Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Specing out a MY '05 , little insight please

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Its not like the BMW Active Steering is different and all other vehicles are the same. Do all of you that can't drive with Active Steering crash into things when you drive another car in your family or when you rent a car?
This is my third 5 series and I have had Jeep Grand Cherokee's with each of them. I can enter driveways faster with my Jeep than I can with any of my BMW's without bottoming the front spoiler. Is there a defect with the BMW's??? My Jeep turns slower than any of my BMW's, so I drive it differently.
When I make a turn in my current BMW with Active Steering, I try to turn the wheel only enough to make the car go where I want it, not until I hit something.
It is a great option, expensive at $3000 for the sports package, but BMW's are supposed to be the "Utimate Driving Machine" and not a Mercedes or Lexus.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I adapted pretty quickly to the AS. I noticed better handling, but the car appeared to be a bit more demanding in having the driver concentrate on where the car was going as opposed to it having some leeway if concentration slipped for a second or two. The car tends, for me anyway, to meander more than a regular steering car, but after you are sensiive to that, and recognize that it has this tendancy, then it becomes natural to be more careful about keeping it in line.

I did have a problem after becoming comfortable driving the E60, when switching back to my old Mercedes, to almost go up on the curb when the steering did not respond as I had expected.

To Dr. Z -- I grew up in Elyria, so I know what you mean about those six month winters - and the bad roads.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Contributors

Thanks all for your relies.
They lean tward AS.
I will test drive some more before order is final, only problem is that with currant DME recall there isn't any 545's at dealers to drive.

I have only drove 530's with AS, would that make a differance with the heavier front end of the 545i ?

Aslo what car's did some of you have prior to the AS equiped one?

DR.Z
Old 08-02-2004, 12:53 PM

The 545 w/o the sport package is like a porsche with snow tires, it just isn't right.
I too have noticed the correction in windy conditions, and would agree that it is a bit concerning. However drive the car through the mountains, or a road that snakes along the shore line and you will never go back. MHO..
Old 08-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Contributors

sorry, forgot to log in
Old 08-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I think that cars with AS are more solid, even when it's windy and you're on a highway, than cars with regular steering.
That might be the reason I am NOT going to buy the M5, because they don't offer AS on it!!!
Absolutely unbelievable...
Old 08-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

As I said I think it takes getting used too. Though I still find it strange that they don't offer it on the M5. Maybe the M5 has an upgraded steeringsystem that is more direct than the normal E60 with or without AS.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 2 2004, 11:07 PM
Maybe the M5 has an upgraded steeringsystem that is more direct than the normal E60 with or without AS.
I don't think so.
A friend of mine had the chance to test drive it (he works for a supplier who has one for testings)...
Old 08-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

What was his comment on the sound of the engine.. I've seen a small movie from a (I think) swedish car magazine.. The sound is absolutely incredible.. I'm not very fond of the exterior looks of the car. Especially the side grills and the wheels don't do it for me. Don't know why but just ain't feeling them. The interior looks fabulous, the alcantara headliner is superb (wish we could retrofit that in beige!!!)
Old 08-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Contributors

I have a 545i 6-speed manual with the sports package & AS. Prior to buying the 545i last March I drove a 525i with a 5-speed. I have had many BMWs over the years (side note, looking at the age poll I am an old guy @ 52) one of my favorite features was the steering. It was ALWAYS rock solid, tracked well on the freeway and was positive in the turns. I would not use those same words to describe AS. It requires more "attention" than my other BMWs. It is amazing how small the turning radius is on the 545i. It is also amazing how you can throw this car through a set of turns. That being said, don't take your eyes off the road for a second. IMHO, it is not so much better than it is different. It takes some getting used to. I could not drive my 545i worth a s*&% for at least two months. Would I get AS again? Yes, I feel it is an intergral part of the 545i sport package.

Quick Reply: Specing out a MY '05 , little insight please