Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Sport package worth the extra $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Guys, as a matter of interest what components of the sport package could be retrofitted to a non-sport E60? Anyone know?
Old 05-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='May 13 2005, 05:20 PM
[quote name='stream' date='May 13 2005, 04:19 PM']It all depends on what kind of driving experience you want, and how much money you want to spend.? If you want a pretty fast luxury sedan with a comfy ride, and handling is secondary, I'd say the sport package isn't for you--and probably a BMW 545i isn't worth it either.?
[snapback]128155[/snapback]
As someone without the sports package, I'll have to take exception to this comment. Even without the sports package, my 545 handles better than any other car I have driven. Is handling better with the sports package? Sure, but to say that handling is secondary is a bit extreme to me. Makes ths issue a bit too black and white. And I can tell you, a 545 without the sports package is absolutely worth it!
[snapback]128181[/snapback]
[/quote]

I did not intend to offend anybodys option choices ...so let me elaborate...

I have friends with 545i's without the sport package, and they say the reason they didn't get the sport package was because it made the ride harsher, and a more comfortable ride was more important to them than better handling. So they put ride comfort higher in their priority list than handling--to them, ride comfort was primary, and handling was secondary.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:55 AM
Members

When I bought my 02 e39 I opted to get the 525i with sport over a 530i without sport. While straight line acceleration is nice, to me there is nothing that can replace the feeling of taking a corner at a rate of speed without effort. The e39 did not have Active Roll Stabilization but the sport tuned suspension and bigger wheels with low profile tires was enough to make a very noticeable difference. So as mentioned already it comes down to driving style, styling preference and perhaps affordability. Get what you can justify to your budget. Any e60 will make you happy. Though personally I would like to see the Sport Package become standard on every BMW. That would be the proper way to claim 'The Ultimate Driving Machine'.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Contributors

Personally, I would never buy a BMW without the sport package. I think it just makes the car that much more of what it already is. And that is, a sporty luxo-cruiser. If you want a pure luxury automobile, buy a benz or a lexus or a jaguar. I always thought people who leaned more towards BMW's were doing so because they are sportier and more driver oriented. That being said, nothing drives like a BMW and nothing drives like a BMW with a sport package. So, to answer your question. Yes, the sport package is not only worth it but totally completes the vehicle. My opinion.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh yes sports package is definetly worth it! its a MUST! If I can only chose 1 option that would be it.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by stream' date='May 14 2005, 09:18 AM
I did not intend to offend anybodys option choices ? ...so let me elaborate...

I have friends with 545i's without the sport package, and they say the reason they didn't get the sport package was because it made the ride harsher, and a more comfortable ride was more important to them than better handling.? So they put ride comfort higher in their priority list than handling--to them, ride comfort was primary, and handling was secondary.
[snapback]128440[/snapback]
Stream, no offense taken. For me, the only reason I passed on the sports package was the Active Steering. Don't worry, I understand that at that early stage that I ordered (Dec 2003), the AS needed some fine tuning and is much improved now. Simply was not the case when I bought my car. Also, while the sports package may indeed make the ride a bit harsher and that is factored into some folks decision, my point was the car handles very well without the sports package. It is not a simple choice of a car that has a luxurious ride and doesn't handle all that well vs. a sporty, sharp handling car.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i alpine white/beige, sport package, nav, premium sound, cold weather

Get the sport pacckage. It's the only way to go.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='May 13 2005, 06:19 PM
It all depends on what kind of driving experience you want, and how much money you want to spend.? If you want a pretty fast luxury sedan with a comfy ride, and handling is secondary, I'd say the sport package isn't for you--and probably a BMW 545i isn't worth it either.?

For me, the sport package, with the 18" wheels, active roll stabilization, active steering, sport seats, etc., is well worth it to make the 545i about as close as you can get to a 4 door sports car--short of an M5, of course.? And from a cosmetic perspective, the 3/4" lowered stance, with the 18" wheels and tires filling the wheel wells, and the black shadowline trim, really do the trick.?

I've driven Porsches for over 15 years so I'm pretty particular when it come to driving enjoyment, and the 4 months I've had my 545i w/ sport package have not disappointed.
[snapback]128155[/snapback]
I have to say that posts like this one convinced me to test drive and eventually order a 545i with the sport package.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Little' date='May 13 2005, 03:17 PM
I'm back, hehe, still can't decide what car to get.? I'm back to the 545i again.? Gonna get hard numbers this wknd, but wanna know a few things.? Is the sports package really worth the money??? Basically i know i want a black on black with navigation.? Just wanna get an idea what i want to tell them.
[snapback]128115[/snapback]

The sports pack is the NUMBER ONE OPTION. YOU MUST, I REPEAT, YOU MUST GET IT!!!!! I could not feel more strongly about this.

The 18s are a must, not to mention the awesome active roll. No one has complained about the active roll system, ride quality (some complaints about runflats wearing quick) and those lovely wheels. As other point out, sports seats (much nicer than stock), and lower ride height are bonuses. Opinions are mixed about active steering and some say comfort seats are much better than the sports. For 3K, its a great deal and a must have.

IMHO, I feel sorry for those driving with the wimpy 17s and not having BMW's finest driving tech. Further, if money is an issue, get the new 530 with the R6 engine and add the sports package.

If you want straight line speed and comfort, get a MB.

CVT Benhogan
545 ED in the Fall
Old 05-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' date='May 14 2005, 09:10 PM
IMHO, I feel sorry for those driving with the wimpy 17s and not having BMW's finest driving tech.? Further, if money is an issue, get the new 530 with the R6 engine and add the sports package.?

If you want straight line speed and comfort, get a MB.

CVT Benhogan
545 ED in the Fall
[snapback]128644[/snapback]
OK, now I'm getting offended! Frankly CVT, I can get by just fine without your pity. It is this general lack of tolerance of others likes/dislikes that chased me from Roadfly. This is starting sound like nothing but criticism of folks without the sports package!!! Ridiculous! The non-sports 545 handles beautifully and frankly the incremental handling improvement vs. the price is an issue for many people. And before you chime in with another enlightened comment CVT, cost was not an issue, I wrote a check for my car. And writing that check for another $3,000 wasn't going to break the bank. It is a real cost benefit decision for every person. You feel added handling given by the SP is worth the the $3,000, others happen to disagree with you.

Quick Reply: Sport package worth the extra $$$$