5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/)
-   -   New Detailed E60 Info (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/new-detailed-e60-info-111/)

Litster 08-11-2003 03:42 PM

I just received this from my dealer over email. I think y'all will be interested in reading it. A lot of details. It is very long! :D I think it is for the press. Note the dateline: September 15, 2003.

2004 5 Series:
new generation of BMW's legendary midsize sport sedans
Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey, September 15, 2003...For seven model years, the 4th-
generation BMW 5 Series - BMW internal code E39 - has won virtually universal praise
from critics and customers alike. Remarkably, even during its final calendar year,
BMW's "middle Series" defied convention by achieving higher U.S. sales than in the
previous year; perhaps even more remarkably, as recently as June '03 it was still going
strong, with sales running fully 25.8% higher than in June '02. This doesn't "just happen"
with a car line approaching the end of its production life; instead, it reflects the
soundness of this Series' concept and execution.

The E39 5 Series has been a truly remarkable automobile. Its awards never stopped
coming: "Best Luxury Sedan under $40,000" (525i, Automobile Magazine All-Stars,
February '02)...10Best (Car and Driver, January '02)..."Still the textbook definition of
'midsize sport sedan'" (Motor Trend, February '02...honored in Strategic Vision's new
Total Delight awards for 2003, just to name of few of its more recent garlands.

Thus the 5 Series as we've known it recently was truly a tough act to follow. But BMW
knows how to follow tough acts; the new 5 Series - internal code E60 - proves this
once again. Beginning with July '03 production, three new 5 Series models will be
phased in to form the new-generation 2004 5 Series.

Excitingly new, yet true to the 5 Series tradition
Following the '02 debut of the new 7 Series and '03 launch of the Z4 Roadster, the new
5 takes BMW's "new look" to another vehicle category; yet upon the very first glance
one knows that this is a BMW 5 Series.

Also in the BMW tradition, this is not merely a new look. For one thing, the new 5 is a
roomier car: Riding on a wheelbase 2.3 inches longer than before, these new Sedans
are 2.6 in. longer and 1.8 in. wider than their predecessors, as well as 1.3 in. taller.
These dimensional gains result in greater rear seating space and comfort; entry into the
rear seating compartment is easier, and there's fully 26% more trunk space.

And yet the new 5 preserves the trim look and driving feel, the maneuverability and
agility that have always been a core value of the 5 Series. Contributing to this
achievement is an all-aluminum front-end structure that allows the size increase,
comfort and safety advances, and enhanced feature content with actual model-for-
model decreases in overall vehicle weight..

The new Series consists of three models, each powered by its specific engine. The
525i Sedan ($39,995 including destination charge) continues with the engine of its
predecessor, the responsive and fuel-efficient 2.5-liter, 184-horsepower inline 6-cylinder
unit that belies any thought of "entry-level" status; its production begins in September
'03. The 530i Sedan ($44,995), whose production begins in July, again offers a step up
in 6-cylinder power (3.0 liters, 225 hp) and additional standard equipment over the 525i.
And the 545i Sedan production begins September) derives its new model designation
from the remarkable Valvetronic engine first introduced in the 7 Series: a 4.4-liter V-8
delivering 325 hp. That's up 35 hp from the previous 540i, which was still being
acclaimed for its performance and sound toward the end of its tenure.

Each model is available with a choice of three transmissions, all 6-speeds: manual,
STEPTRONIC automatic and a Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG) . Each is available
with a wide range of optional Packages and stand-alone options, many of them new
and innovative. The 545i is actually offered in two versions: 545i with the 6-speed
automatic transmission and luxury-oriented equipment ($54,995) and 545i 6-Speed
with the 6-speed manual transmission and Sport equipment ($57,600). It is on this latter
version of the 545i that the SMG is available.

And every new 5 Series offers, as either standard or optional equipment, innovative new
technology - including the unique and patented Valvetronic engine concept, Active Roll
Stabilization, Xenon Adaptive headlights, Adaptive brakelights, run-flat tires, an evolved
iDrive driver/vehicle interface, a Head-Up Display, Active Cruise Control and BMW's
unique Active Steering.

Under the aluminum hood: a choice of velvety 6-cylinder or V-8 power
Up front in each new 5 Series model is a powertrain that brings together exciting and
effective new combinations and significantly advances BMW's state of the art.

Going into their new generation with unchanged model designations, the 525i and 530i
are powered by the familiar 2.5- and 3.0-liter versions of the M54 inline 6-cylinder
engine, a BMW hallmark as well as a never-ending source of critical praise and owner
satisfaction. In its January '02 bestowal of the annual 10Best awards, Car and Driver
described these units as BMW's "magical six-cylinder powertrains that spin with velvety
smoothness while delivering thrust completely out of proportion to their size."

Though their official power and torque ratings are unchanged, both "sixes" incorporate
new intake and exhaust system fine-tuning to enhance response at low to medium
speeds. The 525i engine delivers 184 hp, 175 lb-ft. of torque and a 0-60-mph time of 7.8
seconds with the newly standard 6-speed manual transmission, and 8.2 sec. with the
also new 6-speed automatic; with its 225 hp and 214 lb-ft. of torque, the 530i achieves a
0-60-mph time of just 6.6 sec. with manual transmission, 6.9 with automatic.

Both these engines include many notable engineering features:
? Inline 6-cylinder configuration, for outstanding smoothness and sound
? Aluminum construction, contributing to both overall vehicle weight efficiency and
BMW's typical optimum front/rear weight distribution
? Dual overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder
? Chain camshaft drive, requiring no periodic replacement
? Double VANOS steplessly variable valve timing
? Hydraulic valve adjustment for consistently quiet operation and low maintenance
? Electronic throttle system for smooth, precisely calibrated throttle action
? Electronically controlled engine cooling, for precise and purposeful control of
engine temperatures; contributes to fuel efficiency and heater effectiveness
? ULEV II status - meeting Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle standards, an advance over
the previous versions of these engines.

545i is a new model designation; its "uprating" comes from the new engine, the N62
unit that made its debut in the 7 Series V-8 models.

Though the V-8's 4.4-liter displacement is unchanged from the previous M62 engine,
virtually everything else about it is new. It develops a greater "punch of power": At 325
hp, a full 35 hp more than its predecessor. With the 6-speed manual transmission,
official BMW data indicate a 0-60-mph time of just 5.7 sec.; with the automatic, the 545i
comes within just a fraction of a stopwatch tick at 5.8 sec.

