Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

No BMW loaner? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

So I take my car in for service for the first time ever. I bought it in NJ, I live in NY. I ask about a BMW loaner, and the SA says "Sorry, our policy is to only provide loaner vehicles to customers who purchase their BMW from our dealership. We do have an Enterprise Rent-a-car on site for $35 a day."

I don't make any arguments about it (this time - it's just maintenance stuff, and my office is less than 2 miles away), and accept a ride from one of their drivers to my office in an 09 x3. Man, did I NOT like that thing! Overuse of plastic, pop-up Nav screen. Blech.

My question though, is this correct? I thought all BMW dealers, regardless of where the car was purchased, provided free loaners (usually BMWs) to people who bring their cars into the shop for repair?!?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i / Black Sapphire / Premium / Navigation / Bluetooth / PDC / USB Audio Integration / 6 Speed Sport Automatic with Steptronic / Logic 7 / Comfort Access / Auto Folding Mirrors / Comfort Seats / Rear Heated Seats / 35% Tint All Around / Black Dakota Leather

I believe that is correct, at least in Canada. I am assuming it is the same in the US. For my E39 I always had to pay for a rental. For my new 2008 E60, I am entitled to a loaner "only" for major work, not even oil changes because that is an express service. I can either wait or get the shuttle service to my house and back.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

I am a relative newcomer to the Bimmer world, however, the statement you attribute to the dealership does not seem far off from what one of my partner's experiences. He purchased his 2005 7 series from a private owner in NYC and takes it for its periodic maintenance to the local BMW dealership (which is where I purchased my E60), which is about 3.5 miles from our office.

In the several times he's had the car in for service, they have never provided him with a loaner using the same rationale as the dealer did in your post.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by exx1976' post='805412' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:09 PM
So I take my car in for service for the first time ever. I bought it in NJ, I live in NY. I ask about a BMW loaner, and the SA says "Sorry, our policy is to only provide loaner vehicles to customers who purchase their BMW from our dealership. We do have an Enterprise Rent-a-car on site for $35 a day."

I don't make any arguments about it (this time - it's just maintenance stuff, and my office is less than 2 miles away), and accept a ride from one of their drivers to my office in an 09 x3. Man, did I NOT like that thing! Overuse of plastic, pop-up Nav screen. Blech.

My question though, is this correct? I thought all BMW dealers, regardless of where the car was purchased, provided free loaners (usually BMWs) to people who bring their cars into the shop for repair?!?
Nope, loaners are not guaranteed...I use BMW of Sterling here in the DC area (as little as possible actually) and it's the same deal. If it's in for service and you didn't buy it there you get to pay for your own rental. What a joke...At the Lexus dealership where we take my wife's car they bend over backwards to take care of you (loaner included...usually a brand new, always a Lexus)...HEll even the indy shop I use offers me a loaner gratis (Curry's Auto).
Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't getting the run around. I've already had a few bad experiences with this dealership before even owning a BMW (while searching for one I called them about one on their lot, and got jerked around to the point that I called the GM and complained about the salesman's treatment of potential customers). I just see all these posts about "post pics of your BMW loaner".

Thanks for setting me right!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Members

I didn't buy my car at BMW of Nashville and the first two or three times I went in there they always provided the shuttle service, however they did give me a loaner (09 330i) when I had to return the very next day because something they "fixed" was still not fixed...

Since then I just ask for the loaner and they have always let me have one unless there is a weather issue and they aren't letting loaners out. Maybe I just have a cool SA. Who knows.. but so far BMW of Nashville has been pretty good to me.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

hell no i wont leave my car there unless i get a loaner.

but my dealer is pretty cool
Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

Yeah, my dealer is SO cool that I dropped the car off there at 9:30 this morning (it's now 1:30) for a progman update to enable MP3s (doing the iPod adapter - shhh!). I gave them the SIB. They called back and said "That's only for new cars, we'll have to charge you." "How much?" "I don't know, let me check with the tech and I'll get back to you." I call at 1:30 to find out if they have a price yet to complete this ~2 hour job, and the woman tells me "Your SA just left for lunch, he'll be back at 2:30." WTF? I'm supposed to pick the car up at 4:30!

I just called another BMW an hour away, and they quoted me "Around $100 for a progman update on an 04 545. No extra charge to disable the DRLs since we'll be in there anyway. When would you like to bring it by?"

WTF?!?!?!?! I SO wish there was more than one BMW dealer within 60 miles of me...
Old 03-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

The dealer I bought mine from is 2 hrs away.....and I take it in for service here locally....have had no problems getting 2 loaners so far, and am scheduled to get one tomorrow when i take it in
Old 03-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Originally Posted by exx1976' post='805412' date='Mar 2 2009, 01:09 PM

I didnt purchase my vehicle new or used from the dealer. I bought it private and i have never been refused a loaner whether service or anything 'major', unless of course they just dont have any. I always schedule my visits so I'm never without a loaner. They always give me X5's or e60's, but never this Enterprise rental car option. Both area dealers do it for me no problems.

Quick Reply: No BMW loaner? WTF?