Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Sport package worth the extra $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='May 15 2005, 05:02 PM
[quote name='CVTBenhogan' date='May 14 2005, 09:10 PM']IMHO, I feel sorry for those driving with the wimpy 17s and not having BMW's finest driving tech.? Further, if money is an issue, get the new 530 with the R6 engine and add the sports package.??

If you want straight line speed and comfort, get a MB.

CVT Benhogan
545 ED in the Fall
[snapback]128644[/snapback]
OK, now I'm getting offended! Frankly CVT, I can get by just fine without your pity. It is this general lack of tolerance of others likes/dislikes that chased me from Roadfly. This is starting sound like nothing but criticism of folks without the sports package!!! Ridiculous! The non-sports 545 handles beautifully and frankly the incremental handling improvement vs. the price is an issue for many people. And before you chime in with another enlightened comment CVT, cost was not an issue, I wrote a check for my car. And writing that check for another $3,000 wasn't going to break the bank. It is a real cost benefit decision for every person. You feel added handling given by the SP is worth the the $3,000, others happen to disagree with you.
[snapback]128965[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ken,

With all due respect to your reasons for buying the no SP. I understand that bad roads, tramlining AS etc are factors that under many circumstances make the SP a bad buy. BUT why do you take this so personally, I recall the last time you raised unwarranted objection because some of us provided positive feedback on AS. Its OK not to have the SP as far as I am concerned, but its also OK to have an opinion against it.

Hormazd
Old 05-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

I think it's great that the car is available with and without sport package. Although I personally was not entranced by the 545i without sport pack, obviously many happy owners are. And that's great! That is why it is so important IMO to drive the car with the specific configuration you are considering. Sport pack or not is one obvious example; all 3 tranny choices (I have been excoriated on another board for being a "lazy slushbox driver" - but I love the Steptronic); Comfort Seats. Only the individual purchaser can truly decide the cost-benefit equation for each of these options, since the character of the automobile really changes a lot with each decision.

Vive les differences!
Old 05-15-2005, 04:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' date='May 15 2005, 04:14 PM
I think it's great that the car is available with and without sport package.? Although I personally was not entranced by the 545i without sport pack, obviously many happy owners are.? And that's great!? That is why it is so important IMO to drive the car with the specific configuration you are considering.? Sport pack or not is one obvious example; all 3 tranny choices (I have been excoriated on another board for being a "lazy slushbox driver" - but I love the Steptronic); Comfort Seats.? Only the individual purchaser can truly decide the cost-benefit equation for each of these options, since the character of the automobile really changes a lot with each decision.

Vive les differences!
[snapback]128972[/snapback]

Yup thats why BMW is the only company to offer THIS many choices in a car for the consumer!
Old 05-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='May 15 2005, 06:08 PM
[quote name='kscarrol' date='May 15 2005, 05:02 PM'][quote name='CVTBenhogan' date='May 14 2005, 09:10 PM']IMHO, I feel sorry for those driving with the wimpy 17s and not having BMW's finest driving tech.? Further, if money is an issue, get the new 530 with the R6 engine and add the sports package.??

If you want straight line speed and comfort, get a MB.

CVT Benhogan
545 ED in the Fall
[snapback]128644[/snapback]
OK, now I'm getting offended! Frankly CVT, I can get by just fine without your pity. It is this general lack of tolerance of others likes/dislikes that chased me from Roadfly. This is starting sound like nothing but criticism of folks without the sports package!!! Ridiculous! The non-sports 545 handles beautifully and frankly the incremental handling improvement vs. the price is an issue for many people. And before you chime in with another enlightened comment CVT, cost was not an issue, I wrote a check for my car. And writing that check for another $3,000 wasn't going to break the bank. It is a real cost benefit decision for every person. You feel added handling given by the SP is worth the the $3,000, others happen to disagree with you.
[snapback]128965[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ken,

With all due respect to your reasons for buying the no SP. I understand that bad roads, tramlining AS etc are factors that under many circumstances make the SP a bad buy. BUT why do you take this so personally, I recall the last time you raised unwarranted objection because some of us provided positive feedback on AS. Its OK not to have the SP as far as I am concerned, but its also OK to have an opinion against it.

Hormazd
[snapback]128968[/snapback]
[/quote]

Horzmad, all you have to do is read the difference between CVT's response and MaxBucks. Max has nothing negative to say about anyones choice of car or options and simply expresses his opinion of the sports package. Read CVT and comments like "I feel sorry for those guys riding around on 17s" says a lot. My only point has been that ridiculous, over the top comments like these are not constructive or informative to the original posters question. And with all due respect to you Horzmad, go back and read my comments about AS. I never once raised an objection about someone making a positive comment/feedback about AS. I DID express my opinion based on my personal experience and DID raise an objection when similar, disparaging comments were made about those who did not have AS. CVT's comments imply, no, not just imply, actually state that if you don't have a 545 w/ sports package, you shouldn't bother buying a BMW and should be buying something else.

Look, I said this back in that AS thread, the car is a great car, regardless of the options you choose. There is no need for posters to criticize others for their choices, it does not make a lesser car.