Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Problems Encountered

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 03:28 PM
Richard

Originally Posted by Farbton' date='Nov 1 2003, 04:10 AM
My two issues above were caused by a software issue. Since mine is the first 545 they have had back in the shop they wanted to be extra careful and take an extra day. Being Friday they gave me a Z4 3.0 to drive around for the weekend. Not bad service, especially since it has been in the 70's this weekend.

Also had the active steering go out in a parking lot. Car reverts back to fixed ratio and it gives you a warning. Turning off the car and restarting reset it, but they will take care of this with the software upgrade as well.

Overall still an incredible drive. Obviously expected a few issues with a brand new model but as my lease was up I needed to decide to this or the E500. Still believe I made the right decision. If this takes care of all my issues then I will be happy.
Hi i am very happy to look at your message i am in the same situation i have a big doubt ,today i drove an e500 (like it ,but too soft the stereowheel for me) everything was superb...i own actually an M5 E-39 but can wait till next one so...i ahve to decide ..please tell me your experiences and why did yoy deceide 545?
many thanks
Old 12-05-2003, 04:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My software update apparently has fixed the problem with the active steering. For those of you concerned, note it only happened once at startup and with the "active" being out, it felt like an old e39. You still had good steering response. If you want to consider the difference with it disabled significant it just shows how impressive the feature is. I had an 330 with sport package as a loaner during the update and it felt like a tank without this feature. Same with my wife's Volvo V70 with sport package. While it handles well, if I have not driven it in a while (only driving mine for a week or so), then it feels like driving a boat. The active steering really spoils you, as if it knows what you are thinking and it goes.

For those of you not sure about getting it all I can say is drive it, and not just around the block. Take 30-60 minutes for the test drive and once you are comfortable with it you will be hooked
Old 12-05-2003, 06:48 PM
Members

I agree the active steering is great when you become accustomed to it. Unfortunately our first car had active steering that didn't want to be to active. The car had been in the shop for two weeks when they agreed to put us in a new car and it is still there at three and a half weeks and counting. They are now waiting on a new steering rack to come from Germany. Thankfully the dealer and BMW were standup and got us lined up on with a new car which should be hitting around the 15th. The loaner we are driving is a 325 and it feels ponderous in comparison to our short lived 5.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:31 AM
z

Sounds like Microsoft did most of the coding for the 5er's software.

I'll wait till the '05 model to make a decision. Until then I'll enjoy my 330i whose wipers don't go crazy and whose engine doesn't overheat due to software glitches.

z
Old 12-10-2003, 05:48 AM
TJ from Sweden

I have driven approx 5000 km with my 530i. I haven?t had any major problems so far. The i-drive monitor stays black as soon as the outer temp is close to zero or less. But this is a known issue. A small area of paint has come off on the side of the roof just close to the back door . It is obvious that the paint does not stic good enough to the plastic detail and as soon there is a defect, water comes in and break the bond and the peeling off propagates. Otherwise a splendid car.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:54 PM

<_< mine waited until it had 266 miles before the warning light came on. pulled over and let it sit for a few min. and the problem went away?!?! going in for service monday morning. Seems to be a re-occuring problem that BMW will have to address
Old 12-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by z' date='Dec 10 2003, 05:31 AM
Sounds like Microsoft did most of the coding for the 5er's software.
Actually, I think Microsoft did do (at least the iDrive) software, didn't they?
Old 12-14-2003, 06:47 PM
rem
Members

Talking

Yes, microsoft did the programmingg of the idrive system and harmon kardon did the hardware. My 545i 6 speed has been glitch-free since i bought it three weeks ago. I have put 2,600 miles on it and have never enjoyed driving a car as much as I do this one. I hope my good experience continues and am happy that forums like this are available to learn from others' experiences. I'll keep the board posted as I gain more experience with the car. Cheers.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:58 PM
Members

I am close to ordering, but I have to tell you I don't like to hear about so many glitches. I think I'll give it a year.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:01 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2017 F06 650ix

Originally Posted by Woodstock' date='Dec 14 2003, 08:27 PM
[quote name='z' date='Dec 10 2003, 05:31 AM'] Sounds like Microsoft did most of the coding for the 5er's software.
Actually, I think Microsoft did do (at least the iDrive) software, didn't they? [/quote]
Yes, iDrive is based on Windows CE for Automotive Platforms.

Quick Reply: Problems Encountered