Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Problems Encountered

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 11:01 PM
Guest_Jimbo

My problems include:
----------------------------
1. Stuck cup holder-replaced
2. Hood out of alignment-adjusted
3. Driver door window scratched-replace
4. Mechanical belt tensioner making tapping noise=replaced with hydraulic
5. Loud ticking in front of motor (in the shop now) is supposed to be the electronic thermostat. I was told this was normal operating condition. Car sounds like a model T. I heard another 530 and it was absolutely quiet. Had a discussion with Service manager.
6. Bridgestone Potenza run flat (right rear) has a slow leak (in shop now)
7. Air cover scratched-replaced

Other irritations:
1) fixing hood alignment took 3 tries
1a) front passenger windshield pillar scratched during hood alignment fix-
2) Belt tensioner fix took 2 tries (noobie tech sprayed the belt with belt lube the first time)
3) door panels had driver boot marks 3 times-had to send car back for cleaning
4) one time had to send the car back for washing 3 times (stopped having them wash it)
5) Left rear run flat picked up a dry-wall screw (damn construction near my home).
The left rear rim was severly scratched during tire mounting and needed to be repainted
6) right front rim has 5 inch curb rash (in shop now)
Old 06-11-2004, 04:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guest_Jimbo, do you enjoy life?
Old 06-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Contributors

How can he? He's got kerb rash..
Old 06-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i sport, premium, winter, xenon. xm satellite radio, navwithtv dvd system, 1 jl 10w7 sub powered by xtant 1001x amp. 20x8.5/10 on nitto nt555 rubber. acs roof and decklid spoiler, breyton front spoiler.

Originally Posted by Beemer' date='Nov 12 2003, 12:54 PM
Got the software upgrade yesterday. Had the first version before car was built second week of june.
The I-drive system seems to be a bit faster than before the update.
Some things have been revised too.

The Logic 7 setup now has settings off, concerthall and theatre instead of audio, off or video.
The instruction text in the RPA setting has changed and is more easy to understand now.
The MFL (Multifunctional steering wheel) menu has also changed and is now more easy to understand.

Haven?t found any more changes than this yet.
rpa is terrible i have problems with my tires, it looks like one of them is leaks. every week i have to pump tires set my tire pressure again.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Senior Members

Slow air leak in Bridgestone Potenza Run flat tire. No punctures found. I need to take it to a tire dealer to start process for replacement. It may need to be reseated. Tire 10 lbs low, filled by dealer. 2nd time, 6 lbs low, filled by dealer.

Update: Contacted Bridgestone to have tire checked by one of there local tire dealers. Should be covered under manufacturer's warranty.

Dynamic Drive System failure message displayed on the iDrive screen (two different times) Still drove the car. Message said to drive slowly and carefully. Car was subject to handling problems. Also, icon on driver's display was shown (car tipping to left).

Car is at dealers. I contacted BMWUSA to file a complaint about the reliability of my car.

Update: 6/29/04: Software updated. All error messages gone. Steering wheel now goes up when key turned off.

Now the right mirror doesn't pivot downwards when backing up. Yes, I moved the switch.

Update: Mirror started pivoting downwards the next day.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:09 PM
Members

Took delivery of 530i almost a month ago with 85 miles on the odometer.

Problems present at delivery:

1) Shift knob had a big scratch on it, probably someone driving it with a big ring on their right hand - replaced under warranty.

2) Dead pixels on iDrive screen - replaced under warranty.

3) Steering wheel shimmy above ~40mph. Dealer balanced 4 wheels, reported rear tires were out of round. Initially stated tires were not covered under warranty. Agreed to replace them after I raised a ruckus. The tires are on order, but the shimmy is still there even after balancing. I will check tire pressures and also ask them to check for bent rims.

4) CD display reverts to "1" when I switch mode to CD. Sometimes when I'm surfing modes the CD will play and I can't control it either via iDrive or steering wheel buttons. I thought they loaded the latest SW when they replaced the screen, but I will reconfirm.

