Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Question about policy for Loaner vehicles for warranty service....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay guys, I need some help with a question about dealer loaner vehicle policies for warranty service. First a bit of background. I own a 2006 BMW 530I. I bought it from a private party (not a dealer) and had the remaining warranty transferred to me. I really like the car, but have encountered my first service issue (Drive Control System Malfunction). I contacted the local dealer and made an appointment to get the car serviced. When I inquired about a Loaner vehicle I was told that they only provide Loaner vehicles to customers having warranty work who had purchased their BMW from their dealership. I was quite shocked.

The dealer for my prior vehicle, an E-320 Mercedes Benz didn't care where I had purchased the car. They provided a Loaner vehicle for all warranty or service work that took over 4 hours. Heck, come to think of it, so did the Lexus dealer...although I did buy my SC-400 (used) from them.

Here's the question; is this typical of BMW dealers? I have no experience with BMW service so I don't have a clue if I should challenge this position. At this point I am very disappointed with their policy, especially when BMW is touting their "superior" service relative to other luxury cars.

BTW, the dealer is Fields BMW of Winter Park. My only other service option is located about 80 miles away in Melborne. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Yep, that's typical. I bought my E39 in Los Angeles and when I moved back to NY with the car, the local dealer would only put me in a rental piece of crap. They wouldn't give me a BMW loaner. Since there's a limited amount of cars they keep on the lot for loaners, they want their customers to come first. Makes sense...I would not one of my customers driving a piece of crap rental if they recently purchased an M5 from me.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Members

Well, I dropped the car off today and it's still there. As a start the are replacing the Steering Angle Sensor. Sounds alot like the same problem others on the board have had. The problem didn't pop up until I started using the Adapative Headlight Setting....wonder if they are interlinked somehow.

Anyway, no loaner. They did give me a shuttle ride back to my office, but I'm totally on my own with respect to getting wheels while my BMW is in the shop getting WARRANTY work. In my humble opinion, the level of service being provided by this BMW dealer certainly does NOT equal that provided by Mercedes or Lexus. If this is how they treat customers who didn't make their purchase with them, rest assured that I won't ever BE a customer who makes a purchase with them. I am very disappointed and will share that with BMWNA, as if that will make a difference.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Vectorprime27' post='474281' date='Sep 25 2007, 07:44 PM
Well, I dropped the car off today and it's still there. As a start the are replacing the Steering Angle Sensor. Sounds alot like the same problem others on the board have had. The problem didn't pop up until I started using the Adapative Headlight Setting....wonder if they are interlinked somehow.

Anyway, no loaner. They did give me a shuttle ride back to my office, but I'm totally on my own with respect to getting wheels while my BMW is in the shop getting WARRANTY work. In my humble opinion, the level of service being provided by this BMW dealer certainly does NOT equal that provided by Mercedes or Lexus. If this is how they treat customers who didn't make their purchase with them, rest assured that I won't ever BE a customer who makes a purchase with them. I am very disappointed and will share that with BMWNA, as if that will make a difference.
You def should! I'm eager to hear what they have to say, as I'd much prefer to have a loaner over a rental.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

BMW/USA rep....do you have any thoughts for our friend 'Vector' ...I know you are here often,....lurking.......because this is one area that needs ALOT of work.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The loaner policy is entirely set by the dealer. Some dealers understand the value of offering loaners to non-customers to hopefully make them happy enough to become a customer in the future, others just don't get it.

I don't know what drives the decision to not offer loaners -- my guess is that they only have a limited amount of them available so they prioritize customers first. Obviously, in my opinion, they should just get more loaners!

I can't say for sure but I think my dealer offers loaners even to customers that didn't buy a car there. I think they are one of the dealers who simply "gets it" and they understand that relationships are built and earned, not inherited or an entitlement. I drove through my dealer's lot the other day on a Sunday and there had to have been at least 25 BMW loaner vehicles parked in the lot. I can only imagine that some more of their loaners were in the hands of customers too so the number can only be higher (as a matter of fact I passed one of their loaners driving down the road minutes before I pulled into the lot.) Considering they have about 10 service bays, I'd say that's a pretty good ratio!