Equally remarkably, the 545i models can be expected to achieve higher fuel efficiency
as well. Official EPA ratings aren't available yet, but this new engine lifted the V-8 7
series from 17/23 mpg ('01 740i) to 18/26 ('02 745i) despite greater vehicle weight in
'02. How BMW achieved these remarkable results is unique and fascinating:

Valvetronic: revolutionary new "breathing" concept. Many engines now have
variable valve timing, including all of BMW's. Some also vary valve lift. Valvetronic varies
lift - but to a far greater, more fundamental degree than any other system. Indeed,
engine breathing is controlled entirely by the valves, and the traditional throttle simply
goes away.

The Valvetronic mechanism sits atop the intake valves on both of the V-8's cylinder
banks. Each of the engine's 32 valves is actuated as the camshaft lobe deflects a
finger-type rocker arm. On the intake side, there is an added element between the cam
lobe and rocker arm, an intermediate follower.

Upon contact by the camshaft lobe, this follower actuates the rocker arm and, in turn,
the valve. The follower is held in place by an eccentric shaft that can be rotated by a
small servo motor. This shaft, which rotates in response to the driver's accelerator-
pedal movements, determines the intermediate follower's pivot point and thus varies the
valve lift. The system's highlights:
? Intake valves assume function of throttle. The driver's foot gives the
commands; valve lift varies accordingly. At minimum lift, the engine is idling or
decelerating; at maximum lift, it produces full power.
? Greater efficiency. As a throttle closes, it imposes a restriction that incoming air
must snake around. This causes so-called "pumping losses," which take an
increasing portion of engine power in lower-speed driving. By eliminating the
throttle(s) and letting the valves control the breathing, Valvetronic essentially
eliminates pumping losses.
? More spontaneous engine response. Drivers are impressed by how
spontaneously and quickly the engine responds to the accelerator pedal.
? More power. Valve lift is tailored precisely to operating conditions, and is extra-high
at the top end. This helps the N62 engine achieve high power.
? Refined engine operation. In light-load driving, operation is especially smooth
because of the relatively small valve lift of 0.5 to 2 millimeters.
? Excellent cold starting. The small valve opening promotes effective vaporization
of fuel, even when the engine is being started from cold.
? No mechanical throttle linkage. With Valvetronic, "drive-by-wire" is even more
natural than with a conventional throttle: Via the accelerator pedal, the driver's call
for power is transmitted electronically to the eccentric shaft's electric servo motor.
? Stepless variation of valve lift. Valve lift is varied continuously and smoothly all
the way from minimum to maximum lift.
? Lightning-fast system response. The system can vary lift all the way from
minimum to maximum in just 300 milliseconds, or 0.3 sec. To achieve this, BMW
developed a dedicated Valvetronic microprocessor, which networks with the 40-
megahertz/32-bit primary engine computer.
? Low friction, precision components. There are no "rubbing points" in the
Valvetronic mechanism. Instead, low-friction rollers transmit the motion: from cam
lobe to intermediate follower, from intermediate follower to rocker arm, from
eccentric shaft to intermediate follower. The follower itself is a precision casting,
machined to virtual perfection. To ensure quiet operation, zero valve clearance is
maintained hydraulically.

Double VANOS. Responding to operating conditions and the driver's demands for
power, Double VANOS rotates the intake and exhaust camshafts steplessly between
"earliest" and "latest" valve timing. In combination with Valvetronic, this variable valve
timing helps achieve new levels of performance, efficiency and general operational
excellence.

Fully variable intake manifold: another major new technology. The 525i and 530i
engines employ 2-stage intake manifolds, with a flap mechanism that switches
between two paths for air entering the engine: one tuned for low- to medium-speed
operation (improving torque and response), the other for high-speed operation
(improving top-end power).

For the N62 engine, BMW engineers conceived an system with two intertwined helical
elements which, rotated by an electric servo motor, vary the effective intake length
steplessly. Like Valvetronic and stepless Double VANOS, this manifold concept
eliminates traditional compromises to achieve truly optimum performance.

The proof is in the driving: media praise. All this ground-breaking technology pays
off in real-world performance, as media critics have found in their tests of 745 models
with this engine:
? Road & Track, June '02: "With all this neat technology you'd expect this N62 engine
to be excellent, and it is. The new 7's V-8 responds instantaneously to the driver's
right foot as it delivers dose after dose of pure unadulterated acceleration."
? Car and Driver, January 2002: "This 325-hp Valvetronic V-8 is nothing short of
magnificent. Smooth and silent at idle and cruising speeds, it sings a lovely muted
tenor note on the boil. And it flat gets up and flies, the transmission handing off from
one cog to the next as seamlessly as an Olympic relay runner."

Transmissions: three choices for each model, all 6-speeds
All transmissions for the new 5 Series are brand-new; every one is a 6-speed.

6-speed manual, 525i and 530i. This new 6-speed enhances the performance and
driving pleasure of the new 6-cylinder models. Weighing no more than the previous 5-
speed, the ZF Type H transmission offers -
? New, even more effective synchronization of shifting
? Lighter and more pleasing feel as the shift lever is moved from gear to gear
? Sportier shift action, via 10-mm (0.4-in.) shorter shift "throws" from neutral to each
gear.

Compared to the previous 5-speed, the 6-speed's internal ratios for 1st through 5th
gears are approximately the same; the major gearing difference is 6th gear, which
provides an 0.85:1 ratio for a relaxed cruising feel and satisfying fuel efficiency.

6-speed, 545i. The new 5 Series V-8 model is again among the few 8-cylinder
automobiles available with a 6-speed manual transmission. A new 6-speed makes its
first appearance here. It shares all the operational advances of the Type H, and is lighter
than the previous 6-speed.

6-speed automatic, all models. The 545i's 6-speed automatic is essentially the same
6 HP 26 unit first seen in the new 7 Series. Like all other current BMW models, it
incorporates STEPTRONIC, with Manual and Sport modes; this is a departure from the
previous 540i unit, which had the STEPTRONIC feature only in combination with the
optional Sport Package. The 5 Series has a traditional mechanical shift lever on the
console, with the familiar P-R-N -D ranges on the right, an M/S gate on the left, and up-
and downshifting by tipping the lever rearward and forward.

The six speeds complement the Valvetronic engine's wide rpm range, facilitating a
virtually seamless flow of power, and providing a highly relaxed 6th gear for cruising at
Interstate and freeway speeds.

Brand-new is a 6-speed automatic for the 6-cylinder models too: the ZF 6 HP 19.
Derived from the 6 HP 26 and providing the same gear ratios, this unit is sized for
smaller engines; compared to the 5-speed unit it replaces, it's fully 10% lighter, has a
more efficient torque converter, operates with fewer internal clutches than the 5-speed,
and can reduce overall fuel consumption.

