Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Salvage car no keys

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I was hoping someone could offer me some help. I am new to this forum and recently bought a 2008 528i from an Insurance auto auction. It was hit in the front nothing serious but here is the reason for my post, the car came with no keys. The day I bought the car I went to a dealer and explained, I had bought a car with no keys and asked what I needed to do to have them replaced. They responded simply bring proof the car is yours and they would give me a new key for around $180 and once I put it in the ignition it will program itself. PERFECT!

Today I took my title along with sales receipt etc to the dealer ready to order a key and when they saw the SALVAGE title they said they could not make the key for me but that instead I had to buy the whole set of locks and keys etc for $850.

Is this true? Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone offer me a way around this problem? I really dont want to spend all that money replacing everything when I simply need one key. I mean how often does anyone even actually use the actual key part?

thanks in advance for everyones help.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Try 2 other stealerships and see if they tell you the same thing.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jcool10181' post='698875' date='Oct 21 2008, 11:57 AM
Try 2 other stealerships and see if they tell you the same thing.
+1 ... the salvage title should not prevent them from reissuing transponders and the key inserts. You only need to provide proof of ownership. It will take a couple of days to receive the keys as they are not made on site. (well at least when I bought an extra 'key' for my 01 740)

In this case, replacing the lock cylinders seems a bit odd to me ???
Old 10-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Angelo6379' post='698866' date='Oct 21 2008, 11:46 AM
Hello everyone, I was hoping someone could offer me some help. I am new to this forum and recently bought a 2008 528i from an Insurance auto auction. It was hit in the front nothing serious but here is the reason for my post, the car came with no keys. The day I bought the car I went to a dealer and explained, I had bought a car with no keys and asked what I needed to do to have them replaced. They responded simply bring proof the car is yours and they would give me a new key for around $180 and once I put it in the ignition it will program itself. PERFECT!

Today I took my title along with sales receipt etc to the dealer ready to order a key and when they saw the SALVAGE title they said they could not make the key for me but that instead I had to buy the whole set of locks and keys etc for $850.

Is this true? Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone offer me a way around this problem? I really dont want to spend all that money replacing everything when I simply need one key. I mean how often does anyone even actually use the actual key part?

im in north jersey too... which dealer did you go to? try jmk in springfield...

btw, howd you start/drive the car? have it towed?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by unknown' post='698910' date='Oct 21 2008, 12:38 PM
im in north jersey too... which dealer did you go to? try jmk in springfield...

btw, howd you start/drive the car? have it towed?
GEEEES --- GOOD QUESTION! He's looking for "keys" ... the only key I have is the small valet stuffed into my fobs (Comfort Access).
Old 10-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Angelo6379' post='698866' date='Oct 21 2008, 11:46 AM

Contact Garry from Newport BMW (check the classified for details). He can get your keys once you provide the proof of ownership. I've inquired him about making spare key in the past.
Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Members

Thanks everyone for responding.

BMW of Bloomfield are actually the ones who turned me down and wanted me to get everything replaced.

I called BMW of Morristown and they hooked me up, they said simply come in with proof of ownership and I will have my key in 2 days! SWEEEEET! So I will be heading over there this afternoon.

As for moving it, we placed it on rollers and onto a flatbed and the rolled it off again.

Thanks for the welcome! I will be on here a lot! lol
Old 10-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Angelo6379' post='698990' date='Oct 21 2008, 01:40 PM
yeah you gotta come out to our meets!
Old 10-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

nice to know that everything worked out ok for you! to the forums!!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Angelo6379' post='698990' date='Oct 21 2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks everyone for responding.

BMW of Bloomfield are actually the ones who turned me down and wanted me to get everything replaced.

I called BMW of Morristown and they hooked me up, they said simply come in with proof of ownership and I will have my key in 2 days! SWEEEEET! So I will be heading over there this afternoon.

As for moving it, we placed it on rollers and onto a flatbed and the rolled it off again.

Glad to hear it's working out for you. Good luck restoring the 528 to usable condition. I'm sure if you need or want parts and advice you'll get it right here!

Quick Reply: Salvage car no keys