5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/)
-   -   Rear wheel alignment shop needed (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/rear-wheel-alignment-shop-needed-53283/)

Heloha 04-10-2008 02:42 PM

I'm looking to get the my rear wheels aligned (so I don't go through the inside rears again :( ) and was told by a local service shop that only the BMW dealer has the tools to adjust the rear camber. He said a regular shop might do a toe adjustment but thats it for the rear. Is this true?

Just by looking at the rear you can see too much negative camber. I don't think the stock alignment is optimum for running 20's.

If you know a realiable place I can go either in Irvine, CA area or Chino Hills/Claremont, CA area, please advise...THANKS! :)

alpinewhite 04-10-2008 02:45 PM

shoreline motoring in Huntington Beach. google them! they do high end car i.e ferraris
they have the ARS program.

Trinity Autosport 04-10-2008 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='559350' date='Apr 10 2008, 03:42 PM
I'm looking to get the my rear wheels aligned (so I don't go through the inside rears again :( ) and was told by a local service shop that only the BMW dealer has the tools to adjust the rear camber. He said a regular shop might do a toe adjustment but thats it for the rear. Is this true?

Just by looking at the rear you can see too much negative camber. I don't think the stock alignment is optimum for running 20's.

If you know a realiable place I can go either in Irvine, CA area or Chino Hills/Claremont, CA area, please advise...THANKS! :)

My guy in Lake Forest can do it. I have a 545i w/ Active Steering and he did EVERYTHING for me. Let me know if you are interested...

DrLev99 04-10-2008 04:17 PM

Just by looking at the rear you can see too much negative camber. I don't think the stock alignment is optimum for running 20's
I don't think by looks alone you can judge if your camber is out of spec or not. I had this issue myself originally, after I slapped my 19's on, or at least I thought I did. Larger wheels tend to trick the eye regarding the "look" of the negative camber, and it still might be to spec. Even having had my rear 19's corrected to -2.00, they still looked (to the eye) like there was too much negative camber. Even my OEM 17's have that noticeable lean-in at the tops, but it's less obvious since the wheels are so much smaller and thinner.

I think you will be surprised how much they still appear to be leaning in after an alignment. And I am not sure how any old shop will know what camber to set the car's camber at arbitrarily or if they would even be willing to. I'd have them keep the rears at -2.00. I am not even sure someone will be able to adjust it to -1.00 or thereabouts even if they tried...there's a limit to how far they can adjust it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.