Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Okay so my car is a CPO BMW...kind of a bizarre story..

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I bought my 04 545i on 10/31/2008... Had 64K miles on it and exactly the options I had been searching for... 6MT, Sport, Cold, Prem...also had the BMW dealer Ipod upgrade deal already done when I got it (I didn't know this until I got home and discovered the connector in the glove compartment). It has the bi-xenon adaptive headlights, folding rear seat...etc.

Anyway, I had been searching for about 4 or 5 months for an e60 545i (04 or 05) and over the course of the search had learned probably more than I ever wanted to know about the e60 5-series.

So I find this car on eBay (it's a trade-in at a huge Toyota dealership in Columbus, OH).. I asked some questions over the phone, just basic stuff but quickly realized the salesman was struggling when he couldn't tell me if it had the Sport package or not. I was pretty sure that it did from the pictures, but I just wanted to feel out what he would/wouldn't tell, or what he did/didn't know... (although it turns out he drove an 07 530i!!! How would you not know?). Kind of strange, but I proceed... I then call Midwestern BMW in Dublin, OH where all the service was done according to the Carfax. From what I can tell, just your basic, scheduled servicing done. Nothing to raise any red flags in my mind.. They tell me the guy that owned it previously was a business owner in the area and he had owned quite a few BMW's purchased at their dealer.. Apparently he traded it, somewhat hastily, to the Toyota dealer as he was in need of some kind of SUV for his business.. whatever.. cool, I figure he's a long time BMW owner, perhaps older, I'll roll the dice with this history so far.. especially given the price and condition of the car which looked great (so far as I can tell from the pictures.)

Price was $19,950... the best price by far that I had come across for this car in this mileage range. I put down the deposit and book my flight to pick it up.

Early on in the process I had inquired about any existing warranty.. Salesman said there was none whatsoever, not surprising, so I purchase an extended 2-year, 24K mile deal... (I have another car that works fine but I wasn't about to drive off the lot without some kind of warranty on this BMW)... I call BMW of Nashville and they assure me that the warranty in question would be honored at their service dept. should I need to use it and they didn't seem to have an issues with it.. Sounds good.. I'm excited, can't wait to get her..

I pick up the car and I am in heaven. It's immaculate and drives like a dream. Best 6 hour road trip ever..

The first time I use the seat heater, however, it nearly burns a hole in my seat. I research and find out about the recall on my build date for the faulty mat that kept the coil in place, I called BMWNA and they sent me to BMW of Nashville and they immediately fixed the seat and even agreed to give me a new leather cover for the bottom of the seat to match the seat back cover that had to be replaced (otherwise you get the new leather that doesn't match worn leather of the bottom).

I think within a week or so after that I had the car back at BMW of Nashville for an Increased Emissions warning, they replaced a thermostat and sensor, didn't cost me a dime... everything is fine.

A few weeks later I got a Steering Malfunction warning.. first they top off the hydraulic fluid, but warning comes right back, I take it back in and they replace some sensors, that takes care of it...again, no cost whatsoever.

I'm thinking, wow, pretty nice investment on that warranty. Sure, I've now come to know BMW of Nashville a little better than I hoped this early in the game... but they've been extremely helpful and other than a few hiccups this car is just awesome...

Since then, it's been trouble free, but in the back of my mind I'm wandering how I got out of there without spending a penny..I mean, yeah I've got a warranty, but it's aftermarket and I just can't believe there wouldn't be a deductible of some kind outside of the recall repair. Of course, I'm not about to ask questions when they hand me the keys to my repaired and washed 5er while I'm signing the service report with a nice $0.00 at the bottom..

Then the other day I'm in my manual looking up some information about pairing my phone and I come across some information from Midwestern BMW. Says that my car, with my VIN #, is a CPO BMW with the certification date sometime in 2007. I'm stunned. So it just so happens I needed to get my headlights adjusted, they are pointing way to low, almost right at the ground but I'm just getting around to getting that taken care of.. I've got to take a road trip this coming weekend so I go to the dealer and they do it while I wait. I ask my SA, "There is some documentation here that says my car is CPO, what can you tell me about that?

She says: Of course, it's CPO with extended warranty to 100,000 miles. You didn't know that?!

Uh, Ok, thanks... Guess that aftermarket warranty wasn't really necessary, but oh well, for $19,950 I won't complain... turns out the Toyota salesman, BMW owner or not, didn't know jack about these cars... I'm kind of wondering if they even knew what they had..
Old 01-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

Great story man, you could always get a refund on the warranty you bought...

I bought 07 530i CPO and hindsight I would've shopped around a lot more. I think as with anything, some cars will have more problems than others but again these cars come with free maintenance so I feel comfortable buying used...
Old 01-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but doesnt the car have to be purchased from a authorized bmw dealer for bmw to honor the cpo warranty???
Old 01-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

There should be a $50 deductible charge for each visit to the dealer for CPO warranty work.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pgetsch' post='775410' date='Jan 23 2009, 11:12 AM
but doesnt the car have to be purchased from a authorized bmw dealer for bmw to honor the cpo warranty???

answer to my own question - unless the last guy bought the car cpo and then traded it in soon after....
Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pgetsch' post='775413' date='Jan 23 2009, 10:13 AM
answer to my own question - unless the last guy bought the car cpo and then traded it in soon after....
yes, that was the deal.. there had been one other owner before me (sorry I left that out) after the intitial buyer who had the car for most of it's life. The second owner did not have the car very long. Only serviced once under 2nd owner until it was traded..

From what the saleman told me, the guy was not at all excited about trading the BMW for the SUV. There was some kind of connection between the first two owners, business associates of some kind..
Old 01-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BrianTx5' post='775411' date='Jan 23 2009, 10:13 AM
There should be a $50 deductible charge for each visit to the dealer for CPO warranty work.
I read that in another thread when I searched this topic.. I'm going to take a second look at my paperwork and see if it had been waived or something on my initial few visits. I was a common sight in that dealer the first 3 weeks I had the car so perhaps they cut me some slack on the deductible...
Old 01-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Same thing happened to me and I got a refund of my GE 3-Year 5 star warranty.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

WOW thats awesome! Sounds like you got a really good deal! And with CPO you wont have to worry one bit. well worth the price of the "extra" 3rd party warranty you paid... Look at it as a donation to help the economy.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='775504' date='Jan 23 2009, 12:49 PM
WOW thats awesome! Sounds like you got a really good deal! And with CPO you wont have to worry one bit. well worth the price of the "extra" 3rd party warranty you paid... Look at it as a donation to help the economy.
is their a way to tell if your car is a CPO? i also bought my 5 series from a used dealer & purchased extra waranty but not through BMW.. Do i need to call my local BMW to see if it is CPO or do you think they will lie & tell me its Not?

Quick Reply: Okay so my car is a CPO BMW...kind of a bizarre story..