Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

New car delivered with ripple in trunk deck on rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i, Mystic Blue, Premium Package, Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Navigation, Heated Seats, Premium Sound Pkg, Satellite Radio. 2001 325Cic Convertible, Premium and Sport Package, Premium Sound, Steptronic, Heated seats

To all:

Need some serious help on this topic. I went to pay and pick up the car - a new 2007 530i, Mystic Blue, Beige interior, Steptronic, Premium pkg, Premium Sound, Satellite, Steptronic, Heated seats , etc which I ordered. Made last week of Feb - one of the first off the line in the new year. However, when we walked around the car, we noticed on the rear deck lid, just above the BMW emblem, but on the flat surface at the rear edge of the trunk, a "ripple" look to the deck. It's pretty noticeable. After we noticed it, the salesman, mgr, Service mgr all looked at it and agreed it seems to be a factory defect.

They have offered three suggestions for fix - and I believe I have a fourth as I am still holding the check for the car. I can 1) let them try dentless repair (have seen this work on small door dings), 2) fix and repaint the deck, 3)order a new deck (trunk) lid from BMW factory pre-painted in Mystic Blue, or 4) ( my call) order a new car and wait 45-60 days.

Need some advice - I am concerned about matching paint. I don't like the first two options, and I wonder if anyone has ever gotten a large part like this from the factor - does the paint match? I hate to re-order, but I am not in a hurry and feel like if I am buying my baby, I want it perfect the first day?

Feedback, please.....
Old 04-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

Originally Posted by rixbimmer' post='268845' date='Apr 13 2006, 10:42 PM
To all:

Need some serious help on this topic. I went to pay and pick up the car - a new 2007 530i, Mystic Blue, Beige interior, Steptronic, Premium pkg, Premium Sound, Satellite, Steptronic, Heated seats , etc which I ordered. Made last week of Feb - one of the first off the line in the new year. However, when we walked around the car, we noticed on the rear deck lid, just above the BMW emblem, but on the flat surface at the rear edge of the trunk, a "ripple" look to the deck. It's pretty noticeable. After we noticed it, the salesman, mgr, Service mgr all looked at it and agreed it seems to be a factory defect.

They have offered three suggestions for fix - and I believe I have a fourth as I am still holding the check for the car. I can 1) let them try dentless repair (have seen this work on small door dings), 2) fix and repaint the deck, 3)order a new deck (trunk) lid from BMW factory pre-painted in Mystic Blue, or 4) ( my call) order a new car and wait 45-60 days.

Need some advice - I am concerned about matching paint. I don't like the first two options, and I wonder if anyone has ever gotten a large part like this from the factor - does the paint match? I hate to re-order, but I am not in a hurry and feel like if I am buying my baby, I want it perfect the first day?

Feedback, please.....
================================================== ===================

Unless they give you an huge discount, $$$$, (Which I doubt) I would insist on a new BMW, just like when you ordered in good faith, but was not delivered to you in a satisfactory or a BMW perfect condition that all of us BMW owners are used to. (Otherwise we might buy corvettes that's full of fiberglass, problems and compromises instead of BMW Perfect, like BMW says to their Chris Bangle BMW design team: " "Do your best, now do it better!" LOL)

I wish you the best!

Eddie Presley
Old 04-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

Insist on perfection. What ever makes you happy is the correct answer here. As long as you hold the check, your opinion is the only one that counts.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by rixbimmer' post='268845' date='Apr 13 2006, 10:42 PM
To all:

Feedback, please.....
Iwould let them order a factory painted trunk lid with the condition in writing that the paint has to be a perfect match.If it isn't order a new vehicle and suffer the wait time again.Good luck in what ever you do.
cheers
vern
PS It would be nice if you told us where you are from and give us a profile so we could answer your questions better. Again good luck
Old 04-14-2006, 05:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I suspect it can be fixed or replaced and it will never be noticeable. If you go this route I do think it is reasonable to ask for some accessories that you might want "for your trouble." I would think something in the order of $200 value. If you let them repair or replace at least you won't have to do the wait all over again.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

If its only the trunk, get a new lid and et them exchange it.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, Mystic Blue, Premium Package, Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Navigation, Heated Seats, Premium Sound Pkg, Satellite Radio. 2001 325Cic Convertible, Premium and Sport Package, Premium Sound, Steptronic, Heated seats

Updated my profile. Hope this works. Do I have to update my signature to get the ride data in?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

if you can wait and they offer you a new car...why not...
i wouldnt do that...i would ask them for a new trunk and make sure that the colors match.....i couldnt wait any more...
Old 04-14-2006, 05:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

Since you can wait, I would order a new car... you get a newer build (maybe even get the iPod integration built in).

If you were to take it, you will always have this incident in the back of your mind.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

New trunk lid is not more of a problem. I doubt it can be ordered pre-paint from the factory, but I am not sure. Mine was also changed, because of a whole in the trunk lid drilled by the BMW Mobile Service guy, to open my car, which was closed with the engine started.

I discused this with BMW directly and requested a new trunk lid under warranty being a software problem.

I got my new trunk lid under BMW warranty.

Quick Reply: New car delivered with ripple in trunk deck on rear