Maybe you can "earn" loaner status at your dealer by using them a couple times for service then asking for one when you schedule a future service visit? When they say they only offer loaners to sales customers, let them know that you are hoping to be a sales customer some day but not getting a loaner now, while they make money off of your service business, is leaving a bad taste in your mouth for future sales business...
Old 09-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='474325' date='Sep 25 2007, 10:20 PM
Maybe you can "earn" loaner status at your dealer by using them a couple times for service then asking for one when you schedule a future service visit? When they say they only offer loaners to sales customers, let them know that you are hoping to be a sales customer some day but not getting a loaner now, while they make money off of your service business, is leaving a bad taste in your mouth for future sales business...
Well, oddly enough the ONLY place this car has been serviced is at that dealer. The Service Advisor had the full history and from the date of delivery until now this was the only place it has ever been. Since the dealer is only about 8 miles from my home, I certainly plan to have it serviced there in the future. It's been over 10 years since I had a car in for warranty service work that I was NOT given a loaner. Lexus and Mercedes both offered this to their customers regardless of where the car was purchased as long as it was warranty work.

I find it very misleading when BMW is making a huge marketing push to tout their "superior" service to the other brands when my experience is certainly inferior service relative to those brand. I really like the car and will likely be purchasing a new one in two years. My wife is also very interested in the X5. Obviously, if we made the purchase with this dealer my issues with a loaner would be mute. However, I have serious reservations about giving them that business in light of the way I'm being treated now. I also plan to make sure anyone who asks me about the car is made aware of this issue. If you aren't going to at least match the service experience and policies of your competitors, I certainly don't think you should be touting yours as better.

Make no mistake, I really like the car. It's easy to see why they have such rabid brand loyalty. My issues are soley with Fields BMW of Winter Park. I would indeed like to hear what BMWNA has to say about this policy.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Vectorprime27' post='475192' date='Sep 27 2007, 05:12 PM
Well, oddly enough the ONLY place this car has been serviced is at that dealer. The Service Advisor had the full history and from the date of delivery until now this was the only place it has ever been. Since the dealer is only about 8 miles from my home, I certainly plan to have it serviced there in the future. It's been over 10 years since I had a car in for warranty service work that I was NOT given a loaner. Lexus and Mercedes both offered this to their customers regardless of where the car was purchased as long as it was warranty work.

I find it very misleading when BMW is making a huge marketing push to tout their "superior" service to the other brands when my experience is certainly inferior service relative to those brand. I really like the car and will likely be purchasing a new one in two years. My wife is also very interested in the X5. Obviously, if we made the purchase with this dealer my issues with a loaner would be mute. However, I have serious reservations about giving them that business in light of the way I'm being treated now. I also plan to make sure anyone who asks me about the car is made aware of this issue. If you aren't going to at least match the service experience and policies of your competitors, I certainly don't think you should be touting yours as better.

Make no mistake, I really like the car. It's easy to see why they have such rabid brand loyalty. My issues are soley with Fields BMW of Winter Park. I would indeed like to hear what BMWNA has to say about this policy.
I understand your frustration but I can assure you the level of service you received at your Lexus dealer is NOT what is offered here in New Orleans. They, like my BMW dealer only provide a loaner if you purchased the car from them. Point being, while I agree that in general Lexus is better on the service side as far as personal service is concerned, it is not uniform and they have poor dealers just like the BMW dealer you have run into. I hope you enjoy the car and don't have to visit this dealer very often!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

I'm bringing my e60 in for warranty service tomorrow. When I called last week to make the appointment I asked for a loaner. The young woman told me that they do not give out loaners for maintainence service. I told her ....My dear young lady, I bought 2 BMW's from here and I am a customer, every time I bring it in for service..... for some reason its always held for 1 day extra. Get me the loaner or I'm pulling both cars. She put me on hold and when she got back on the phone, she informed me, a loaner would be waiting for me tomorrow.

Sometimes you have to push a little.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

I bought my previous BMW in California and my current E60 in Austin, TX. I have always been offered loaner cars when bringing the cars in for service. My office is about 5 blocks from the nearest dealer and I would use their shuttle service, to and from my office, when the car would be ready in one day. There are six BMW dealers in the Houston area. Perhaps they are more generous on loaner cars because of all the local "BMW" competition.

Quick Reply: Question about policy for Loaner vehicles for warranty service....