Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Non-OEM parts and your BMW dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior
Thumbs up

Just bought my '04 545i a couple months ago. Haven't brought it in for service yet but just thinking ahead. If I want to change break pads to Axis, change rotors to slotted or drilled non-OEM, etc. etc. etc...will my local dealer provide the labor? My previously owned '97 M3 was serviced by a small, private, import shop. I had a good personal relationship with the owner and my car was fixed perfect every time. He allowed me to purchase the parts, as I had a connection and could get most parts at cost, and he would do the labor. He would not "guarantee" the labor since they were not "his" parts, but basically because of our relationship... everything was guaranteed anyway. Because of the huge jump in technology and electronics between my '97 M3 and my current E60, I would not have the same confidence in his abilities. Is your local dealer willing to provide labor on Non-OEM parts/mods?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Doubt it, BMW would be held liable for the part and install if anything goes wrong...kinda like how the guarantee worked with your friend's shop. Had that problem when i got my axxis pads. tried a few tire shops but they had a policy not to install anything outside of their products carried. BMW labor will make you grab your ankles anyway. There is a good DIY thread for the brake pad install in Rudy's TIS gallery...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?autocom=ga...m&album=213

Hopefully some members local to you can recc a shop or help you with the install of the pads...the axxis pads are great
Old 12-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

+1 I dont think the dealership would do the labor for aftermarket parts.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='738222' date='Dec 4 2008, 09:40 PM
Doubt it, BMW would be held liable for the part and install if anything goes wrong...kinda like how the guarantee worked with your friend's shop. Had that problem when i got my axxis pads. tried a few tire shops but they had a policy not to install anything outside of their products carried. BMW labor will make you grab your ankles anyway. There is a good DIY thread for the brake pad install in Rudy's TIS gallery...

Hopefully some members local to you can recc a shop or help you with the install of the pads...the axxis pads are great
GENE, how 'bout doing the service reset on the i-drive?
Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='738222' date='Dec 4 2008, 07:40 PM

+1....but one thing Gene forgot to mention was aside from the liability issue alot of place wont let you bring the parts in because they want to up sell you on the mark up of the parts "THEY" sell. Best way to go is DYI as much as you feel comfortable with, then find a place you trust to do other things.

As for the reset in the idrive do search, I know there's a thread somewhere as I just reset my oil not too long ago.

GL...and congrats on your new ride!!
Old 12-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='738230' date='Dec 4 2008, 06:48 PM
GENE, how 'bout doing the service reset on the i-drive?
Didn't reset the sensor as I only had 6K miles on my OEM pads prior to the swap to the axxis pads. I was fortunate to have the guys that did my install to know NOT to damage the brake sensor. As stated above, there a re few threads on brake pad sensor reset....like this one..

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...amp;mode=linear

and

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry668510

FIY, I know of one member also just put some axxis pads on his e60...Sears did the work...good price and no problems so far...GL

Gene
Old 12-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Even IF the dealer would do the labor, why would you want to pay the dealer labor rates ($125.00 per hour)?? I'm pretty sure a decent independent would be able to your brake work!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the advice fellas. As I expected. I am hoping to find a reliable shop in South Florida for my mods/repairs. Hope to only deal with the dealer/stealer for electronic issues. May try my old trusty import shop and see how he does with the E60. He was always reliable and honest, and fixed anything if he didn't get it right the first time. He often found minor problems unrelated to my visit and fixed them pro-bono.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

You are all 100% correct. They will never do it.