Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Problems Encountered

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 02:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my 545i last week and after 100km I had my first glitches:
. buttons of the steering wheel didn't work any more
. Nav Pro did not remember the destination after a stop
. Autostore of the radio do not work
. Voice command of the professional phone not activated

But the car is wonderful : I love it!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six
Talking

jmcaiado,

I had the same problem with a 730d.
It was only a software problem.
They upgraded to the last software version, like Windows .....
Not a problem any more.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:01 AM
Contributors

Problem solved today by dealer - software related.

They activated the Brake Force Display feature too. (function was deactivated until 12/2003 prod.)
Old 04-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Members

Delay in downshifting.
Between 10 and about 50, when I punch it, there is a noticeable delay kicking it to the lower gears. The dealer tested another brand new 530 and it acts the same.
They updated the transmission module but as of now there is no solution.

1900 miles on the odometer.

Also had them replace the driver's cup holder (didn't pop out).

Also, the Flat Tire warning came on even though the tire still had pressure. The pressure had gone down about 5 pounds. I inflated the tire and the flat tire warning went off. Dealer inspected all tires and checked system. Couldn't find anything wrong.

I'll probably reduce the tire pressure and test it to see if the FTM comes on again instead of the low tire pressure warning.

Note: I checked the manual and didn't see anything about a low tire pressure warning icon. mmmm? I was sure I saw it on the display. Anyone know about this?
Old 04-02-2004, 04:30 PM
rem
Members

With 7,800 miles, I'm getting an "increased emissions" warning AGAIN, along with the service engine soon light that stays on. Service tech re-set it about a month ago and said it was a software issue that would be addressed in the next relaease. Light came on 4 days ago.

I don't really care if it is a software issue, it bothers me. So I emailed bmwna and they returned the call but have not been particularly helpful. I'm taking car back to dealer next week.

I know this is not a gas cap tightening issue which is the usual suspect for the warning.

This is the only issue so far, but it seems bmw should be on top of the software issues after the bungled 7 series introduction.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Brad

With less then 100 miles on car, 3 days after purchase

While driving in slow traffic, the warning lights come on, large engine icon, audible warning and visual warning about engine failure. The car Engine begins to sputter, lurch, or otherwise ride roughly I pull off the road, turning down a less crowded street, car is running terrible. I pull over onto the shoulder and shut the engine off, I wait a minute or more then restart the engine, there is no change.

I immediately changed my driving route to BMW; I was only a few miles away. The car is still running terrible and so I pull off at a hardware store parking lot thinking I should shut down the engine longer, I shut down and wait about 5 minutes. I restart the car and it is still running badly and warnings are still present, I decide to try making it to BMW once again and finally arrive. I checked the car into the service department promptly and they are all very helpful.

They assign me a rental car to use while my car is in for repair. After a short wait and a talk with my salesman, the rental car arrives; my service rep told me they would call when they know more.

I received a call later in the afternoon from BMW, they said that cylinder number 5 was misfiring and may possibly have a coil problem, NOT SURE. They may have to order the part overnight, so they will most likely have the car through Wednesday.

Their story sounds unsure, seems as though they are not sure of the exact problem, nothing I can do, but wait...
Old 04-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Anyone experience a tapping/clicking sound when starting in the morning? Sounds like some loose plastic getting caught in the fan. It only happens occasionally.
I think it happens when the heater is on full blast (eg. clear front windscreen function). The "fan" noise gets quicker if you rev the engine but will die down after a short while when the heater fans are switched to a lower setting. I'm not sure where the sound comes from. Could be the heater or somewhere nearer the front of the engine bay.

Also does anyone hear a repetitive humming sound from their a/c? Obviously this is heard when the music is switched off. I guess its just me have a sensitive ear.

btw I have the advanced a/c on my car.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2004, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

I've heard the slight humming - and as far as I can recall it was there on our 02 E39 too.

-paasan
Old 04-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Brad

Update:

Part is suppose to be the main computer module. They say on National backorder and I will not see my new car again for 7-10 days, part is not coming in for 7 days at minimum.

I've involved managers at dealership and reported to BMW consumer complaints today to see why this is happening.

WHAT a BUNCH of CRAP!!

Nothing like buying a new car to have sit in the shop..

New car, trip planned on Sunday and we will not be going now, sorry kids..
Old 04-09-2004, 10:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW530' date='Apr 6 2004, 04:11 PM
Anyone experience a tapping/clicking sound when starting in the morning? Sounds like some loose plastic getting caught in the fan. It only happens occasionally.
I had a tapping/clicking sound. The dealer replaced a mechanical belt guide with a hydraulic one.

To demonstate the problem, I dropped the car off in the evening and had the tech cold start it in the morning. I had them wait until I was present, had the hood open so I could point out exactly where the sound was coming from.

Quick Reply: Problems Encountered