6-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG), all models. Yet another new 5 Series
feature. To be offered at a later date (only in combination with Sport Package), the
E60's SMG is similar to that offered in the Z4 Series, rather than the BMW M version
with the more elaborate Drivelogic shift-control system.

Like all BMW SMG units, this is an electrohydraulically shifted, electronically controlled
rendition of a 6-speed manual transmission, including an automatic clutch; as such it is
an utterly different type of transmission from a conventional automatic such as the
STEPTRONIC unit. There is no clutch pedal; the driver selects the desired mode (N, R,
D) with a console-mounted selector lever, and can execute manual shifts via that lever
or two "paddles" on the steering wheel. The fundamental advantages of SMG are that it
fully preserves the performance of a manual transmission, entails little penalty in fuel
economy, and facilitates both automated and very sporty driving.

Features and characteristics of the SMG driver interface include the following:
? A Drive mode (D) in which shifting is automated
? A Manual mode (M) in which shifting is mostly driver-controlled
? A Sport button on the console, which selects a Sport program
? An instrument-panel display of the gear currently engaged and the operational
range currently selected.

In D, shifts are automatic, and programmed according to how the driver is currently
driving: More aggressive driving results in shift points at higher speeds. D is not to be
interpreted as a substitute for the Drive range of a fully automatic transmission, but
rather a convenient operational mode for those times when the driver wants ease of
driving and is not primarily concerned with extracting maximum performance.

In the Manual mode, operation is driver-initiated -
? Tip lever rearward or actuate right-hand paddle = upshift
? Tip lever forward or actuate left-hand paddle = downshift
- with the following exceptions:
? If the driver takes the engine up to its rpm limit, SMG will automatically shift to the
next higher gear.
? Upon deceleration, as the engine comes down to approximately 1100 rpm, SMG
selects the next lower gear. When the vehicle comes to a stop, SMG selects 1st
gear automatically; upon moving off, however, the driver again controls the shifting.

Engaging the Sport program via the Sport button on the console influences shifting as
follows:
? In M, shifts occur more quickly (sharply).
? In D, shifts occur not only more quickly, but at higher road speeds. This is parallel to
the Sport mode of BMW automatic transmissions.

In the Sport program, throttle action is also "quicker"; that is, a given amount of
movement at the accelerator pedal produces more engine response.
An instrument-cluster display tells the driver which of the six speeds is currently
engaged. In D, it also shows a "D."

In the 545i 6-Speed, SMG makes its first BMW appearance in combination with a V-8
engine.

Aluminum driveshaft. In a new BMW innovation, the driveshaft is aluminum. Saving
more than 13 pounds over a conventional all-steel shaft, this does retain steel for
essential strength in the bolted connections; BMW has developed a special friction
welding technique to bond the steel and aluminum components.

Handling and riding comfort: once again advancing the state of the art
Over its seven-year production cycle, the previous 5 Series was considered by most of
the motoring media as one of the wonders of the automotive world. With its rigid body
structure, advanced aluminum suspension system and the fine-tuning at which BMW is
famously capable, it delivered a combination of handling prowess and supple riding
comfort that was the envy of the world's motor-vehicle industry.

The new 5 Series further evolves this illustrious standing. As always with new BMW
vehicle generations, the chassis/body unit's structural rigidity has been further
improved. The aluminum suspension has been further evolved, and a revolutionary new
steering system is offered as an option.

Front suspension and steering system: full aluminum suspension,
rack-and- pinion steering now on all models
The front suspension system is evolved from that of the previous 6-cylinder models as
a virtually full aluminum system teamed with rack-and-pinion steering. (Previous V-8
models had a steel front subframe and recirculating-ball steering.) The system's
geometry continues to be of the double-pivot type, a unique BMW system that has
proven benefits to handling stability and response. All models benefit from the reduced
unsprung weight of aluminum, which optimizes the suspension's response to irregular
road surfaces; this allows the suspension engineers to achieve a supple ride in
combination with precise, responsive and enjoyable handling.

Aluminum components include the following (those with an asterisk are newly of
aluminum in the V-8 models):
Unsprung -
? Both lower arms (two per side)
? Steering knuckles
? Strut tubes
Sprung -
? Spring pads
? Subframe*
? Thrust plate (a new component, similar to that found in M3s and Z4s)
? Steering rack*.

Other aluminum components in this area, though not part of the suspension system,
further contribute to overall weight savings: engine mounting brackets, transmission
crossmember and mounting brackets, power-steering pump housing.

The adoption of rack-and-pinion steering for all 5 Series models, not just the 6-cylinder
models, follows its appearance on the 7 Series in '02 and marks a transition that BMW
has carefully phased in. Previously, the more luxurious BMWs used recirculating-ball
steering, which transmitted less road shock to the steering wheel but was heavier and
somewhat less precise near the straight-ahead position. As of the 5 Series debut, all
BMW models now have rack-and-pinion steering.

In this transition, BMW developed rack-and-pinion steering to preserve traditional r&p
advantages (light weight, greater precision) while also minimizing the transmission of
road shocks to the steering wheel. The 5 Series' rack-and-pinion system also has the
special feature of variable ratio: The rack's teeth are profiled to make the steering ratio
become quicker as the wheel is turned outward from its center position. This fine-tunes
the steering response according to the situation one is in, be it on a fast straightaway or
maneuvering into a parking space.

Active Steering is a revolutionary new development that's included in the Sport
Package for each model; it is described in the options & accessories section of this
release.

Rear suspension system:
careful evolution of a BMW aluminum multi-link concept
As at the front, the new 5 Series shares its rear suspension concept with the 7 Series;
this is BMW's highly sophisticated multi-link Integral system.

Here, in a continuation of existing 5 Series practice and sharing componentry with the
current 7 Series, aluminum is again extensively employed. Because supple reaction of
the suspension to bumps is especially critical for good road adhesion of the powered
rear wheels, the benefits here are if anything more important than at the front. Aluminum
components include:
Sprung -
? Subframe
? Spring pads
Unsprung -
? All links of the 4-link Integral system
? Shock-absorber tubes

The aluminum subframe, which carries the entire rear suspension system and final
drive (differential), is mounted to the main structure with four large rubber bushings that
help absorb road shocks. The final drive unit is mounted to the subframe through its
own rubber bushings. With these two stages of vibration and noise absorption between
it and the body, the differential is acoustically decoupled from the body, minimizing
any gear noise heard inside the vehicle.

Conventional anti-roll bars standard, Active Roll Stabilization optional
In standard form, all models have conventional anti-roll (stabilizer) bars, as always
carefully calibrated for an optimum combination of response and stability. BMW's
innovative Active Roll Stabilization (ARS), first introduced on the 7 Series, comes to the
5 Series as part of the Sport Package and makes for amazingly "flat" cornering; it is
described in the options & accessories section of this release.

