Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Not a pleasant day!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my car 3 - 4 months now, and ive done 13,000 miles on it. Service due light started coming up on the dash when i started the car so i booked it in for a service. My BT phone is too quiet so i asked them to fix that and upgrade my software as well.

Most important thing i wanted them to fix was this squeaking I have on my brakes, which really is annoying and depressing.

Dropped it off this morning to be told that my car was not due for a service for another 4000 miles even though my car says service due. I disputed the fact and said that the car says service due so here i am. Turns out the service due light is yellow, and when it gets to the close time to when you need the car t be actually serviced it goes red. This was annoying, and they should have asked me this when i booked it. To me if the car says service due when you turn it on, it means its due, even though i-drive says 4000 to go or something. Maybe im wrong to assume this ? But they at least could have asked when i did it. Anyway, after much conversation they agreed to service my car.

As far as the bluetooth goes, they told me when i arrived that they would need my phone with the car and asked me loads of stupid questions like how many contacts I had in my sim, like its gonna have something to do with the BT volume. Sounds stupid to me. But fine left it assuming it was going to be fixed, and told them they should let people know before hand if you need to leave your phone with them for a day.

The squeaking brakes! This has really got me depressed with the car. A ?35k car which brakes start to squeak after 10,000 miles is unacceptable in my opinion. If i want squeaky brakes and bad build quality i would by a ford. So I had massive arguments with them about it. and in the end they agreed to look at it to see what was the problem.

Went to work for the day, 5:30 pm i go to pick the car up.

Got there to be told the service has been done( just a basic oil change). Then they told me they didnt have time to look at the bluetooth or upgrade my software and that it would take two whole days of being without my car for them to do it. So not only did they take my car in on the premise they would sort it, but they tell me i gotta leave my car with them for two whole days for something which i am sure cannot take that long, maybe im wrong, but how long does it take to upgrade the software ? Also that I have to leave my phone with them for 2 days. This may not seem alot, but my business is almost based around my phone and being able to communicate with customers. This seems nonsense to me to take two days ?

Anyway, the last and most annoying problem is these squeaky brakes. I am told that I have been driving the car badly which has led to my brake discs being worn and causing the squeaking brakes. I have 40% wear left on my pads at 12k miles, yet my disks are shot ? I told them i find this totally unacceptable, and i want the squeak fixed, only to be told that it would cost nearly the same amount for them to clean the brakes, and then probably the problem would re-occur. Well Im not gonna harp on about the whole argument, but in the end he agreed to get in contact with bmw and find out what they say.

I find this total nonsense that a car of this value should have disks that are gone within 10,000 miles and cause this squeaking noise. Am I wrong, please can i have advice and feedback on this and what I should do, it just doesnt seem right to me that a new car of this supposed quality should have this problem, and also to have to replace the disks before even the pads have run out.

I do drive pretty quickly but not drasticially.

A very annoyed and upset BMW owner
Old 10-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

First, welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us.

Second, software updates usually take a couple of days.

Third, brake squeaking can be caused by a number of things. Here's a link<-- to get you started on educating yourself on how/why squeaking happens so you can point things out to the dealer and discuss them semi-intelligently (and point the finger at them).

Lastly, here's a link<-- to another thread on brake noise.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:09 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by smokin' date='Oct 22 2004, 01:32 PM
So not only did they take my car in on the premise they would sort it, but they tell me i gotta leave my car with them for two whole days for something which i am sure cannot take that long, maybe im wrong, but how long does it take to upgrade the software ?

[snapback]47963[/snapback]
With regard to the question above, I can give you the down side. I am over three weeks into a software upgrade with no definitive date for when (if ever, it seems) I will get my car back.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, titanium silver, grey leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Auto Trans, Moonroof, Xenon adaptive headlights

I had routine service (oil change) with warning light at 11,000 miles -- dealer told me in advance not to bring it in until 1000 miles to go. While in for service, software was upgraded to 13.2 from 11.x, and a major front bumper ding (I think a meteor impact -- left a little crater) was repaired. Dropped it off at 8:00 am, got a 3-series loaner, picked it up at 6:00 pm.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

the software update took less than 4hrs for me.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

the length of s/w update varies. if they do it right, a few hours job. if not, they have to redo it over and over again . took me 7 hours for s/w update and other minor problems.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My s/w upgrade to 12.1.2 a few months back took less than a day.
In fact when I returned the following day to get the Brake Force Display activated it took less than 30 minutes.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Members

what about the situation with my brakes though, what do you think I should do about it ?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

As the brakes, I'd wait and see what BMW says. I don't know your driving style, but with the stop and go traffic in London, I'm not totally surprised to see higher than expected wear on the brakes. What I'm not an expert at is whether the loss of the discs while you have 40% wear left on the pads is unusual. Hopefully someone with more mechanical knowledge will chime in. Wait and see what Mother BMW says, maybe they'll fix it without you having to cause a stink. If they will not fix it under warranty, that's a tough call. I mean, 13,000 miles is pretty quick to go through the discs. Do a search on this and other boards to see if others have had similar issues with early wear on the brakes. Best of luck!
Old 10-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

The brake issue may be the result of your driving style if you tend to brake late and heavily. By doing this regularly you will tend to put more strain on the front brakes as they take the most punishment in stopping the mass of the vehicle with forward inertia. It is easier to warp discs than you might think and I have known a friend who has managed to achieve this feat due to his aggressive driving style. Do you carry any weight in your car that could have affected the brakes? My friend carries around a lot of heavy euipment in his boot and this increases the strain on the cars braking system.

I would suggest that you ask for BMW's regional engineer to give a second opinion on your car or alternatively book it into a different dealer and have them check it out as a potential warranty claim. That way you shouldn't have to pay for any labour costs. You could also try giving BMW Customer Services a call to voice your disatisfaction. This certainly helped me out today with my current problems.

Quick Reply: Not a pleasant day!