Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Software update warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, SMG, Nav, Pro Logic, etc.

This is a warning for anyone considering a software update to a 2004 e60. I took my 2004 545i (with Nav) in to get a software update so I could play mp3s, and I ended up with a ruined Idrive computer due to a dealer not knowing what they were doing, and to top it off they told me I had to pay for the new unit.

I live in Toronto, Ontario in Canada, and I bought a used 545i with SMG, nav etc. last August. Since then everything worked fine on the car, except for the sport button stopped working. I took the car into a local dealer in Oakville, Budd's BMW, because I thought they had a good service reputation (not to mention I used to take my 3 series there for years previously). I learned about the ability to activate mp3 functionality on my pro radio with a simple SW update, so I scheduled an appointment about a month and a half ago.

I brought the car in for a regular service (brakes, fluids, etc.) and asked the service guy for the mp3 software update, and to check out the smg sports button. After a diagnosis, he ssaid I needed a SMG software update that may fix the sports button, and that would also update my entire SW, but I would have to pay $400 for it because it was out of warranty. I agreed, but didn't get my car back for a week, because it took the service department 9 times to get my SW updated, the last two times with BMW Canada's assistance. To me it was pretty obvious there was an issue with the SW compatibility, and the service guy even said he was embarassed he didn't know the issue and it took so long, I was just happy to get my car back, for a total price of $1800 including the routine service. They also identified the issue with the sports button was I just needed a new button installed ($40), after they told me to try the $400 SW update first.

The mp3 funtionality didn't work after I got the car back. A day after I got my car back, all my audio stopped working, and within 2 days my idrive started resetting itself repeatedly every half hour or so. I called the service rep back a few times (didn't return my calls) and finally I booked an appointment through customer service. I tried to make it a priority appointment since I didn't have use of audio for my tunes or my nav, but more importanty I thought this was bad for my system to keep rebooting all the time, but I was told I had to wait for 3 weeks.

About 4 days before my scheduled appointment, the Idrive system stopped turning on, which isn't a shock given it had reset itself a number of times. I told the same service rep I just wanted my car back to the way it was, because having mp3 functionality wasn't worth the hassle I was going through. I was told the idrive computer was dead and it would cost $2000 (before tax) to get a new one installed. Also, the amplifier may be dead which would cost me another $2200 to replace. I was livid, given the fact I paid $400 to get SW installed, it didn't work, and it killed my system.

After going up the chain of service managers with the issue to finally emailing the owner of the company (Daryl Budd), and contacting BMW Canada, I got nowhere. There first offer was that I pay for the computer and they would cover the amp if it needed to be replaced. Eventually they said they would pay half for each.

My issue was that they wouldn't take any accountability for killing my system with the SW update. It was obvious that was what killed my system. They said it was software from Germany that they simply install, and they can't be responsible for the result. They said even if the SW update killed my system while it was in their shop, they wouldn't be accountable for a new unit. There hadn't been any issues before I brought it in, and after my system goes bezerk. I also think if they would have taken my car in earlier, the system could've been preserved. I mentioned to the service guy that I read about issues with SW updates and the early model e60's and he said you can't beleive the stuff people write online, once they got the SW to confirm the installation, everything was fine (for a day)....

I spent over a week arguing this issue with everyone, and asking for assistance from BMW Canada (which didn't help at all). In essence I wanted the quick mp3 update, I got talked into a $400 software upgrade, and my system was killed.

I eventually decided to get the system installed for the half price, since taking it anywhere else would've cost me full price. On my receipt, it looked like the dealer claimed it as regular warranty work with a $1000 deductible, which means they got BMW Canada to cover it and got a deductible from me. I'm speculating, but either way I can't beleive this happened. Luckily, the amplifier was fine, and my system works now, but of course no mp3. I wish someone could give me some advice on any other options I may have, but I wanted to recommend that everyone be sure they need a SW update before getting it, or ensure your dealer will take stand behind their work.

This whole experience has left a sour taste in my mouth about BMW, and it's unfortunete that it's the result of one of BMW Canada's largest dealerships with multiple locations. Beware!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by FastLane' post='593341' date='Jun 2 2008, 08:08 AM
I eventually decided to get the system installed for the half price, since taking it anywhere else would've cost me full price. On my receipt, it looked like the dealer claimed it as regular warranty work with a $1000 deductible, which means they got BMW Canada to cover it and got a deductible from me. I'm speculating, but either way I can't beleive this happened. Luckily, the amplifier was fine, and my system works now, but of course no mp3. I wish someone could give me some advice on any other options I may have, but I wanted to recommend that everyone be sure they need a SW update before getting it, or ensure your dealer will take stand behind their work.
I believe the 'early' E60's didn't support MP3 even with updated software due to the CD drive itself. The unit was updated to support MP3 later on and no matter how they update your software it will never work!

What an insult to charge you for a procedure that would never work and then get you to pay when they wreck it!
Old 06-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

I think it could be retrofit play MP3's in the DVD drive for the NAV unit with software 21.0 and higher IIRC.

The software update would not allow MP3 playback in the CD drive in an 04 due to hardware limitations.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

I had the mp3 capability software update done on my 04 a year or so ago. No problem - it worked fine.

On the subject of SW update going wrong - my dealer advised me that from now on (basically any car out of warranty) , any software update is at the customer's risk. So if my CCC or amplifier died after a sotware update - this would be on my bill.

seems to be policy now...
Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

That's why I refuse to get any software updates. If it aint broke, don't fix it. It is ridiculous how theses dealerships get away with murder!!! In the end no one is accountable for their actions. What happened to the customer is always right?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by andy545' post='596055' date='Jun 5 2008, 01:15 PM
I had the mp3 capability software update done on my 04 a year or so ago. No problem - it worked fine.
CD or DVD drive?

AFAIK the compatible CD drive turned up around June/July 2004 so your October model is fine!
Old 06-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='595553' date='Jun 4 2008, 02:49 PM
I believe the 'early' E60's didn't support MP3 even with updated software due to the CD drive itself. The unit was updated to support MP3 later on and no matter how they update your software it will never work!

What an insult to charge you for a procedure that would never work and then get you to pay when they wreck it!

Yeah, completely ridiculous, and to top things off after I received my car with the new mask unit, my navigation dvd isn't working, and the mp3 didn't work. I swore I wouldn't go back to the dealership, but ended up taking it back for these two issues. They did activate the mp3 so that was a plus, but told me the new unit won't work with the old nav dvd, I need to spend $300 on the updated version. It's not that much to spend, but based on what I've got for the $3000 to date, I'd rather just buy a nuvi unit for the $300...
Old 06-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by andy545' post='596055' date='Jun 5 2008, 08:15 AM

On the subject of SW update going wrong - my dealer advised me that from now on (basically any car out of warranty) , any software update is at the customer's risk. So if my CCC or amplifier died after a sotware update - this would be on my bill.

seems to be policy now...

Even though I disagree with that policy, I could accept it if they mentioned it ahead of time. I told them they should stipulate, update SW at your own risk, and I would've said forget the mp3, I'll just go with the ipod adapter, ah well... lesson learned I guess...
Old 06-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by colejl' post='595553
I think it could be retrofit play MP3's in the DVD drive for the NAV unit with software 21.0 and higher IIRC.

The software update would not allow MP3 playback in the CD drive in an 04 due to hardware limitations.
+1 only the early build with NAV can get MP3 playback enabled.