Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Oh what a dealership I have! Clueless!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

So I took my car to the dealer today for a past alignment issue and figured I'd have them check the aim on my headlights as well, since I had tried to aim them myself and seemed to be off a little. This is how it went:

They pulled my car up to an "indoor" type garage door at some arbitrary distance and actually used the sophisticated method called, the "we-just-eye-ball-it" method! There were no guides or marks on the floor or door for aiming purposes, so I'm like...what the hell? My SA says, "That's all we use for aiming headlights here. If one side's a little high, we just make them even." I asked, "How do you know which side to adjust up or down?" He replies, "We just eyeball it."

I then asked him how they adjust for right and left issues (my light beams were criss-crossing at a distance), and the SA responds, "What do you mean right and left? We've never really messed with those adjustments before on any car. I wouldn't even know how to check that against spec." I said, "So you don't have any specific tool or area on the wall or floor for specifically aiming lights to spec?" His response? "Nope."

Now, some background info on my dealer: They are located in the wealthiest area of this entire city. And they are total idiots!

And I didn't even mention my alignment: It's almost as funny...or sad, depending on you look at it:

As I watched the tech align my 530xi, I noticed their Hunter computer was set up for an E61 wagon, so I asked, "Does it matter that you have the wrong model car in your computer?" He says, "The E61 has the same specs, and it doesn't matter." I then said, "You are aware that this is an e60 xi, right?" He then paused, walked over to the computer, realized that there was indeed a selection for "E60" and with a separate "xi" setting, and turns to me and says, "Wow, good thing you were here to catch that!" This was supposedly one of their best "techs" too.

So, I watched as he got my ride back into spec, and then he says, "Honestly, I've never aligned a car as exact as that in my entire life!" Translation: We go by the "good enough" attitude here.

Also, during my alignment, I watched another young guy change out some tires for new snows on someone's 525i. He used a crow-bar and some 30 year old tire/wheel machine to do the job. He even used the rims of each wheel as leverage for his crowbar when pulling off the old tire! Can you imagine if these were your wheels??!!

I only go back to them because it's free and they let me watch, today included. I don't think I'll be going back though ever again.

The moral of the story, aside from NEVER going to my particular dealer , is: "Watch ALL work that is being performed on your car WHILE it's being done or you might be surprised what goes on while you are sitting in the showroom eating donuts!" I will never just hand over my keys again and just "come back later." So....fyi everyone.

Hopefully you guys out there have better dealers with trained technicians who actually give a damn.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

WOW, clueless is an understatement. Makes you wonder what happens when no one is looking. Unfortunately me dealership is the same way. I have to go in a minimum of two times for every issue I have, it's ridiculous. You would think BMW would yank dealerships from these clowns. BMW NA actually called me today about a recent visit and I stressed the incompetence the service staff.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Wow! Scary... Rudy, you use these guys too?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='506913' date='Dec 14 2007, 07:09 PM
Wow! Scary... Rudy, you use these guys too?
No, Rudy knows better! He goes to Bobby Rahal BMW of South Hills....where I'll be headed next.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

It's amazing the range of feeling about dealers, I would have expected BMW to have a more comprehensive training program for dealers so that there was more uniformity to process and procedure.....the range of feedback on service goes from dismal to great and everything in between ! So far I have been very happy...... but the gauntlet is down.

Cheers
Old 12-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

You know, this just confirms a feeling I have about, oh... most of the people I run into...

People suck. Nobody cares. Good enough is all you get anymore. Look at how homes are built these days! What about products we we buy - how many of them can you say are truly as good as what you paid for them?

Not many I bet, and the list goes on and on...

We live in a world of overly expensive crap made by people that have no passion for what they do and don't care whether they get something *right* instead of just "good enough". I see it from the guy on the front lines of a business, making things "go", all the way up to the top executives.

Good enough...

Please excuse my rant. It's that time of year.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by schwim' post='506955' date='Dec 14 2007, 10:31 PM
You know, this just confirms a feeling I have about, oh... most of the people I run into...

People suck. Nobody cares. Good enough is all you get anymore. Look at how homes are built these days! What about products we we buy - how many of them can you say are truly as good as what you paid for them?

Not many I bet, and the list goes on and on...

We live in a world of overly expensive crap made by people that have no passion for what they do and don't care whether they get something *right* instead of just "good enough". I see it from the guy on the front lines of a business, making things "go", all the way up to the top executives.

Good enough...

Please excuse my rant. It's that time of year.
..... OK... now Schwim !,..........back away from that glass of wine and take a deeeeep breath !......... I believe the glass is half full... not half empty ! ....no.. no ... not your wine glass..... Life !!.... If you are in a postion to make a difference then make it ! If you can make a difference with an opinion then make it...... BUT..........I think the world is really a pretty good place and we can make it better one person at a time........... You're a good guy ..... with great input here !!

Merry Christmas !!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Bah Hum Bug!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Auto, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Sport and Premium Packages, HUD

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='506977' date='Dec 14 2007, 09:58 PM
..... OK... now Schwim !,..........back away from that glass of wine and take a deeeeep breath !
I need more wine I think!

Sorry, I get down on stories like the OP shared. It is very frustrating to be in such a position. You feel so helpless.