Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Need service in Houston area... which dealership has best results/cust

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 525i

We need to take our 2006 525i in to be checked out.

When we first got the car, it was great. A month later, it was taken to the dealership who sold it to us so they could complete the deal 100% by doing a few things that were agreed upon. These things were:

fill the holes on the front bumper cover
Give us the 2nd master key for it (we have comfort access btw)
get it inspected
put the plate on the back
wash/wax

So, we got it back the next day (Thurs, 4/9) with the new key (and the original). I drove home with no problems. It should be noted... with the comfort access, we do NOT put the key in the slot. She keeps the key in a side pocket in her purse (so no buttons get pushed).

The next day (Fri, 4/10), my wife went to leave with the new key. She said it wouldn't start and that the "no key" symbol was showing. I went out there and saw what she was talking about. So I inserted the key and it still had the "no key" symbol. However, the car DID start up. I then turned it off and back on, and it started again. I removed the key, and it still started using the comfort access. So I figured ok, something is wrong with the key. I sent her on her way using the old key and we haven't used the new one since.

I also noted that with either key, the mirror "reverse" function on the passenger side wasn't working while in reverse.

A few days later while at work, she gets a call from a coworker who was outside and said her lights were just flashing away. She went outside to check on it and not only were the lights flashing (like the alarm, but no siren), but the doors were unlocked as well. She locked it up and went back inside. She did state that the reverse feature on the passenger mirror was functioning correctly again fwiw.

Saturday 4/18, we went to a party and we parked in the street and walked maybe 30 yards to my friend's open garage to eat crawfish. While hanging out, (about 10 min after arriving), I hear an alarm going off. I realized it was ours and went inside to get the key from my wife's purse. By the time I got outside, the siren had stopped but the lights were still flashing. This is what the car was doing on Thursday, my wife said. The doors were still locked this time. I had to unlock it, open the door, and lock it in order for the lights to stop flashing. I went back inside and we had no issues the rest of the night. FWIW, no one hit the car or drove by it to cause the alarm to go off in the first place.

Monday 4/20, the car did the same thing...
Tuesday 4/21, the car did the same thing...

And this is ALL with the OLD key, not the new one that we had problems with the Saturday before last.

Another issue is that the car is now idling very rough when in drive. The salesman says this is 'normal' for the inline 6 but I tend to think that's BS b/c I can't see BMW putting out such a "luxury" car that idles rougher/louder (inside) than my Volkswagen TDI diesel (not joking here).

Last issue... since it was in for the issues I spoke about above, the a/c smells like CRAP! Seriously, it smells like sewage. It did NOT smell like this when we got the car and before we took it in.

I would prefer to take the car back to the dealer we bought it from but they are 50+ miles away and we have numerous others closer to us. Before I take it in to be checked out and fixed, I'd like to know which dealers in the Houston area have good service and who folks here would recommend. If you have a "favorite" service writer, please let me know who they are.

Thanks for reading my rambling. I was trying to explain our situation as best I could.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Contributors

Well I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time with your car. Here are my experiences with the following dealerships:

BMW North (45N and 1960)
THIS DEALERSHIP IS THE WORST AROUND

Advantage Midtown
Service advisors here can be difficult, and you have to beg and plead for anything to get done. Had a good experience once, but its been hell ever since.

Momentum (Southwest Frwy)
I just heard these guys were bad, so I've never been.

My advice would be to take it to Advantage and see what they'll do. I would schedule to have a ride with the shop foreman so you can try and plead your case to him. They usually will do a much better job of explaining your options, and they can basically tell the advisor what to do.

If you need some help you can call me on my cell at 832-876-4328.

Good Luck,

Anand
Old 04-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by anand_rahim' post='855387' date='Apr 22 2009, 01:31 PM
Well I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time with your car. Here are my experiences with the following dealerships:

BMW North (45N and 1960)
THIS DEALERSHIP IS THE WORST AROUND

Advantage Midtown
Service advisors here can be difficult, and you have to beg and plead for anything to get done. Had a good experience once, but its been hell ever since.

Momentum (Southwest Frwy)
I just heard these guys were bad, so I've never been.

My advice would be to take it to Advantage and see what they'll do. I would schedule to have a ride with the shop foreman so you can try and plead your case to him. They usually will do a much better job of explaining your options, and they can basically tell the advisor what to do.

If you need some help you can call me on my cell at 832-876-4328.

Good Luck,

Anand
Take it to Advantage and ask for Al. He's cool, but you have to insist on what the car is doing wrong.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530 Steptronic, Nav, Std Audio w/ single CD, Premium Pkg, BMW Assist, non-working Bluetooth

I've been really happy with BMW West (Momentum on Katy Fwy west of TX 6). Ask for Jed Newsom
Old 04-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

Which dealer was that?
I have been going to BMW in The Woodlands.