Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Scratched wheel on delivery

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calzona' post='268900' date='Apr 14 2006, 07:33 AM
I recently took delivery of my 06' 530i and during the delivery inspection I noticed a small but deep scratch on the right front wheel. The delivery was at night and I wanted to thank the delivery checklist that reminded me to take a flashlight cause I would have never seen it without it. I informed the manager and he told me that they have someone that comes by the dealership a couple times a week that fixes small wheel scratches and to just make an appointment. That is fine but has anyone else had something like this fixed properly without ever knowing it was there? Another question I have is because I ordered the car and it was brand new if I should ask for a whole new wheel. Here's the picture.
That is a TINY problem.

I understand the dilemma - the new car SHOULD be perfect and it isn't.

But this is a very small nick... let them repair it and if they can't do so insist on new wheel.

In the meantime enjoy your FANTASTIC new car
Old 04-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, titanium silver, gray leather, sport package, premium package, Logic 7, steptronic, folding rear seats, comfort seats, comfort access, heated front seats

Other than the scratched wheel, it is absolutely beautiful. I had a 2003 E39 530i and the differences are night and day in a good way. I just wish I could take it out more to enjoy it but it seems like it's never going to stop raining here! :thumbsdown:
Old 04-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree. there should be no visible scratches on a brand new auto. minor scratches should be completely repaired or replaced. the whole sale cost of the wheel is minimal to bmw/dealer to be responsible for damage.

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='269065' date='Apr 14 2006, 09:02 AM
I'm too much of an perfectionist - I would demand a brand new wheel!
I would never take delivery of a brand new car with any defects!

I actually got a similar scratch in my garage last Wednesday when they changed
my winterwheels to summer ones and I have a old scatch, too.

I would like to know how to repair it?
Old 04-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black/Black Leather AUTO Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation Logic 7 Audio Satellite Radio Fold Down Rear Seats

Originally Posted by iceman316' post='269211' date='Apr 14 2006, 04:54 PM
Its great excuse to get some 20's
LOL
Old 04-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, titanium silver, gray leather, sport package, premium package, Logic 7, steptronic, folding rear seats, comfort seats, comfort access, heated front seats

Here's an update. I took the car in today to get the wheel fixed and everything was fine until about 5 hours later when i was cleaning the wheels (of brake dust) i noticed all this sticky stuff all over the wheel, not just where the scratch was. I just used soap and water to clean the wheels. The paint the guy used to put over the scratch was just rubbing right off and leaving that back of a sticker like substance on the wheel exposing the spot where he sanded the wheel down and painted over it. Now I've got this inch diameter white spot on my wheel. I called the dealer and they said that they would call the guy and find out whats up. I'm now thinking about just asking for a new wheel all together because this car was supposed to be brand new. Now I've got a much bigger problem because the small quarter or an inch scratch is now a inch diameter white circle. The other issue I had was why there was paint all over the rim and tire for a small quarter on inch scratch? :thumbsdown: The guy that fixed the wheel and BMW never said anything about not washing the vehicle for a certain period of time. What do you guys and girls recommend? Ask for a new wheel or try the repair again and hope for the best?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by calzona' post='270414' date='Apr 18 2006, 02:29 AM
Here's an update. I took the car in today to get the wheel fixed and everything was fine until about 5 hours later when i was cleaning the wheels (of brake dust) i noticed all this sticky stuff all over the wheel, not just where the scratch was. I just used soap and water to clean the wheels. The paint the guy used to put over the scratch was just rubbing right off and leaving that back of a sticker like substance on the wheel exposing the spot where he sanded the wheel down and painted over it. Now I've got this inch diameter white spot on my wheel. I called the dealer and they said that they would call the guy and find out whats up. I'm now thinking about just asking for a new wheel all together because this car was supposed to be brand new. Now I've got a much bigger problem because the small quarter or an inch scratch is now a inch diameter white circle. The other issue I had was why there was paint all over the rim and tire for a small quarter on inch scratch? :thumbsdown: The guy that fixed the wheel and BMW never said anything about not washing the vehicle for a certain period of time. What do you guys and girls recommend? Ask for a new wheel or try the repair again and hope for the best?
Time to insist on a new wheel I think.

You have already been inconvenienced twice, once when they delivered the car with a fault and again now when they not only failed to fix it but made it worse.

Just point out to your delear that they have now failed twice and I am sure you'll get a new wheel.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

New wheel, no question!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by calzona' post='270414' date='Apr 18 2006, 04:29 AM
The paint the guy used to put over the scratch was just rubbing right off and leaving that back of a sticker like substance on the wheel exposing the spot where he sanded the wheel down and painted over it. Now I've got this inch diameter white spot on my wheel.
Now you HAVE TO get a new wheel!

Incredible slappiness
Old 04-18-2006, 04:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i Touring, M Sport, build date 10/05, Silver Grey, Black leather, Maple Anthracite, Anthracite roof lining, panorama roof, M Aerodynamic, M Steering wheel, M Sport suspension, sport seats, shadow line, 135 M wheels, Goodyear NCT 5 runflats, and some other stuff too.

Sorry, but you should have asked for a new wheel in the first place, they would have been obliged to supply one and it would have been the end of the story. Now the time and effort spent by everyone involved is worth more than the wholesale price of a wheel. Never give car dealers an inch unless there is a clear quid pro quo. With car dealers there rarely is.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Members

20's! But seriously I would go to the dealer and explain to the manager what happened and ask for a new wheel. If he says no or he can't do it, tell him you would like this to be repaired right this time.

Quick Reply: Scratched wheel on delivery