Ventilated disc brakes:
more stopping power and new weight-saving technology
Compared to the already powerful and fade-resistant brakes of the predecessor Series,
the brakes of each new 5 Series model are upsized for even greater braking
performance:
? 525i - 310-mm diameter x 24-mm thickness at the front, vs. previous 1296 x 22
(12.2 x 0.94 in. vs. previous 11.7 x 0.87); 320-mm x 20-mm rear brakes, vs.
previous 298 x 20 (12.6 x 0.79 in. vs. previous 11.7 x 0.79).
? 530i - 324 x 30-mm front brakes (12.8 x 1.18-in.) are unchanged; 320 x 20 rear
brakes, vs. previous 298 x 20 (12.6 x 0.79 in. vs. previous 11.7 x 0.79).
? 545i - 348 x 30-mm front brakes vs. previous 540i's 324 x 30 (13.7 x 1.18 in. vs.
previous 12.8 x 1.18 in.); 345 x 24-mm rear brakes vs. previous 540i's 298 x 20
(13.6 x 0.94 in. vs. previous 11.7 x 0.79 in.).

All discs are ventilated. On the 6-cylinder (525i/530i) models, their cast-iron rotor
construction has been optimized for a modest weight reduction. On the 545i, an
innovative weight-saving construction is introduced for the first time on a regular-
production BMW. (European M3 and M5 models use similarly constructed brakes.)

In this construction, called compound brakes and patented by BMW, the brake rotor
consists of two components: the high-carbon cast-iron outer portion, which functions
conventionally as the surface onto which the brake pads grip; and an aluminum "hat" in
the center, which mounts the rotor to the vehicle. Advantages include:
? Reduced unsprung weight, complementing the aluminum suspension system.
Actual reductions are approximately 1 kg (2.2 lb.) at the front, 0.7 kg (1.5 lb.) at the
rear - very significant in the scheme of things.
? Reduced rotor deformation under hard braking, meaning less tendency of the
brakes to vibrate when very hot, as when negotiating a steep mountain pass at
speed.

All brake calipers are of aluminum, which also reduce unsprung weight; previous V-8
models had cast-iron front calipers. Thus in this respect too, BMW has maintained or
extended its lead in reducing unsprung weight - a lead opened by the predecessor 5
Series that helped set new standards in combining top handling with amazing riding
comfort.

Self-adjusting handbrake mechanism
Two refinements to the handbrake mechanism nicely illustrate BMW's attention to
details that affect usability and maintenance requirements. One is that the handbrake
actuating cable is now self-adjusting, so that adjustment is required less frequently.
The other is that the cable mechanism is newly designed to ensure that braking force -
which can become unequal between the two rear wheels as wear occurs - is always
equal.

Wheels and tires: upgraded all around, two choices for each model
Each model offers a choice of wheel-and-tire equipment: standard and Sport Package.
All wheel designs are new, and run-flat tires make their first 5 Series appearance as
part of the Sport Packages. Every wheel/tire combination represents an upgrade over
previous 5 Series equipment; all combinations are shown in the table on the next page.

Model Equipment Wheel size & style # Tires
525i Standard 16 x 7.0 Trapezoid #134 225/55R-16 V-rated
(lightweight forged alloy) all-season

Sport Package 17 x 8.0 Star Spoke #122 245/45R-17 W-rated
run-flat performance

530i Standard 17 x 7.5 Star Spoke #138 225/50R-17 V-rated
all-season
Sport Package 18 x 8.0 Star Spoke #123 245/40R-18 W-rated
run-flat performance
545i Standard 17 x 7.5 Double Spoke 225/50R-17 V-rated
#116 all-season
Sport Package 18 x 8.0 front/ 245/40R-18 front/
& 6-Speed 18 x 9.0 rear 275/35R-18 rear
model Star Spoke #124 W-rated run-flat
performance

Run-flat tires with all Sport Packages
In their design and configuration, the self-supporting tires are distinguished primarily by
their special sidewalls, which include specific inserts and highly heat-resistant rubber
compounds. These features allow a deflated tire to maintain its essential shape and
guidance characteristics for a considerable distance, so that when confronted with a
flat the driver can continue on until reaching a convenient and safe place to have the tire
repaired or replaced.

Flat Tire Monitor standard on all models
All models are equipped with a Flat Tire Monitor. Whenever tire pressure drops by 30%
or more, the tire's rolling radius changes significantly; this means the wheel will rotate at
a different speed from the other tires on the vehicle. FTM measures wheel rotation via
the Dynamic Stability Control system's wheel-speed sensors, recognizing any major
deviation in wheel speed (and therefore tire pressure). Within a short time, the system
triggers a pressure-loss signal via an indicator in the instrument cluster and an audible
warning.

All models also come standard with a space-saver spare wheel/tire unit, which
contributes to increased trunk space, even models equipped with run-flat tires.

Dynamic Stability Control in its latest form
DSC appears in its latest form (version 8.0) in the new 5 Series, incorporating
programming refinements as well as the Dynamic Traction Control function that first
appeared in the 7 Series and is now included in the 3 and Z4 Series.

Activated by pressing the DSC console switch briefly, DTC improves utilization of
available road traction under specific conditions -
? on sand, gravel, deep snow or packed snow
? climbing hills with deep or packed snow
? when there is deep snow on only one side of the road
? when driving with tire chains.

With DTC selected, engine intervention is de-activated at low speeds, leaving only the
individual wheel brakes to control wheelspin. When the vehicle reaches a speed of
approximately 43 mph, normal DSC operation is re-instated until speed once again
drops below this threshold. A longer push of the DSC button de-activates all DSC
functions except antilock braking.

The new look: esthetics and function in harmony
The new 5 Series body is tightly dimensioned, with short overhangs, lean-forward
dynamics and compact overall size. This is 5 Series tradition - the unique combination
of sedan practicality and BMW sportiness that has characterized the Series through its
previous four generations.

If the concept is traditional, the "design language" is totally new; though by no means a
resized version of either, the new 5 is clearly consistent with BMW's other recent new
designs, moving decisively into the future.

Starting at the front: The "kidney" grilles, a strong link to BMW tradition, are up-front and
prominent, surrounded by painted surfaces and flanked by "quad" headlights (with
BMW's popular luminous rings) under break-resistant clear covers. The body sides are
ultra-clean, deriving esthetic interest not from lots of lines and trim but from a complex
interplay of concave and convex surfaces.

