Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 02:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc
Just ordered a 550i, and being in Canada decided against Navigation. Wondering how well it works and if there are any glitches or issues with it. I am going to add HUD to my order and Navigation has me thinking...It's 2900.00 here!! Worth it? Opinions?
Thanks!
Old 11-20-2005, 05:44 AM
JDN
Contributors

It's worth it to me as a safety issue, especially with HUD. NAV lady keeps you in the right lane in strange territority and gives you the confidence to go forth unencumbered by ignorance in strange territority.

BMW NAV has some features lacking that I would like to have, but it also has some neat aspects. If you can swing it, I would recommend NAV with your HUD package. NAV more or less justifies having HUD, IMO.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

Cool. Well I'm on the western prairies of Canada where I won't need it very often but no doubt if I go on a long tour it would be awesome You talked me into it!!
Old 11-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='200937' date='Nov 20 2005, 06:17 AM
Just ordered a 550i, and being in Canada decided against Navigation. Wondering how well it works and if there are any glitches or issues with it. I am going to add HUD to my order and Navigation has me thinking...It's 2900.00 here!! Worth it? Opinions?
Thanks!

Can you order HUD without Nav in Canada? In the US you cannot. In any event, HUD with Nav is fabulous as the Nav instructions are in the HUD.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004/04 production, Titan Silver Metallic, Leder Dakota Upholsery/Grau 60, Sports suspension, Active steering, Dynamic drive, Heated Steering wheel, Emergency wheel, Satin chrome, Glass Roof, Sunblinds front & rear, Healight washer, Int/ext Anti-dazzle mirrors, smokers package, comfort & heated seats, PDC, 18" Wheels 124 w/Dunlop Mixed runflats, Adaptive headlights, Xenon Lights, Active Cruise Control, Blue tooth sony/erricson, Pro Navigation, Head Up Dispay, Voice input system, 6 Cd changer, HIFI Professional. M-Sport Tec Kit & spoiler conversion, Cip 18.1

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='200937' date='Nov 20 2005, 05:17 AM
Thanks!
Get Nav and Heads up! This summer I drove nearly 7000 miles, back roads, from Florida to Idaho and return traveling every curved road I could find. I even discovered one of the 3 toll bridges in Nebraska ... of all places and it was privately owned/operated! It was great having the nav map display zooming in and out watching for pending curves plus the heads up giving me the speeds etc. The tires talked back to me to the point my wife made me slow down. <_< What a pleasure to drive such a distance with no traffic concerns. The best part though is using the nav to take you back to the hotel after an enjoyable evening in a strange city. Never had to look at a map! I even enjoyed finding some malls for my wife to shop then letting the gps take us back to that hotel ... where ever it was. Now all we need is an integrated radar detector to display on the heads up!
Old 11-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Question

Definitely worth it for the cool factor (larger screen, split dual maps one for you and the ladyfriend).

Add HUD for the jet fighter "Firefox" cockpit look.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the comments folks! I added HUD and NAV to the order today! Sounds WAY too cool. BTW yes you can order HUD as a stand alone in Canada. But I figure why bother if no NAV there...Approaching 95,000.00 though! Yikes
Old 11-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

i'd get te hud but pass on the nav. use 700 of the 1800 you'd save and buy a garmin street pilot of it equal. they are much better than the bmw nav.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Red
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i, US Spec, Premium, Nav, HUD, Comfort seats, CWP, Sport package, Rear side airbags. Produced Sep 06.

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='200937' date='Nov 20 2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks!
HUD + NAvi is a great combo. Wouldn't leave home with out it, but be advised BMW NAvi is not a capable as other strap on systems like Garmin. Still, would get both for features, safety and most of all resale.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Senior Members

hmmm
NAV is 2900.00 in Canada. If I get the garmin street pilot does it mount on othe dash somehow or is it a handheld thing? Forgive me I have not seen one. And obviously it won't show up in the HUD? Is it worth it to have the NAV in the HUD? I'm really confused about this now and would like some votes or guidance...

Quick Reply: Navigation