Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Peter Pan BMW of San Mateo scratched my headlight and refused to repai

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several traction control warning lights came on last Thursday afternoon. I immediately drove it to my local dealer (Peter Pan BMW) to have these warnings removed, as the next day I was scheduled to move 400 miles and I needed the work done immediately. I also specifically asked the dealer not to wash the car as to avoid incidents such as scratcbes/etc. The next day I picked up the vehicle and drove it home where I immedately left to move. I did not take my BMW but took a u-haul instead to move my furniture. I came back 2 days later and decided to clean my car (from all the dust that settled in my garage) when I noticed a scratch on the passenger side headlight. At first I thought it was a key mark but after closer inspection I determined that it was not. I did some sample keyings on a surface similar to the paint on a bmw and if someone were to key a headlight, there would be a very abrupt beginning key mark and a fading trail. The scratch on the headlight has fading trails on both ends, which leads me to believe that someone must've rubbed something against the car, but not intentionally with a key or of a device similar to so.

I scheduled an appointment with Peter Pan BMW where I spoke to the service manager. This conversation basically led to an argument outside the dealership where several techncians heard the commotion and came outside to see what the fuss was about. The manager basically told me that he could not vouch for the mileage and time frame of the vehicle and that I had to buy my own polish and do the leg work myself. I explained to him that I only drove the car home from the dealer, left the car at my house for two days, went to church on Sunday and drove home. (All about 50 miles) He was very rude and IMPLIED that I caused the scratch myself! Just last week I installed an m-tech bumper myself with the TIS documents provided by Rudy and i did NOT notice any scratches along the front end. I'm also very thorough with my vehicle as many of you are and would know if a scratch was there beforehand. At this point the manager told me that he was NOT going to pay for it and that he would compromise with me. The deal was that I would buy the polish and the technicians would do the polishing. I was VERY upset at this suggestion and took offense to it.

At this point I requested the number to BMW of North America Customer Relations where they told me that they would NOT take any action against Peter Pan BMW because it was a private dealer and that "they couldn't tell a private business how to be run."

My advice to you is this: take your vehicle to a dealer where BMW of NA has SOME support just in case a situation like this happens. I will NEVER give any future business to Peter Pan BMW. /end rant

My brand new 1.5 month BMW is "ruined" now because of this scratch.