Deeply wrapped-around lighting units at the front and rear not only add visual interest,
but perform their functional duties admirably. The turn signals have clear lenses front
and rear; the front parking lights are a thin, wedge-shaped "eyebrow" of amber LEDs.
Window areas are generous and incorporate the traditional BMW "reverse kink" in the
rear door window, while allowing for beefy roof pillars that contribute to meeting
customers' expectations of excellent accident protection.

At the rear, the new 5 expresses BMW's contemporary trunklid concept - featuring a
high lid for increased cargo capacity - with a flowing integration into the silhouette and
attractive, highly functional taillight wraparounds.

Functional innovation: Adaptive brakelights
Adaptive brakelights made their world debut on the 7 Series; in the meantime they've
appeared on the Z4, 3 Series Coupes and Convertibles, and X5. They are standard on
the new 5 as well, employing light clusters whose active area increases under hard
braking.

There are two taillight segments per side. In normal braking, these same two segments
illuminate more brightly. Under heavy braking or anytime the ABS goes into action,
round segments at the inboard side of each taillight unit illuminate to enlarge the total
brakelight area. Following drivers are thus alerted to sharp braking by the BMW driver.

Technology of the new look: aluminum/steel construction
By employing aluminum for the entire front end - structure as well as skin - BMW's
body engineers have pared approximately 44 lb. off the body/chassis shell's weight
while simultaneously improving its strength and occupant protection. This is the most
extensive use ever of structure-and-skin aluminum in a regular-production BMW: The 7
Series employs aluminum for its hood and front fenders, and the Z8 is all-aluminum but
built in very small quantities.

Building the Z8 and aluminum body components for other current models has given
BMW considerable experience with this weight-saving, effectively energy-absorbing
material. Bringing structural steel and aluminum components together posed new
challenges, especially with regard to maintaining BMW's excellent corrosion resistance:
if steel and aluminum are directly joined, galvanic action can cause corrosion at the
junctions.

According to the materials being joined, three types of joints appear in the 5 Series main
structure:
? Aluminum-aluminum: high-tech adhesives, rivets, laser welding
? Aluminum-steel: high-tech adhesives, rivets
? Spot welding, gas welding.

As is customary at BMW, nearly all steel panels are galvanized. Aluminum components
receive a titanium/zircon coating that hinders oxidation and ensures clean, smooth
surfaces for bonding with adhesives.

Once fully constructed, the body structure is dipped in a phosphate bath and then in a
cathodic primer. Even in such immersion this primer may not reach every last nook and
cranny, so all contact points between aluminum and steel are bonded together with the
adhesive fully covering the joint - indeed, protruding at least 1 mm outside the joint.
Thus direct contact between the aluminum and steel is completely avoided.

Other weight-reducing techniques flowed into the new 5's body engineering. All four
wheelwells incorporate textile inserts that eliminate the need for separate sound
insulation, saving about 35% on weight in this area. The underbody is not only smoother
than before (for aerodynamics) but some 40% lighter, thanks to a new protective
cladding material called Superlite. All models have an aerodynamic drag coefficient of
0.29, as compared to 0.29-0.31 for the various predecessor models.

Altogether, aluminum accounts for approximately 15% of the body/chassis structure. In
some cases the actual model-for-model vehicle-weight savings over '03 models come
out modest; in others they are significant:
? 525i manual transmission: -22 lb.
? 525i automatic transmission: -55 lb.
? 530i manual transmission: -22 lb.
? 530i automatic transmission: -45 lb.
? 545i manual transmission: +55 lb.
? 545i automatic transmission: +11 lb. 7

BMW of North America is schooling personnel at the body shops of its BMW Centers
so that accident damage to the aluminum structure and skin can be repaired
competently throughout the U.S.

The cabin: more space, evolved technology and appealing new materials
More space, particularly for rear-seat passengers, is an important facet of the new 5
Series interior:
? Front-seat occupants enjoy 0.5 in. more shoulder room and 0.3 in. more head
room.
? Rear-seat passengers have 1.3 in. more shoulder room, 0.7 in. more head room
and 1.8 in. more leg room at their disposal.
? Trunk volume is up fully 26% according to EPA measurements.

Yet greater space for people and cargo is only one aspect of the new cabin. Its design
is just as fresh as that of the exterior, and as always with BMW there is a wealth of
new, thoughtful ideas to make the going even more comfortable, more pleasant and
more esthetically satisfying than in the new 5's estimable predecessor.

Cockpit design: flowing lines, tasteful color schemes
In the design of the instrument panel and front seating, a kinship to both the previous 5
Series and the current 7 Series is unmistakable; yet this is a wholly new environment.

The dash design is dominated by a "double wave" theme in two portions: one over the
instrument cluster, defining the driver's area; and another that begins over the dash
center and sweeps toward the right side. Maintaining an important BMW tradition, the
instrument cluster is dominated by two main dials for the speedometer and tachometer;
analog fuel and fuel-economy gauges appear at the bottom of these dials. As in BMW M
models and the 7 Series, the tachometer now includes a variable warning segment: It
extends downward to 4200 rpm when the engine is cold, then gradually increases the
rpm limit to normal as the engine warms up.

At dash center is the display for the evolved iDrive control system, with ventilation
outlets and "hard" climate controls below it, and basic audio controls farther down. Both
front cupholders are positioned to the right of the center console, with the driver's holder
swinging out to the left when opened.

A three-spoke steering steering wheel is standard in all models. Multi-function controls -
including a switch that can be programmed by the driver to perform different functions -
are conveniently arrayed on the wide horizontal spokes; the wheel's tilt/telescopic
power adjustment is quicker-moving than before, and there is automatic tilt-up for ease
of exit and entry.

The evolved iDrive system
Base equipment in all U.S. models is a simplified version of the iDrive system first seen
in the 7 Series, with a 6.5-in. color monitor displaying 256 colors at 400 x 240-pixel
resolution. Its controller provides four menu directions: Communication, Navigation,
Entertainment and Climate, where "Navigation" doesn't necessarily mean the (optional)
GPS Navigation system.

iDrive Displays and control functions have been refined and optimized. As in the 7
Series, there is an aluminum controller knob on the console, accessed equally
conveniently by the driver and front passenger; new here is a Menu button, which when
pressed recalls the main menu. A fifth menu is reached by pressing the controller while
in the main menu; this allows users to choose settings and even turn off the monitor.

An optional GPS Navigation System, described under options and accessories,
substitutes a larger monitor and includes additional iDrive functions.

