Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

No BMW loaner? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5' post='805722' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:17 PM
I feel lucky. I called my dealership last Monday and said I needed to take the car in to fix the chrome trim around the door, (about a 5mm gap on drivers door towards rear of car) and I said that my indash cd doesnt play mp3 and that I heard there was a SB about this.

I then say that I will require a loaner and she replies well then you are going to have to wait until next Wednesday. Of course I said sure, I thought this was pretty reasonable.

Hopefully they don't charge me for a rental when I bring it in on Wednesday since no mention of fees was ever made I also hope that they enable the MP3 even though I don't have NAV or the changer. It's a 5/5 build date so I'm hoping I get the update under warranty still.

You could get lucky, but I'm looking at the SIB right now (I picked it up off the SA manager's desk on my way out). It specifically lists the vehicles that are covered:

e60, e61 with SA 609 CCC-Navigation from SOP to 9/29/05 vehicle production

e63, e64 from SOP to 9/29/05 vehicle production

e90, e91 with SA 609 ccc-Navigation vehicles producted up to 9/29/05

Those are the only models listed on this SIB. Unless there's another one out there, I think the dealer MIGHT tell you to pound salt. I hope, for your sake, that they don't but...

Good luck man!
Old 03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='805513' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:35 PM
I sure am referring to Fields in Lakeland!
Wow, that's pretty nice. I know Fields in Winter Park does not have service like that. I bought my 535 in Atlanta and I am almost positive fields in Orlando will not give me a loaner. Even though I bought my other car from them.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jzcrna' post='805733' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:35 PM
Wow, that's pretty nice. I know Fields in Winter Park does not have service like that. I bought my 535 in Atlanta and I am almost positive fields in Orlando will not give me a loaner. Even though I bought my other car from them.
feilds does it for people that buy cars from them but dont live in the immediate area. it is their way of being in a small town but competing with big city dealers. they can pull business from local clearwater, tampa dealers by offering this service. when i got the car they told me about the service they offer for "hillsborough county" residents. i would definately look into it. fields seems to be pretty good so far
Old 03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by exx1976' post='805726' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:24 PM
You could get lucky, but I'm looking at the SIB right now (I picked it up off the SA manager's desk on my way out). It specifically lists the vehicles that are covered:

e60, e61 with SA 609 CCC-Navigation from SOP to 9/29/05 vehicle production

e63, e64 from SOP to 9/29/05 vehicle production

e90, e91 with SA 609 ccc-Navigation vehicles producted up to 9/29/05

Those are the only models listed on this SIB. Unless there's another one out there, I think the dealer MIGHT tell you to pound salt. I hope, for your sake, that they don't but...

Good luck man!
Are there any other benifits to having a more recent software version on the car or will the only differance be the mp3 support?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5' post='805755' date='Mar 2 2009, 07:59 PM
Are there any other benifits to having a more recent software version on the car or will the only differance be the mp3 support?

Dunno. I didn't get mine done yet. I'll let you know after I take it to the other dealer. I have to make an appointment still, but when I spoke to them earlier, they said they were already scheduling for next week.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by exx1976' post='805412' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:09 PM
So I take my car in for service for the first time ever. I bought it in NJ, I live in NY. I ask about a BMW loaner, and the SA says "Sorry, our policy is to only provide loaner vehicles to customers who purchase their BMW from our dealership. We do have an Enterprise Rent-a-car on site for $35 a day."

I don't make any arguments about it (this time - it's just maintenance stuff, and my office is less than 2 miles away), and accept a ride from one of their drivers to my office in an 09 x3. Man, did I NOT like that thing! Overuse of plastic, pop-up Nav screen. Blech.

My question though, is this correct? I thought all BMW dealers, regardless of where the car was purchased, provided free loaners (usually BMWs) to people who bring their cars into the shop for repair?!?
According to my dealer, they said Loaner car program is set up by BMW dealership not from North America BMW. So they have rights to make up rules and regulations for their loaner cars.
My dealer only offers loaner cars for vehicles that have been sold through their dealership. most of their loaner cars are one that will become CPO cars..
Old 03-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Members

Man, I feel sorry for a few of you after reading this thread. I bought my car at a carmax in Norcal and BMW of San Diego always gives me a loaner. Im not even under warranty and it is always free. Off the top of my head I think 4 of the 6 times have been BMW's as well. Such as my current Z4 loaner. Some dealers Suck A@#
Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Banned

I concur about it varying throughout. In phoenix there are 3 huge dealers and any one of them would give you a loaner no matter if you bought it from them or not and was always a BMW. I have gotten x5, x3, 328, 528s. I am surprised any dealer uses 335?535s as loaners due to the more expensive engine fixes long term but that is cool if you get that.

I moved to ohio where there are 2 dealers in the city and both give bmw rentals if you bought their OR if you bought your car out of state which I really appreciate since that is what I did. I do feel that is pretty fair because I could understand as a business perspective both ways. If I am dealer A in the city and someone bought from dealer B I would see why not wanting to waste resources on them since they did not do business with me. On the other hand I could see if I give them and lure them with amazing service, even though they didnt buy their last car from me, maybe it will sway them to buy from me in the future.

Either way I think it is fair to not penalize an out of state buyer (if you truly lived somewhere else and not just bought in another state and had it delivered etc) because you are stuck not being able to go to your original dealer and then not being able to get a rental from anyone in the city if they do not allow it.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

My dealership's policy is you get an Enterprise rental loaner if you bought the car there. This also applies to out-of warranty vehicles such as my E46. This is the number 1 reason why I have bought all 3 of my BMWs from them. Luckily, they have been very competitive at sale time, but this benefit alone would be worth spending an extra thousand or so more for me as I am sure I would regain that in free loaners, free coffee and bagels, and my time over the life of the car....
Old 03-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Dropped my car off today and they had an 08 328i waiting for me all ready to go. First time ever driving a 3 series and man am I glad I bought a 5 it is way nicer then the 3 series!

Quick Reply: No BMW loaner? WTF?