Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Should I collect new car with the wife and kinds

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: An 1994 Ashamed-Mobile Partially Loaded, Leather. Radioless, Heatless, Gas-needleless.

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='271342' date='Apr 19 2006, 08:56 PM
I am eagerly awaiting 29th April to collect my first ever BMW (E60 530 D SE) and am wondering if I should get a lift with the wife and two young daughters (no interest in cars except colour) to the dealer, or take a train and do it on my own. The checklist I am taking (thanks to this forum) looks like a 1 hour experience plus all the paperwork and the kids will ged bored with the dealers play area.

What are your experiences?

Previous A4 took 30 minutes and got the best deal from a dealer too far away to take the family
I'm interested in the pick-up checklist. Does anyone have the link?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

Go on your own and enyoy it.

I collected my first 4 BMW's on my own without any pressure of having to rush.

With my E60, I had to rush to hospital straight afterwards with my wife & kids (long story), and I really felt like I missed out on an important part of the buying experience.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='271371' date='Apr 19 2006, 10:36 PM
Spec killed by going for a 530D rather than 520D (currently have 1.9 TDI 130 2003)
Only went for Silver Grey, Auto, brushed aluminium shadow line trim, hi fi speakers, sports seats & wheel, space saver spare (will change out of RFT's in future)
Good compromise IMHO. The 530d will prove better value in the long run than a high-spec'd 520/5d. Plus the engine is sublime...
Old 04-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

I took my g/f and our two girls (11 & 9). My g/f went home early in her A4 1.9 Tdi 130 (I feel a pattern emerging here) with the youngest. My eldest daughter sat in the back whilst the dealer showed me the main points in the car. She was more excited than I was because she couldn't wait to get her hands on the I-Drive. When the dealer left me to it, my daughter jumped in the front. Before we had left the car park she had programmed the Sat Nav with our home address and had the biggest grin any 11 year old ever had. If, like me, you bought the E60 as a family car, take the family with you, you mean old bugger. They'll love the experience. My g/f who is very French really isn't into cars, the proof of which is that the only car she wouldn't want is a Skoda! So she was pretty bored.

p.s. However good I thought the A4 was, you soon get used to the lower quality interior construction of the E60, it takes about 20 seconds when you realise just how old it makes the A4 feel. Once I'd got over the initial "It's different" type of feelings I cannot quite bring myself to admit just how good a car it is. On a recent trip to Liverpool, the g/f commented on how confortable it was (I have confort seats). That was about the only positive thing she has ever said about one of my cars!
Old 04-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='271889' date='Apr 20 2006, 10:16 PM
I took my g/f and our two girls (11 & 9). My g/f went home early in her A4 1.9 Tdi 130 (I feel a pattern emerging here) with the youngest. My eldest daughter sat in the back whilst the dealer showed me the main points in the car. She was more excited than I was because she couldn't wait to get her hands on the I-Drive. When the dealer left me to it, my daughter jumped in the front. Before we had left the car park she had programmed the Sat Nav with our home address and had the biggest grin any 11 year old ever had. If, like me, you bought the E60 as a family car, take the family with you, you mean old bugger. They'll love the experience. My g/f who is very French really isn't into cars, the proof of which is that the only car she wouldn't want is a Skoda! So she was pretty bored.

p.s. However good I thought the A4 was, you soon get used to the lower quality interior construction of the E60, it takes about 20 seconds when you realise just how old it makes the A4 feel. Once I'd got over the initial "It's different" type of feelings I cannot quite bring myself to admit just how good a car it is. On a recent trip to Liverpool, the g/f commented on how confortable it was (I have confort seats). That was about the only positive thing she has ever said about one of my cars!
Thought I'd decided to go it alone now you say this
My 7 & 9 year old girls may be of assistance after all to sort the I drive out

I am currently brushing up the A4 (same as yours) Akoya Silver for collection by the finance company and I think it looks great, like new after 3 years. My wife raves about the A4 but she has never seen an E60 (probably has but does'nt know she will be able to drive one in a week)

Am on a trip to Manchester for a 40th 3 days after I collect the beast - hope she will be impressed