Refined automatic climate control, standard rain-sensing windshield wipers
All U.S. models come standard with the more elaborate of two automatic climate-
control systems available in Europe; this unit achieves even stronger heating and air-
conditioning performance than its already capable predecessor. The system includes
the following features; new features are indicated by an asterisk:
? Separate left/right temperature controls
? Separate left/right air-distribution controls* (in overriding automatic control, the driver
and passenger can select their individual preferences).
? Inclusion of front footwells in left/right separation*
? Variable rear-compartment ventilation and heating
? Heat at Rest (allows heating interior for a limited time with the engine off)
? Automatic ventilation (allows programming of interior ventilation during periods when
the vehicle is standing)
? Active-charcoal microfilter ventilation
? Bi-directional* solar sensor for front compartment; takes into account the direction
of solar heat in determining interior cooling
? Storage of individual users' climate settings in Vehicle and Key Memory System
? Maximum-a/c setting for rapid cool-down at a single touch of a button
? Automatic recirculation control, with specific sensing capability for diesel exhaust
? Rotary temperature and blower-speed controls*
? Humidity control* - avoids over-dehumidification in a/c operation
? Climate-controlled console storage compartment*
? Multiple defroster outlets* to accommodate optional Head-up Display 8.

Formerly optional on 525i and 530i models and standard on 540i models, rain-sensing
windshield wipers are now standard on all models. Automatic headlight control, which
switches on the headlights and related lighting when ambient light drops below a certain
level, is also now standard.

New, enhanced audio systems
As before, two audio systems are offered: standard and optional premium via the
Premium Sound Package.

The standard AM/FM/CD system includes 10 speakers, now including two subwoofers
optimally positioned at the bases of the B-pillars; this placement utilizes cavities in the
body structure, a principle patented by BMW. Continuing in enhanced form is a
reception-enhancing diversity antenna system; its amplifier has been moved to a more
ideal position, closer to the antenna circuits. A fin-type roof-antenna housing serves the
available phone system, Navigation System and Sirius Satellite Radio.

A 6-disc CD changer, available separately or as part of the Premium Sound Package,
is newly positioned at the forward end of the glove compartment; The Package is
essentially identical to its 7 Series counterpart, including the amazing Logic 7 audio
system; for details see options and accessories.

BMW Assist now standard
Formerly included with the optional Navigation system and integrated telephone, these
amenities are now standard in all 5 Series models. The SOS (Emergency) button is in
the roof console; when it is activated, the hardware transmits the vehicle's location
(determined via GPS technology), as well as other information, then connects the
occupants to the BMW Response Center for assistance.

Upholstery, trim and seating: appealing choices
The 6-cylinder models 525i and 530i come standard with leatherette upholstery and
Titanium-finish trim; a contrasting trim finish called Ruthenium appears on interior door
handles and door pulls. Standard in the V-8 545i models are leather upholstery (in a
new, more luxurious Dakota grade) and Dark Poplar wood trim; these are optional in the
525i and 530i. An alternative wood finish, the distinctive gray Maple Anthracite, is
available at no extra cost in Premium Package-equipped 525i/530i models and any
545i.
As before, 10-way power front seats are standard in all models, as is a memory
system for the driver's seat, steering wheel and exterior mirrors. Seating options
include 4-way power lumbar support, sport front seats and new 20-way Comfort seats
as well as heated front and (a new option) rear seats. For details on availability, see
options and accessories.
Extensive storage space is provided throughout the interior. Between the front
seats is a new two-part center console compartment; its upper portion can
accommodate a phone handset, and the lower part is climate-controlled. A padded lid
on the left side is adjustable fore-aft to give the driver two armrest positions.
The rear seat is again offered in standard and split-folding forms, the latter
released from inside the trunk for effective security. The trunk can accommodate four
golfbags laterally, and employs single-link tubular hinges (as in the 7 Series) that
eliminate any intrusion into the trunk space.

Safety and security: meaningful evolution of an award-winning concept
The 1997-2003 5 Series was widely recognized for its excellent occupant protection; it
pioneered BMW's highly effective Head Protection System for front-seat occupants. For
the new 5 Series, BMW's Research and Engineering Center in Munich, Germany has
carefully evolved the line's established safety concept.

Both front-impact airbags, for example, have been further developed to optimize their 2-
stage, accident-severity-dependent deployment characteristics, their inflated shape,
and their interaction with surrounding surfaces and components. Separately, the
passenger's-side airbag is evolved in that its cover atop the dash's right side is now 2-
piece, the forward portion opening toward the windshield and the rearward toward the
interior: This further refines the airbag's unfolding sequence and protective action.

Front and rear Head Protection System newly engineered
In the predecessor Series' sedans, separate Head Protection Systems afforded
excellent protection for front and outboard rear occupants. The new Series adopts the
integrated front-rear Advanced Head Protection System (AHPS II) first introduced in the
current 7 Series.

AHPS II extends all the way from the A-pillar to the C-pillar, with a "sail" connecting the
inflatable tube to the roof structure between these two end points. The sail is of airbag-
type material; between it and the long inflatable tube itself, essentially all body-side and
side-window areas likely to be impacted by an occupant's head are covered by the
system. According to BMW safety engineers, the front/rear AHPS II -
? Combines the best protective attributes of BMW's familiar HPS and competitive
"curtain"-type systems.
? Offers the same advantage as the front-only HPS in extended crash sequences
(such as a rollover) in that after deployment, it remains inflated for approximately 7
seconds.
? Because of its relative rigidity once inflated, provides protection against shattered
glass and intrusions from the outside.
? Offers protection to persons of small or large stature.

Active Head Restraints available for front-seat occupants
Included with the optional 20-way Comfort front seats, this feature enhances protection
from neck injuries in rear-end impacts. Via two additional sensors, the front head
restraints pivot forward into close proximity with the driver's and front passenger's
heads; thus they are able, if they prefer, to adjust the head restraints away from direct
contact with their heads during normal vehicle use, yet in the case of a rear-end impact
gain optimum protection.

Other notable safety features and systems include:
Ultra-sensitive "satellite" side-impact sensors. By sensing pressure change within
the door structure, they signal for deployment very early in a side impact, yet still
minimize the chance of an unwanted development.

Interlocking door anchoring system. This familiar BMW feature employs the
aluminum reinforcing bars in each door to strengthen the body side. At the aft end of
each diagonally positioned aluminum bar is a hook-like member that, in the event of a
serious side impact, hooks into the body as the door deforms. The system is designed
so that after most impacts, elastic snap-back releases the hook and the doors can be
opened.

