Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Specing out a MY '05 , little insight please

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 03:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I have been lurking on this site for some time and have enjoyed my visits.

I'm looking into my dealers 05 allocations and about to order a 545i.
After a few test drives I still am unsure about options .
I have always believed a BMW without Sport Package was a mistake, but the currant setup has me wondering. After extended drives I can't get use to the active steer, or the hard run flats.

My first impression of Active Steer as I exited the dealership was a feeling of a front wheel drive car. I could feel the ratio changing as I hard accelerated up the street and it was a bit odd.
Also I drove it over a long high level bridge with a bit of cross wind and felt the wheels correcting
a unnatural feeling to say the least. I currantly own a 330Ci and love it's firm connected steering
with plenty of feedback, I think I will miss that. Also the 530i I drove seemed to glide , not float on the freeway in an almost slightly unconnected way.

Living in Cleveland OH. this car will be a daily driver so four snow tires are needed for at least 6 months out of the year. I think that the standard 17" wheels will be fine for snow tire use, then a set of BBS 19" and a good set of preformance tires ( non-run flat ) would be more practical. I'm not sure if I can get used to the preformance run flats on the bad Cleveland roads.
The run flats felt like solid rubber tires.

I plan on getting Comfort seat option so sport seat is a wash.
I also have an excellant tech that has serviced and modified my other BMW's on the weekends at my dealership, I though maybe I could have the standard suspension tweaked a bit if needed.
And with light BBS 19's and good preformace tires I would have the best of both worlds for my personal application.

I'm cetaintly giving this more thought then I should ( i.e. obsessing maybe ) and maybe a little advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

DR.Z
Old 08-01-2004, 03:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I've had a testdrive in an active steered 5 series before ordering my car. I could not get used to the unconnected feeling too. Maybe if you drive it for a long time to I could get used too it but I also have another car and changing from one car to my other car would mean continues getting used to. The selfcorrection with wind and tramlining felt very strange to me too. I had my brother with me and he drove it for 5 minute through the city, pulled over and asked me if I could drive it because he felt unsecure not knowing how far he had to turn the steeringwheel for making a turn.. That made the decission not taking it easy because my wife has to drive the car sometimes too. And occasionally I use a chauffeur to drive me somewhere and I sit in the back. The guy normally drives a mercedes and also would have to get used to it with me sitting in the back.. No thank you!
Old 08-01-2004, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I don't want to drive without AS anymore!
This is a must IMHO!
Inever had a problem with it, it is very intuitive!
Old 08-01-2004, 05:06 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I have a 545 with the sport package. I love active steering, it makes the car feel much lighter/smaller. The active suspension is unbelievable, the car won't lean in a turn. The wheels look great and I had a flat on one of the runflats and liked not having to change the tire before getting it fixed.
I have 3 months of potential snow, but usually we only get 3-5 snows, but I also have a Grand Cherokee. Haven't had my car in the snow but its not suposed to be pretty.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Active steering is terrific!

It ruins you and makes you crazy when driving other cars!!

I can't live without it now...
Old 08-01-2004, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I allmost had an accident in the dealers parking lot when he gave me a 520 loaner without AS...
Old 08-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 1 2004, 10:08 AM
I allmost had an accident in the dealers parking lot when he gave me a 520 loaner without AS...
That is the reason why I am not feeling it.. I drive to many other cars that don't have it..
Old 08-01-2004, 11:33 AM

I have driven a 530d with AS and actually enjoyed it, although I must admit, it was a very drive with only a few curves and turns to manage.

Some of the negative opinions make me wonder if I didn't test it enough or it wasn't that big of a problem for me.

Another perspective though--if it's so great, then why has BMW chosen not include it in the M5? Seems like if it makes the E60 such a spectacular car then surely they would include it in the Ultimate E60.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Remember I only drove it for 1,5 hours so I didn't have the time to get used to it. Everybody that has it on their car is very enthusiastic about it.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

When I went for my test drive, I had this option and I immediately adapted to it -
it is easy business style cruising - I liked it a lot.... nonetheless did not order it at the end. My opinion> steering wheel...steering axle....wheels.....road...I want it
direct and simple and more connected with the road. It's a matter of driving style
and personal. Try it with and without !! Only you can decide

Quick Reply: Specing out a MY '05 , little insight please