Other than that I love driving it.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

vsvo.......I have been told by someone who works for BMW that cars that are built for stock and not customer order have their tyres inflated to around 60 psi in case they stand around for any length of time after they have been built.When they are finally sold the tyres are deflated to the correct pressure,this can cause flat spots on the tyres and cause wheel wobble.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Members

530dse, thanks for your reply. My car is an August 2003 production, and I took it off the lot June 2004 (I guess black on black really is an unpopular color combo, although it was exactly what I wanted). I suspect your explanation is precisely what is going on here. That would explain the rear tires being out of round. I'm still waiting on the tires, hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Thanks again for passing along the information and happy motoring.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by pbarch1' date='Apr 11 2004, 06:44 PM
ok it happened.... the $%&#* cup holder broke... going in tomorrow for service ... DAMN why can such a great car have so many little stupid problems.
My cup holder just broke also, aside from other problems. WE SHOULD ALL COMPLAIN TO BMW NORTH AMERICA ABOUT THE PROBLEMS WE ARE ALL HAVING WITH A "NEW" BMW. The only way the dealerships will do anything if there is pressure from BMW. I know some are independent, but remember if we are not happy with our BMW we will express it to other potential buyers. A BMW Factory Rep visits the dealerships once a month, find out who this is and when he/she comes by and make an appointment with this person. This person is a direct representative of BMW North America.

It's not worth the money. Other cars (except Mercedes) do not have these type of electronic problems. The main thing is that we are very busy people and do not have the free time to be taking in our new BMW's into the shop every week. I've taken it in 5 times already and been driving rentals (not a BMW rental) more than my own BMW.

I'm on this website because I am so frustrated and need to spread the word to all. WE HAVE TO VOICE OUR COMPLAINTS TO BMW AND TELL THE DEALERS THAT WE WILL TELL EVERYONE HOW TERRIBLE THE NEW BMW'S ARE.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Olivin530i' date='May 4 2004, 11:01 AM
[SIZE=1][FONT=Impact][color=green]
Got my 530i in Olivin Green in late April 2004 and am very perturbed with quite a few problems. I thought I shall highlight to the dealer when I next visit for a service:-
1. Part of the plastic moulding on the steering is not symmetrical - slightly warpped!
2. I have a static problem with the radio - more so on a particular bandwidth.
3. Wipers seemed to be rather "tight" and makes a "rough" sweep even when there is quite a heavy rain.
4. ALL 4 doors are so squeaky and it is very annoying,
5. When at a complete halt on a slope (30 degree gradient, maybe) the car slides down a little even if the gear is in drive!
6. Rough gear change is felt when the car is make to almost stop (say to slow down for a hump) and press to go on the accelerator.
7. The Run Flat Tires supplied (Dunlop) is rather noisy.
8. Engine vibration is felt on the steering (active) at standstill.
9. Bootlid cannot be opened from the cabin - have got to physically disembark if bootlid not locked - got to switch off engine and use the remote key to open the boot if bootlid is locked!
10. Turn indicator programmed to only flash 3 times - rather insufficient for a short flash - if only can program to 5 or 6 times may serve a better purpose.

Current - E60 530i Olivin Green/Black Dakota-Auto-Active Steering-Xenon-CruiseControl-18 in Run Flat Tires
Previous - E39 525i (retired)
I'm having similar problems, especially the "creeking" noise around the windows, it's the seals. I bought my 530 in May 2004. When my car reached around 8,000 miles + there was a constant grinding brake noise when the car heated up (i.e. when it's been on the freeway for a while and the brakes get heat up, at slow speed braking 10-15 miles, a grinding noise happens. This is due to a defective brake sensor.

I got this name off this forum to complain: Leonora.Vlaovich@bmwna.com

Find out when the BMW factory representative visits your dealership and make an appointment with him. He/she needs to listen to your car problems because they have to report directly back to BMW.

Also tell your dealer and factory rep and BMW North America that they have to fix these problems for good because you are going to continue saying negative things about the new BMW's. Everyone that asks me about how I like my new BMW, I tell them the truth..... "It's a piece of crap". It's not worth the money. It's also embarassing and I get stares from people due to all this noise.

REMEMBER.... WE HAVE TO VOICE OUR COMPLAINTS OR NOTHING WILL HAPPEN

Quick Reply: Problems Encountered