Intelligent Safety and Information System (ISIS), an overall system for controlling
the vehicle's safety systems and devices. ISIS is a decentralized system, with an
overall Safety Gateway Module (SGM) and seven subordinate control units, each with a
microprocessor of its own. This multiplicity of units provides a redundancy that helps
preserve system reliability even when portions of the system might be damaged by
accident forces. In interaction with the main and subordinate units, ISIS employs fully 14
sensors, which together achieve remarkable "tailoring" of the deployment of airbags,
Battery Safety Terminal and safety-belt tensioners to actual accident circumstances.

Supporting the ultra-sophisticated electronic control scheme itself, fiber-optic cables
are not susceptible to extraneous electromagnetic disturbances. System software can
be updated over the life of the vehicle.

Options and accessories: an appealing array of familiar and new features
The range of factory options and BMW Center-installed accessories is multi-faceted.
Some options, like the Premium and Cold Weather Packages and stand-alone leather
option for the 6-cylinder models, are continuations of familiar 5 Series offerings. Others,
such as a choice of two different wood interior trims, Active Steering and Active Cruise
Control, are new.

Premium Package (525i and 530i). Adds familiar and new features, most of which are
standard on the V-8 545i models, to the 6-cylinder models. New features or details are
denoted with an asterisk:
? Dakota* leather upholstery, even more luxurious than the previous Montana grade
? Dark Poplar* wood trim
? Design Light Package*, consisting of LED ground lighting in the exterior mirror
housings; illumination at interior door handles and door storage bins; front footwell
lighting; exit/entry lighting in rear door panels (front standard); additional trunk
lighting.
? 4-way power lumbar support for the front seats
? Auto-dimming exterior* and interior mirrors with power folding feature.
? BMW Universal Transceiver, with three functions for operating garage doors and
other external devices.

Sport Package. Essentially the same for all models but with different wheel-and-tire
equipment for each models. The 545i (with automatic transmission) offers this
Package as optional equipment; on the 545i 6-Speed (with manual transmission) it is
standard.
Includes some of the Series' most exciting new technology. Again, new features or
details are noted with an asterisk.
? Active Steering*. Exclusive to BMW in the U.S. market, this brand-new feature
electromechanically varies the steering ratio on the basis of vehicle speed and other
driving conditions. The variation in steering ratio is much greater than is achievable
by purely mechanical means like that which is standard on this Series - so great, in
fact, that steering-wheel movements required in parking maneuvers, U-turns and
sharp low-speed corners are very significantly reduced. This results in greater
convenience, comfort and agility; controls located on the steering wheel can be
operated more easily and naturally while the driver is steering. Other benefits
include -
Further optimized driving dynamics. Measures many factors of operating
conditions and varies the steering ratio to optimize dynamics.
Vehicle stabilization. Can intervene in situations that would normally reduce the
vehicle's stability. Example: braking when the vehicle is moving on a surface with
uneven traction, such as pavement on one side and packed snow on the other.

Active Steering operates through an auxiliary planetary gearbox, positioned at the
bottom of the steering column, to increase or decrease the amount of rotation there
relative to the driver's turning of the steering wheel. The planetary gearbox is
electrically driven and can vary the overall steering ratio between 10:1 and 20:1.
? Servotronic power assist*. Vehicle-speed-sensitive instead of the 5 Series'
standard engine-speed-sensitive assist - an essential feature because of the very
"quick" steering at lower speeds.
? Active Roll Stabilization*. Replaces conventional anti-roll (stabilizer) bars with
active bars, which are twisted by hydraulic actuators to achieve amazingly "flat"
cornering.
? Sport suspension calibration. This more traditional BMW Sport Package feature
means firmer springs and shock absorbers, plus 15-mm (0.6-in.) lower ride height.
? Sporty wheels and run-flat* performance tires. Described in detail elsewhere in
this text; unique wheel design for each model and W-rated tires in 17-in. sizes for
the 525i, 18-in. for the 530i and 18-in. with front/rear differentiated sizes for 545i
models.
? Satin Chrome Shadowline exterior trim. All-black trim around the side windows
replaces the standard black-plus-chrome treatment.
? 12-way power front sport seats, adding power-adjustable thigh support and
specially contoured seat cushions and backrests. Can now be combined with the
available 4-way power lumbar support.

The Cold Weather Package (all models) includes:
? High-intensity headlight cleaning system with new retracting jets
? Heated front seats with new variable heating balance between the seat cushions
and backrests, controlled via the iDrive monitor.
? Heated steering wheel.

Premium Sound Package (all models). A significant step up from the premium audio
equipment offered previously, including -
? Logic 7 audio system. Includes increased audio power, 13 speakers vs. the
standard 10, even higher-caliber speakers throughout, Digital Sound Processing
and Surround Sound simulation.
? 6-disc CD changer, newly positioned in the glove compartment (formerly in trunk).

Rear-seat Entertainment Package (all models; delayed availability). This Package,
which provides for multimedia viewing and listening in the rear seat, will include -
? A video monitor positioned at the rear of the center console
? A trunk-installed 6-disc multimedia changer (DVD/CD)
? Two wireless headphones
? A wireless remote control
? An input jack for external sources.

The 6.5-in. color monitor offers all menus available on the front monitor; it is controlled
from the wireless remote, which is subordinate to the front controller. The input jack
allows for external sources such as Gameboy, MP3 player or a VCR.

6-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission. Described earlier; offered as an option
on the 525i and 530i, standard equipment on the 545i.

6-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG) (all models; delayed availability).
Described earlier in this text.

Active Cruise Control (all models). Recently introduced on the 7 Series, ACC is
offered as a stand-alone option.

Employing a radar sensor at the front of the vehicle, ACC senses the speed of vehicles
traveling ahead, and adjusts the BMW's speed to maintain a safe following distance.
Operation is as follows:
When the road is clear, operation is essentially as with the standard cruise control,
though with certain specific nuances:
? The current speed is captured by tipping the cruise-control stalk forward or
rearward. Thereafter, each time the stalk is tipped forward or rearward, the set
speed is increased or decreased by 5 mph.
? The driver can also adjust the set speed (upward only) in increments of 1 mph by
pressing inward on the slider button at the left end of the stalk. When cruise control
has been cancelled (by braking, for example), this button is used to resume.
? The set speed is indicated by an arrow at the speedometer scale and a digital
display in the instrument's center field.

