Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Newbie needs help with possible preowned purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am considering the purchase of a 2006 silver 525i sporttronic for $39000, premium package 9,700 miles the only imperfection I could find was a small ding on rear quarter panel.

A few questions I had before I sign the papers:

1.) Most obviously is this a good deal?

2.) Do you recommend taking it to a dealer technician for a once over?

3.) What is the life span of this model. I have been told the BMW's typically run for 7 years so that would mean 2010 correct?

4.) Any typical problems to look for?

5.) Does IDrive suck that bad?

6.) how do you purchase an extended warranty from BMW?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this in the wrong forum, please feel free to move if necessary.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

1. Hard to say without more data. If in excellent condition, with only the premium package, it would be pretty good for a private sale, good for a retail sale. It really depends on where you live, options, color, market conditions.
2. I'd take any used car to a good shop to check it out, if only to make sure there are no big obvious problems, accident repair, etc.
3. The e60 is due to be phased out in Q1 2010, there is a message or two in the forum.
4. Search the forum, there are threads on glitches and more major problems.
5. Are you technophile or phobe? If you can use a computer mouse, you can pick it up pretty quickly. Some options are not intuitively placed in the menu structure, just like some cars have buttons in weird places. It isn't the horror that magazines make it out to be, and as people become more accustomed to the interface I think they'll appreciate it more. It's either this or a gazillion buttons. Audi's might be a little easier to pick up, but it isn't too bad.
6. I'll defer, but I bet if you search on it here you'll find something.

Welcome to the forum. Probably most of your questions are answered soemwhere here, including some you'll never think to ask. I wish I found this place before I bought my e60, so look around a bit. But I'm glad I got an e60. Good luck!
Old 08-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by VIIV' post='323437' date='Aug 16 2006, 11:13 PM
1. Hard to say without more data. If in excellent condition, with only the premium package, it would be pretty good for a private sale, good for a retail sale. It really depends on where you live, options, color, market conditions.
2. I'd take any used car to a good shop to check it out, if only to make sure there are no big obvious problems, accident repair, etc.
3. The e60 is due to be phased out in Q1 2010, there is a message or two in the forum.
4. Search the forum, there are threads on glitches and more major problems.
5. Are you technophile or phobe? If you can use a computer mouse, you can pick it up pretty quickly. Some options are not intuitively placed in the menu structure, just like some cars have buttons in weird places. It isn't the horror that magazines make it out to be, and as people become more accustomed to the interface I think they'll appreciate it more. It's either this or a gazillion buttons. Audi's might be a little easier to pick up, but it isn't too bad.
6. I'll defer, but I bet if you search on it here you'll find something.

Welcome to the forum. Probably most of your questions are answered soemwhere here, including some you'll never think to ask. I wish I found this place before I bought my e60, so look around a bit. But I'm glad I got an e60. Good luck!
Are you buy the used car from a dealer or private party?