Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Paintless Dent Removal - WOW !

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I was at the dealer yesterday helping my wife pick up her new car. During the orientation in the delivery center I noticed a guy working on a used M3. I could see that he was poking some sort of steel rod into a door panel so I was curious to see what he was up to.Apparently he is the on call PDR guy for the dealer to help refurbish used vehicles , well this proved to be quite an eye opener for me. From my perspective the shape of the M3 was pathetic, I counted a least 6 door dings , a good sized dent in the trunk lid and several small scrapes and it was full of swirls.In less than 1 hr all the dents were 100% removed , and I mean completely undetectable !This guy worked magic on this car. His tool kit had a large assortment of several different sized rods and metal devices . He knew exactly where to remove interior panels to get access to the dents and then worked them back out with his assortment of tools . He used a reflector that suctioned on to the body panel he was working on to cast light at the critical angle to allow him to completely smooth out the dents . Door dings ruin the look of a car IMO but I am now very confident that most dents can be removed to a factory finish as long as the painted is not cracked.
FYI & Cheers
Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

Looks like Mrs. Westcoast has a pretty nice new car!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='500054' date='Nov 28 2007, 11:13 AM
I was at the dealer yesterday helping my wife pick up her new car. During the orientation in the delivery center I noticed a guy working on a used M3. I could see that he was poking some sort of steel rod into a door panel so I was curious to see what he was up to.Apparently he is the on call PDR guy for the dealer to help refurbish used vehicles , well this proved to be quite an eye opener for me. From my perspective the shape of the M3 was pathetic, I counted a least 6 door dings , a good sized dent in the trunk lid and several small scrapes and it was full of swirls.In less than 1 hr all the dents were 100% removed , and I mean completely undetectable !This guy worked magic on this car. His tool kit had a large assortment of several different sized rods and metal devices . He knew exactly where to remove interior panels to get access to the dents and then worked them back out with his assortment of tools . He used a reflector that suctioned on to the body panel he was working on to cast light at the critical angle to allow him to completely smooth out the dents . Door dings ruin the look of a car IMO but I am now very confident that most dents can be removed to a factory finish as long as the painted is not cracked.
FYI & Cheers
+1. Boston Chapter of the BMWCCA recently had a PDR clinic at "Dent Wizard" in Danvers, MA. Our 2007 530xi had an ugly dent in the middle of the left passenger door. Using procedures described above (except he just used a wedge in the window channel), the technician made the dent disappear in about 45 seconds. A little hand polishing, and it was as new. Pretty amazing work.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

This type dent repair was done for me (Mrs. sixcard's E90) at one of the local BMW dealers here in the Atlanta area. Was amazing to watch this guy. As I recall the cost was not at all expensive.

Email me, Atlanta folks, and I will direct you.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='500054' date='Nov 28 2007, 12:13 PM
FYI & Cheers
We had some pretty bad hail storms a few fears ago and unfortunately my Range Rover was caught in one of them. My poor RR was destroyed. Hail damage everywhere, roof, hood, door panels, I wanted to cry. I called my salesman at dealership, they had hail damage on every single vehicle on their outdoor lot. They brought in a crew from out of state that came and did nothing but PDR on Rovers for three months straight. I was little hesitant about PDR but after seeing their work I signed up to have them do mine. I figured after practicing on the dealers lot for a week or two they would be ready to do mine. It was absolutely amazing. I wish I had taken some pictures of the before and after. It went from being just completely trashed to good as new in two days. No trace of hail damage, I was very impressed. Bottom line. PDR
Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by FRANK970' post='500074' date='Nov 28 2007, 11:56 AM
Looks like Mrs. Westcoast has a pretty nice new car!
Frank , I know your wife is looking at the 328/335 cabs, be careful !!!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

I once had a limb fall from a tree (straight down like an arrow) leaving a large half dollar sized dent in the middle of the trunk of my Lexus ES300. I thought I was going to puke when I saw it. My local body shop had a "paint less dent removal guy" that I reluctantly agreed to let try to clean it up. The next thing I knew, the dent was gone, at a whopping cost of $50. This stuff really does work in the right situation.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Does anyone know someone good who does this kind of work in Southern California area?
Thanks.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I've had a few dings pulled from my E39 and one pulled from my E60. They do an awesome job. And the guys that having been doing it for years, do it really fast. It's comforting to know that dings can get pulled so easily, but it still sucks to see one on your baby when you come out of the Mall Parking lot because your wife made you park so damn close to the entrance, knowing full well that you wanted to park in no-mans land to avoid any potential hazards. Hahaha!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='500137' date='Nov 28 2007, 10:48 AM
Frank , I know your wife is looking at the 328/335 cabs, be careful !!!
I believe the line during a drive this weeked was "You know I'm getting the next car."

Quick Reply: Paintless Dent Removal - WOW !