When traffic is encountered ahead, ACC's special capabilities come into play:
? The driver can choose from four following distances by adjusting the rotary dial on the
control stalk. Via four bars below the vehicle icon in the speedometer dial, the chosen
following distance is displayed briefly after selection (more bars = greater distance).
? When the radar sensor detects a vehicle ahead, the "vehicle" icon in the speedometer
dial illuminates. ACC adjusts the BMW driver's speed to maintain the selected
following distance.
? In adjusting vehicle speed, ACC may apply the brakes. It may also apply the brakes
when the driver changes the set speed abruptly. If the brake application causes DSC
or ABS to activate, a specific warning indicator in the dial face illuminates.
? When a vehicle pulls into the BMW driver's lane, ACC recognizes that vehicle only
after it has fully moved into the lane. If the vehicle cuts suddenly into the lane, ACC
may not be able to adjust speed quickly enough, in which case the vehicle icon is
surrounded by a blinking triangular warning signal. ACC does not react to stationary
vehicles or other objects ahead.
? When traffic ahead clears, ACC automatically resumes the previously set cruising
speed.

ACC can also reduce vehicle speed when a curve is entered at too high a speed.
However, the system does not "look ahead" to curves, so any such adjustment occurs
only after the curve is entered. In sharp curves, ACC may react briefly to oncoming
vehicles; the driver can cancel this action by stepping on the accelerator.

Park Distance Control (all models), employing four ultrasonic sensors each in the
front and rear bumpers to warn the driver when the vehicle is approaching obstacles
that may not be visible to the driver.

Xenon Adaptive headlights with dynamic auto-leveling (optional 525i and 530i,
standard 545i). Advances from the previous 5 Series Xenon headlights in two ways:
? Xenon illumination on low and high beams; previously low beams only
? The Adaptive feature, making its second appearance after a debut on '04 3 Series
Coupes and Convertibles. For '04, it is also newly available on the 7 Series, on
which Xenon headlights are standard.

Adaptive Light Control (ALC) literally "aims" at making night driving safer. With the
headlight switch in its Automatic position, as soon as the vehicle is moving forward, the
outboard lights steer with the front wheels, guided by an electronic control system and
swiveled by small servo motors. The system responds not simplistically to the steering
angle, but also to vehicle speed and the "yaw rate," or the rate at which the vehicle's
direction is changing. The driver benefits from enhanced night vision around corners
and curves. If the vehicle is stationary or backing up, the feature is inactive.

A continuing feature is dynamic auto-leveling of the headlights, which corrects the lights'
aim not only for loads carried in the vehicle, but also for transitory acceleration and
braking.

Head-up Display (all models; requires Navigation System; delayed availability).
Displays important information in color on a 6- x 3-in. field in the windshield. A virtual
image is projected from the top of the instrument panel, appearing approximately in line
with the end of the hood in the driver's line of sight so that the driver can observe the
information with essentially no diversion of attention from the road ahead. Via the iDrive
monitor and controller, the driver decides which information is to be displayed here and
the brightness of the display; the display can be switched on and off via an additional
switch in the lighting control panel to the left of the steering column.

Information of the following categories can be displayed:
? Check Control and On-board Computer warnings, prioritized according to their
urgency
? Navigation instructions
? Active Cruise Control programmed speed.

In addition to the basic brightness selection, the display's brightness is also
automatically regulated according to ambient light and moisture conditions via the
sensors that govern the automatic headlight control and rain-sensing wipers. Settings
chosen by the driver are captured by the Key Memory System, and are re-captured
when the individual user unlocks the car.

Dakota leather upholstery is also available as a stand-alone option for 525i and 530i
models not equipped with the Premium Package.

20-way front Comfort seats (all models). Described earlier, these seats incorporate
20-way power adjustment and memory for both driver and passenger. In the 525i and
530i, they require leather upholstery.

4-way power lumbar support (all models) is part of the 525i/530i Premium Package
and is available in 545i models as a stand-alone option.

Split folding rear seats and ski bag (all models). The seats are split 60% left/40%
right, and are released from inside the trunk; the center-positioned ski pass-through and
bag are part of the 60% segment.

Heated rear seats (all models; require Cold Weather Package and leather upholstery).
Available in this Series for the first time; 3-stage/2-zone heating.

BMW On-board Navigation System (all models; delayed availability). Vehicles
equipped with this option get an iDrive version with a larger (8.8-in.) monitor, a controller
incorporating Force Feedback for enhanced tactile feel; and other distinctive features.

Though the Navigation System is the same in principle as the previous Series' system,
it offers a number of updates and enhancements. Newly included is BMW's Voice
Command System, which can be used to control the -
? Available phone system, including phone book
? Address book
? Navigation System
? Short Message System (SMS)
? BMW Assist
? Audio system
? Climate control.

The system can recognize 3000 words, and incorporates a new text-to-speech
engine, which facilitates translating text message into voice form. Graphics and
speech interact: For example, the user might select a radio station via Voice
Command; the monitor would then display this choice.

Sirius? Satellite Radio (all models - delayed introduction). Sirius beams programming
to satellites orbiting the earth; Sirius-equipped vehicles receive the programming.
Except where reception is physically blocked, users can enjoy the same programs
anywhere in the continental U.S. Includes 60 original channels of commercial-free
music of virtually every genre, and 40 sports, news and entertainment channels.
Customer activation is necessary and a monthly fee applies.

Power rear sunshade and manual rear side-window sunshades (all models). This
elegant and useful option continues in evolved form. As before, the rear-window shade
is controlled from a console switch; new are dual-segment side-window shades: one
segment covering the lowerable door windows, the other for the fixed quarter panes.

Maple Anthracite wood trim (all models). Dark Poplar wood interior trim is standard in
545i models, and included in the 525i/530i Premium Package. As a no-extra-cost option
for any 545i and 525i/530i models with the Premium Package, this gray-tone wood is
distinctive and contemporary.

Rear-seat side-impact airbags (all models) are offered as an option so that
customers may make the choice. For the first time in the 5 Series, this option also
includes automatic tensioners on the rear outboard safety belts.

BMW Cellular Phone System (all models). A significant evolution of BMW's phone
offerings occurs as the new 5 Series enters production. It will be possible to equip
vehicles with a cradle that accommodates any Motorola V60c phone, or to acquire a
BMW-specific version of the V60c. Vehicles are appropriately pre-wired at the start of
production; actual phone-system installation is simpler than before.

A Bluetooth interface that accommodates any hand-held cell phone is planned for
March '04 production.

monkeyman2279 08-11-2003 04:39 PM

thank you very much litster.

steven

RichReg 08-12-2003 11:41 AM

:o Litster;
Excellent post!! I see you definitely have your connections. Sad to see that the price for the new 530 that had recently been posted on Bimmerfest and Roadfly did not include destination charge. I noticed that the 545 w/ a manual transmission actually gained weight, so I'm guessing that the optimum weight savings that we all read about initially (140 lbs or so) must be on a stripped down 520i w/Steptronic.

But all-in-all, you can't beat the kind of technological progress that the E60 has made. Too bad its so damn pricey!!!

R.R.