said it is possible, but they would have to speak with the adjuster. However, I can't speak with an Allstate adjuster as Allstate does not provide my insurance.

Any suggestions on how to speak with an ins adjuster from a company that does not provide my ins? (other than personal contacts)

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e36 318i manual convertible top, 5 speed manual, calypso red/black soft top, cassette am/fm radio, heated sand leatherette seats, michelin mxv4 allseason tires (100% stock) e60 545i sport package, 6 speed manual, sapphire black, 18" 124 wheels bridgestone runflats (summer) 17" rial salerno dunlop runflats (winter) navigation, satelite radio, winter package, PDC, sunshades, wood trim, dakota leather seats (100% stock)

Originally Posted by lorinzo' post='894164' date='May 29 2009, 01:14 PM

+1 This is absolutely not a freak incident. The clogged sunroof drain problem is a very common problem with the e60s, especially those sitting outside on dealer lots. It's dirt and grime residue from water traveling down the sunroof drain. The cost to repair is exacerbated by BMW?s design decision to put expensive electronics in the trunk of all places. In most cases, this is not an avoidable issue where simple maintenance on the owner's part could have prevented the problem. The problem with the clogged drain is easily identifiable and can?t be mistaken for an incident of misuse, i.e. a owner unwisely stores liquid in the trunk. If you use your sunroof often you will get this problem in time. Many cars have been repaired at little or no cost to the owner within as little as two or three years or 20K to 30K miles into the warranty period.

Considering the lack of miles on these cars when this issue arises, I would certainly press my dealer and/or BMWNA to cover all or a substantial portion of your total repair bill. Keep a record of all discussions of this problem, especially any promises made by the dealer. Be insistent, but respectful. Argue to them that unless you had residue from leaves in the sunroof track, this is not a matter of negligence or misuse on your part. Being a longstanding BMW customer or a customer who has made recent expensive repairs on the car may be factors that can possibly be influential in their decision. Good Luck!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by lorinzo' post='894164' date='May 29 2009, 02:14 PM

+3
Old 05-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Bummer. I hope you get some help.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Members

Hi All,

All of your well wishes must have helped. BMW is going to cover all except $700 of the now $2800 repair bill. Of course I would prefer they pay for it all, but I'll settle for the $700.

An interesting tidbit of info the service rep gave me - according to him the sunroof drains are not owner serviceable, thus, the reason BMWNA was "giving me a break" on the repair costs. I'm not sure this is the case because I have yet to see the drains because my car is still in the shop!!!

He is probably just blowing smoke, but I thought I would share...

If someone has done a DIY or knows how to clean these drains please link it in to this thread. Again, I don't have my car back yet, so I have no clue.

I hope to get my baby back on Friday.

Thanks again for the responses and the well wishes!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

Good news.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Leak - $1300 to $2100 in damage!!!