Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Speccing JBOO's E60

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after everyone's advice on the getting an automatic diesel, I booked a test drive with a 530d Auto.

The results were awesome, however, not really what I'm looking for in this purchase.

It just didn't have the sports car feel that I want. Yes, it was sporty and had great power, but it wasn't what I enjoy.

I like driving manuals, especially BMW manuals. I'm a big fan of the 3 series and enjoy their high revving engines.

I only decided to go with a diesel because I had heard wonderful things about their performance. I just didn't reealize it was with an automatic.

I'm not going to buy a manual diesel and risk a terrible resale.

So, what do I do?
Old 06-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

Depends on how much you were going to spend on extras.

For example, my 530d came to about ?41.5k with extras. Now I could have bought the 545i with no extras (although we get a fair bit more kit as standard on the 545i in the UK).

The reason I didn't was I knew I couldn't afford the running costs and extra insurance.

So what I am trying to say is you could possibly go for the 545i if you were originally going for a heavily loaded 530d
Old 06-22-2004, 04:04 AM
Members

Hey JBOO,

Just curious...

Did you ever resolve your dilemma over the Diesel Manual versus Auto? I face exactly the same problem, I just prefer manual transmission but want the performance of the 530D, even more so as the way I'd be getting my car through a company purchase scheme means the 530D manual is going to cost me only very slightly more than the 525I manual. Unfortunately I'm having a real hard time finding a manual 530D demo vehicle in the UK..I've decided driving one is the only way I'd find out whether I can live with it or not! If not I guess it will be a 525I (life is so tough having to make these decisions )
Old 06-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

No, I haven't been able to get any responses really from those that have diesels engines with manual transmissions. I started a poll to see if there actually were any and it appeats that the amount of manual diesels compared to maunal gasoline engines are similar.

I really havent had the time to find a test drive in one either. Maybe this weekend though?

I don't undertsand why there would be such a diffence, when other BMW models are purchased with manual diesels all the time.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:32 AM
Members

ok thanks for the update. I'll keep you posted on my own experiences if I manage to find a diesel manual to test drive in the UK! good luck
Old 06-26-2004, 04:49 AM
Senior Members

I have just returned from driving a 530i and I must say, that I wasn't overly impressed. It just didn't have the power/acceleration that I expected from this combo. Don't get me wrong, it was fast, in a smooth, subtle way. It just didn't give the same thrill as when I drove a 330 with the same engine. I know on paper, they are very similar perfromance wise, but to me it was different. The salesman said the manual diesel would give me more powerful feeling, however, he said 9 out of 10 buyers opt for the auto so I don't want to buy something that no one else wants.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong model of BMW? If I was looking for a family or business car, the 5 would be perfect. However, I'm wanting something that I can drive back and forth to work and make each trip enjoyable. I have not gotten that feeling from the 530d auto or 530i manual.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-26-2004, 04:54 AM
Contributors

Sorry to see your experience was not that enjoyable. I can't wait to drive my car. I usually find an excuse each time to give it a go. I love the feel of the car personally and couldn't settle for anything less.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

The E60 is a great car and the 3.0 wasn't a slouch. It was just different than I had hoped. Like I said, maybe it's not the right type of car for what I'm wanting. The Cooper S that I sold, had just over 200 h.p. with some tuning and it felt/sounded so much more sporty. I can't say that it was faster, but to my senses, it sure seemed like it. The quiteness and smooth power delivery was nice, but I wan't something a little more raw and exhilarating for my car. If it doubled as my family car, this would be perfect. However, it will be used by me 90% of the time abd I want something with a little more bite.

Maybe I need the M5 to get that out of the E60.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

JBOO - The reason why I am going for a 530i automatic is the exact reason why you don't want it. I really want a relaxed car, a cruiser, a limo

If you want a more sporty car the 330I would be a nice option. I testdrove an 330i automatic ones and it was really sporty and fast + a family car (you can even get the sportwagon if you want more room). In the end I decided to go for the 330Ci convertible manual and I've always regretted that I didn't get the automatic transmission. The manual gearbox with the 3 litre engine was a ba d combo i felt. I had the feeling that the 5 speed manual gearbox wasn't able to cope with the power. Maybe the 6 speed is better. I also had problems with my clutch pressure plates resulting in clutchslipping when running the car hard. I also found the gearchange from 1 to 2nd gear was harsh and made a lot of clunking noise. Also clutchtravel was far to long for my idea.

Where are you located in NL??? I'm next to Delft.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:58 PM

I would definitely buy a 3 series if they weren't going to re-design in the next year or so. I'd hate to buy now and have the reslae value drop when the new model appears. Overall, it's my favorite BMW though, especially with the 3.0 and manual.

If I hadn't just bought the wife a new family hauler, I would get a diesel touring, with automatic. Since it's only my car however, I want something a little less relaxed.

I wish I could get a good review from someone with a diesel manual or find one to test on my own?

BTW, I'm near Boxmeer.

Quick Reply: Speccing JBOO's E60