Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Purchase Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to pull a trigger on a 2007 X3 3.0i, but before I do anything, I just wanted to take your advice on something.

This is the first time for me buying a car from the US to be imported to my country.

My questions are the following:

1-What does CPO really mean (I know its certified pre-owned, but why do you guys prefer it). Does it mean that its 100% insured that its problem free?
2-The carfax says its 1-owner. I know it is a plus, but does it really mean that the person who drove it was careful? That one owner could've been a wreck-less driver, no?
3-The Carfax says its CPO, 1-owner, and lower then 25,000 miles. Does it mean I should blindly trust it and just pull the trigger?
4- Last but not least, since it is a CPO, can I force the dealer to do a full service on the car before I buy it? Engine Oil, Air filter, break pads, etc..

My aunt lives in Miami, FL. There were several X3 on sale over there, but the one my sister picked is in NJ. So my aunt cant take the car to the dealer to have it examined.

Please advise me. We're talking about 30,000$ here. Thank you
Old 07-30-2009, 11:16 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

we don't advise X3 buyers around here

Just kidding, man.

1. CPO is a third-party warranty in the U.S., which might mean that you will not be able to use it anywhere but U.S. It covers most (but not all) of the repairs.
2. Most people around here think one-owner is good. To me, it does not matter at all - most important is that the car is clean and runs well.
3. Nothing ever means you should blindly pull the trigger - but you know that, man otherwise, you wouldn't be asking these questions...
4. If the car is being sold by a dealer, you should definitely make the service a part of the deal - tell them you want them to throw in the service for free. CPO will not authorize service/replacements and so on unless the car's diagnostic system says an item requires service or car is due for a scheduled service.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='960551
1. CPO is a third-party warranty in the U.S., which might mean that you will not be able to use it anywhere but U.S. It covers most (but not all) of the repairs.
2. Most people around here think one-owner is good. To me, it does not matter at all - most important is that the car is clean and runs well.
3. Nothing ever means you should blindly pull the trigger - but you know that, man otherwise, you wouldn't be asking these questions...
4. If the car is being sold by a dealer, you should definitely make the service a part of the deal - tell them you want them to throw in the service for free. CPO will not authorize service/replacements and so on unless the car's diagnostic system says an item requires service or car is due for a scheduled service.
Oh, I thought CPO was a BMW dealer warranty. Thx for the extra info.
So I guess, ill have to buy it from Miami to be checked by the dealer.

Thx Bro Pretty helpful

What do you guys advise on the X3?

Any other input is also appreciate it guys.

N.B: For Miami residents. Any of you know if there are any X3 07+ 3.0i for sale? What dealers have a good reputation in order to check them out?
Old 07-31-2009, 01:53 AM
Contributors

What does a Full service include?

Which of these are included in the service and if i miss anything please be kind to add.

Break oil, engine oil, transmission oil, air filter, oil filter, break pads
Old 07-31-2009, 02:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

car wash and a detail? you can also try to ask for a bunch of extra stuff like full gas tank, new window wipers, the soap/water for the sprayers... who know, you might get a thing or two hope that helps...
Old 07-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Bteljuice,

CPO means that the dealership performed their own inspection on the car and they deem it in good enough condition to be resold by them. They back up their inspection with the warranty. It does NOT mean the car is problem free nor is it 100% insured. The motor could blow up as soon as you drive off the lot due to a problem that wasn't checked for on their inspection (highly unlikely but possible). Then the warranty applies.

You can ask the dealer to perform a "full service" on the car but you will probably not get it. The dealer will most likely use their inspection as a defense (oil change indicator not low enough, brake pads not worn enough, blah blah blah). If you want new brake pads, oil, etc., you're gonna have to pay for it (or buy a brand new car)

Make sure you understand the service and warranty agreements in Lebanon. Any U.S. service or repair agreements with BMW will probably NOT be valid over there. In fact, since the car wasn't destined for that country in the first place, its possible that no warranty will apply.

FYI - the German BMW warranty is only good for two years, unlimited miles.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka' post='961067
You can ask the dealer to perform a "full service" on the car but you will probably not get it. The dealer will most likely use their inspection as a defense (oil change indicator not low enough, brake pads not worn enough, blah blah blah). If you want new brake pads, oil, etc., you're gonna have to pay for it (or buy a brand new car)
Im trying to avoid doing the full service myself as it will cost around 1000$, so hopefully will try to get partial service from them. That is why I am asking if the dealer can do so.
Regarding inspection not due due to indicator, cant the dealer manipulate the indicator. We all know we can change them ouselves using the cluster button, no?

Originally Posted by pukka' post='961067' date='Jul 31 2009, 01:43 PM
Make sure you understand the service and warranty agreements in Lebanon. Any U.S. service or repair agreements with BMW will probably NOT be valid over there. In fact, since the car wasn't destined for that country in the first place, its possible that no warranty will apply.

FYI - the German BMW warranty is only good for two years, unlimited miles.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='961233' date='Jul 31 2009, 03:58 PM
Regarding inspection not due due to indicator, cant the dealer manipulate the indicator. We all know we can change them ouselves using the cluster button, no?
I dont' think the dealer can manipulate the service indicators. However, I know there is a "window" for tolerance on their service tasks.

Perhaps if you explained to the dealer that you are planning to export the car you might get on everything. Otherwise, it all boils down to dealer discretion. That reminds me - it may not do you any good to have the fluids changed. Sometimes shippers drain the fluids once the car is stowed on the boat and fill them back to minimum levels right before they drive it back on to the port.

Check with your shipper to see if they do this. And make sure you check all the fluid levels when you pick the car up in Labanon. GL!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Contributors

Oh really, I did not know that about the fuilds during shipping. Why do they do that? Thx

Pukka, Thank you so much for ur advise and input. I totally appreciate it. Will surely try that with the dealer and double check regarding the fluids.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Contributors

So those are the two cars that we're interested in. One is CPO and another isnt.

http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?...ndard=false#top

http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?...;standard=false

Im leaning more on the 2007 grey M package one but it isnt CPO but the Carfax has everything ok. Will the dealer let my aunt take it to a BMW dealer to have it inspected since it is not CPO?

I have the carfax, is it legal to upload the carfax here?

Quick Reply: Purchase Question