Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Software Upgrade - Got to be a way!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My production date is 07/04 on my 545i and I am wanting my bluetooth ability enabled. My SA verified I do not need a TCU upgrade and was told the software upgrade would be covered under warranty. However, they are now saying the software upgrade is more major and will NOT be covered since bluetooth is an accessory and there is no other "warrantied" need.

Now I just need a different reason for them to upgrade the software that WOULD be covered by warranty and it will get me my bluetooth turned on in the process.

Any ideas?
Old 08-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Tell them that your manual indicates that you should have MP3 and that it was your understanding that your car had it when you purchased (e.g., as told to you by BMW reps)--at least if these things are true for you. My manual mentions the MP3 capability of my car, but it wasn't MP3 capable when I got it. And my SA told me that the 545i's were MP3 capable. So, my dealer did my MP3 upgrade for free. IMO, one is entitled an upgrade if something is broken or if a feature that is supposed to be there is missing. In the second case, you need to support the idea that a supposed-to-be feature is missing. The manual is good support, and what you were told by BMW reps provides good support if your are believed or can document what you were told.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Enabling RDS is another feature that you should have. You can only get this feature with updated software.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Contributors

Wats RDS again?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='323874' date='Aug 18 2006, 05:52 AM
Wats RDS again?
Radio Data System

ABC
Old 08-18-2006, 02:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VTec' post='323844' date='Aug 18 2006, 04:25 AM
My production date is 07/04 on my 545i and I am wanting my bluetooth ability enabled. My SA verified I do not need a TCU upgrade and was told the software upgrade would be covered under warranty. However, they are now saying the software upgrade is more major and will NOT be covered since bluetooth is an accessory and there is no other "warrantied" need.

Now I just need a different reason for them to upgrade the software that WOULD be covered by warranty and it will get me my bluetooth turned on in the process.

Any ideas?
You could also complain about slow lurching geat changes if you have the steptronic.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

had the same problem with mp3..kinda supprised you dont have bluetooth enabled....
told them that the idrive gets stuck every now and then...they changed the unit, now even a better version with mp3
you dont have to use that one you can use the one with the radio, or use the one that the radio "mutes" for a few seconds then comes back on..or the i-drive takes to long to boot,
i sugest say that the idrive restarts all by itself...

just remebered the second time i wanted the upgrade. i decided to install aux-in, i was gonna install it sonner or later and i like the function...so order the parts and installed them...in the install they upgrade the car,,, so another idea if you like aux-in....
Old 08-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

What is ther most recent software version in the USA?

My dealer speaks of V22.00.02 but some on this board write about 23.XX.XX.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Members

Great replies all - thank you!

To give an update, they ended up having an internal communication problem and went ahead with the upgrade w/out my authorization. As a result, they said they would charge me half price. I went ahead - don't want any bad blood w/ my service center. Man, I'm nice!

I'll post an update in the Bluetooth forum, but I was immediately able to pair with my PPC-6700 phone and tested basic making and receiving calls - works great!
Old 08-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Members

Meant to ask - is there an easy way to check the software version they moved me to and a place to find out enhancements between versions? I did a search, but either missed or couldn't find this info.

Quick Reply: Software Upgrade - Got to be a way!