Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Scammed on a 550i purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 04:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO I bought this 2006 550i a couple of weeks ago and was told it has the remainder of the 50K mile warranty left on it. It had "Has warranty" on the window sticker as well. I call the dealership to see about the transmission reprogramming and they said that my car is out of warranty since the delivery date was actually Dec 05. So now I have zero warranty on my car even though that was a requirement I had to spend more on a car like this to protect me from any potential problems that the dealer didn't tell me about. WTF? Is there anything I can do about it? The first guy I mentioned threw the "purchased as is" thing at me but I'm supposed to talk with the manager this morning sometime. Does the purchase paperwork usually have warranty info in it? It's at home and I don't have access to it right now.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

when did you buy the car?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Unless you have something in writing from the dealership that implicitly stated the warranty conditions, or at least something saying that there is a warranty and it's expiration, I think you're out of luck.

However, there is a legal obligation to provide a limited warranty on mechanical parts in some states - you'd have to check your local laws. I think in NY it is 3 months/3k miles, unless stated "Sold As Is" - in which case there should've been a clear warning on the car and the dealer should've reduced the price accordingly.

You can always try going the legal route and use a witness testimony to back you up, but that - as you probably understand - is a long shot.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Yet another case of: If a warranty was really important to you then you should have bought your car from a BMW Dealer and bought it CPO (Certified Pre-Owned), because then it would come with a 6yr/100k warranty and you'd be able to negotiate the extended maint and get 6yr/100k maint too.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by kentrob11
SO I bought this 2006 550i a couple of weeks ago and was told it has the remainder of the 50K mile warranty left on it. It had "Has warranty" on the window sticker as well. I call the dealership to see about the transmission reprogramming and they said that my car is out of warranty since the delivery date was actually Dec 05. So now I have zero warranty on my car even though that was a requirement I had to spend more on a car like this to protect me from any potential problems that the dealer didn't tell me about. WTF? Is there anything I can do about it? The first guy I mentioned threw the "purchased as is" thing at me but I'm supposed to talk with the manager this morning sometime. Does the purchase paperwork usually have warranty info in it? It's at home and I don't have access to it right now.
dude I feel bad for you, but you should have done your homework upfront. Probably too late now - chalk it up as an expensive lesson learned and try to unload it.

In the future, get close to a BMW Sales guy and he can run maintenance records, warranty coverage, etc etc off for you in there system - every BMW is in the "system" so it doesn't matter where you are getting it from, they can tell you the entire history of the vehicle.

Good luck bro!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Doesn't make sense for you to unload the car considering you just bought it.. and I'm sure you liked the car or you wouldn't have bought it, right?

Sounds like you might be shopping for a 3rd party warranty though, at least that's what I would do if you'd like the piece of mind in having the car covered. Use the forum search function to find out suggestions on 3rd party warranties. It's been discussed a LOT so no need to post up your own question asking "what is the best 3rd party warranty."

Sorry to hear about the headache though..
Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

its always a good idea to call a dealer and give them the vin of the car to see when the warranty expires.