Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Scratched wheel on delivery

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thelmuffinman32' post='270620' date='Apr 18 2006, 04:46 PM
20's! But seriously I would go to the dealer and explain to the manager what happened and ask for a new wheel. If he says no or he can't do it, tell him you would like this to be repaired right this time.
Simple choice - new wheel or new car !

You did the right thing letting them try to repair it though. The original fault was minor and did not necessitate a new wheel.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

I say the only course of action now is to demand a new wheel. You did try to avoid any real hassle for them the first time around, only to have it turn into a bigger, albeit not substantial, problem.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, titanium silver, gray leather, sport package, premium package, Logic 7, steptronic, folding rear seats, comfort seats, comfort access, heated front seats

Another update. I took the car back to the dealer today and they told me that they were going to try and fix it again but I could not drive the car for 3 to 4 hours to let the paint and clearcoat dry. They said the brake dust would get stuck on the wet paint and clearcoat and cause the color of the wheel to have a dark tint to it. Yeah, thanks for telling me that yesterday. :thumbsdown: They were going to offer me a loaner for the rest of the day which was nice of them but by this time is was already insisting on a new wheel. At first my SA told me that getting a new wheel was probably not going to happen but she would ask the manager which I also insisted on. After talking with the manager and telling her that this was how the car was delivered and that I had already come down to the dealer twice since I bought the car for this issue that I wanted a new wheel since the car was supposed to be brand new (no issues whatsoever). I guess we finally saw eye to eye and she agreed. Sqeaky wheel (no pun intended) gets the grease. Wheel is ordered and will be in by the end of the week.

One more thing, my wife told me that I'm too particular and anal about my car. How come most women don't understand stuff like this. She thinks I should have just not said anything from the start. Needless to say, she's not much of a car person.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by calzona' post='268900' date='Apr 14 2006, 02:33 PM
I recently took delivery of my 06' 530i and during the delivery inspection I noticed a small but deep scratch on the right front wheel. The delivery was at night and I wanted to thank the delivery checklist that reminded me to take a flashlight cause I would have never seen it without it. I informed the manager and he told me that they have someone that comes by the dealership a couple times a week that fixes small wheel scratches and to just make an appointment. That is fine but has anyone else had something like this fixed properly without ever knowing it was there? Another question I have is because I ordered the car and it was brand new if I should ask for a whole new wheel. Here's the picture.

Attachment 17810

go to the dealer and complain! let the dealer re-paint that wheel!
Old 04-26-2006, 04:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by calzona' post='270895' date='Apr 19 2006, 03:55 AM
Another update. I took the car back to the dealer today and they told me that they were going to try and fix it again but I could not drive the car for 3 to 4 hours to let the paint and clearcoat dry. They said the brake dust would get stuck on the wet paint and clearcoat and cause the color of the wheel to have a dark tint to it. Yeah, thanks for telling me that yesterday. :thumbsdown: They were going to offer me a loaner for the rest of the day which was nice of them but by this time is was already insisting on a new wheel. At first my SA told me that getting a new wheel was probably not going to happen but she would ask the manager which I also insisted on. After talking with the manager and telling her that this was how the car was delivered and that I had already come down to the dealer twice since I bought the car for this issue that I wanted a new wheel since the car was supposed to be brand new (no issues whatsoever). I guess we finally saw eye to eye and she agreed. Sqeaky wheel (no pun intended) gets the grease. Wheel is ordered and will be in by the end of the week.

One more thing, my wife told me that I'm too particular and anal about my car. How come most women don't understand stuff like this. She thinks I should have just not said anything from the start. Needless to say, she's not much of a car person.
Normally BMW quality controllers have to check that everything is ok, and then the dealers before handing over once again.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by calzona' post='270895' date='Apr 19 2006, 02:55 AM

Well done - sometimes we have to politely insist on good customer service

I have to say, when I saw your initial picture - I did think it was a VERY minor scratch - you'll get much worse in daily use I'm sure.

But ... having said that - you noticed it and it was a fault - why should you have to put up with it ?

Like I said - well done ... lets just hope the new wheel isn't damaged

(oh and you could cheekily ask what they are doing with the old one - it'll probably wind them up but if they have no use for it you could keep it as a useful spare! - they probably won't give it to you though just to prove a point)
Old 04-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Members

For a scratch that small, I would have probably forgotten about it in a few seconds simply because I would be too pre-occupied with actually DRIVING the car. I mean, you are probably going to accumulate more scratchs and scuffs like that in a month or 2 anyways, then what are you gonna do? Go buy a new set of wheels? Your wife was right, but too each their own.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Since it sounds like this happens all the time with this dealer and they won't give you a new one, the repair guy must be pretty good. Be sure to post some pics of the repair. Congrats on the new ride!