Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

My order for a 520d SE + options - your comments please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 07:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone - its my first post!

I have just ordered the following car and options (my first BMW), to be paid for with my own hard earned dosh. I have included my thoughts influencing my decision for the specifics of the order. My opinions are not intended to offend anyone, indeed, I would welcome your comments and constructive criticism as I still have a few days to change the options if I choose.

520D - The first 5 series I can realistically afford, OK performance, more car for your money than the 3 series, more distinctive looks and a better discount.

SE - only ?280 more for 17's and PDC, better resale(?) than base model, can't justify another ?3000 on a meaner looking sport.

Monaco blue - I like the greys and the black but I wanted to be a bit different, looks change with the light.

Black Dakota - I couldn't buy an exec. car and have cloth seats, better resale(?), not sure about the Fusion (hot and sticky?), Black should be easier to keep clean (kids!) than the obvious beige or grey (espescially as its not jet black).

Brushed aluminium trim - brightens up and provides a sporty contrast to an otherwise dark car, better quality feel than the plastic, a little 'younger' looking than wood (although I am 36!).

Styling 116 star spoke wheels - a cheap alternative to the relatively common 138's (although harder to clean), 18's look great but I'm concerned about loosing ride quality (espescially with run flats) and reports of tramlining, 18's are another ?700 for a cosmetic change only.

6 disc changer - no MP3, used to 6 disc in my current A4.

Visibility pack - various forum opinions say its a must, cooler looks, xenons and adaptives are safer, great 'boys toy'!

High beam assistant - cheap addition to Visibilty pack, another boys toy.

Advanced air con - used to dual on my A4, more i drive features (climate and high OBC), wanted arm rest, better knobs.

Front seat heating - feels lovely in a friends car.

Extended lights package - looks classy at night, similar on my A4, fairly cheap.

Graduated tinted windscreen - used to it on my A4 (don't know if I'd miss it), cheap option.

3 years service (no maintenance) - After chatting with a couple of service managers, based on 12000 miles of 'average driving' per year it should break even at full ?400 cost but I am getting over 10% discount so I should just save some money, no unexpected bills for 3 years.

Floor mats - at ?100 they had better be good but why spoil a great car (I hope!) with cheap Halfords ones!

Being cost conscious and having all the above options may seem a contradiction, but I'm getting a great discount (saving ?3300 - over 10%!) and part of owning my first BMW should be the enjoyment of some of the classy touches and boys toys.

Thanks for ploughing through this! Your comments on my above choices would be greatly appreciated (I don't want to make any mistakes with my own cash!). I'm particularly interested in your opinions of wheel choice (size and style). Is it worth me ordering the space saver wheel (?67) so I can go to none run flats in the future or do the safety benefits outway the ride quality difference on 17's? How would you convince me to spent another ?700 on 18's espescially with the ride quality issues?

Fire away please!!!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:03 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by brommy' post='260223' date='Mar 26 2006, 05:52 PM
SE - only ?280 more for 17's and PDC, better resale(?) than base model, can't justify another ?3000 on a meaner looking sport.

Black Dakota - I couldn't buy an exec. car and have cloth seats, better resale(?), not sure about the Fusion (hot and sticky?), Black should be easier to keep clean (kids!) than the obvious beige or grey (espescially as its not jet black).

Brushed aluminium trim - brightens up and provides a sporty contrast to an otherwise dark car, better quality feel than the plastic, a little 'younger' looking than wood (although I am 36!).

Styling 116 star spoke wheels - a cheap alternative to the relatively common 138's (although harder to clean), 18's look great but I'm concerned about loosing ride quality (espescially with run flats) and reports of tramlining, 18's are another ?700 for a cosmetic change only.

6 disc changer - no MP3, used to 6 disc in my current A4.

Visibility pack - various forum opinions say its a must, cooler looks, xenons and adaptives are safer, great 'boys toy'!

High beam assistant - cheap addition to Visibilty pack, another boys toy.

Advanced air con - used to dual on my A4, more i drive features (climate and high OBC), wanted arm rest, better knobs.

Front seat heating - feels lovely in a friends car.

Extended lights package - looks classy at night, similar on my A4, fairly cheap.

Graduated tinted windscreen - used to it on my A4 (don't know if I'd miss it), cheap option.

3 years service (no maintenance) - After chatting with a couple of service managers, based on 12000 miles of 'average driving' per year it should break even at full ?400 cost but I am getting over 10% discount so I should just save some money, no unexpected bills for 3 years.

Floor mats - at ?100 they had better be good but why spoil a great car (I hope!) with cheap Halfords ones!

Being cost conscious and having all the above options may seem a contradiction, but I'm getting a great discount (saving ?3300 - over 10%!) and part of owning my first BMW should be the enjoyment of some of the classy touches and boys toys.
Good choices, Yes to PDC, it will repay you in reduced parking scrapes, as well as safety. ( Kids running behind car when reversing)

Get the spacesaver, it will cost you double as an aftermarket and gives you both choice and increased 'flat tyre' mobility. even RFT's are no good with a sliced sidewall

17 inch wheels are good, 18's are an expensive luxury, leather is a must for resale and it is easy to keep clean.

Sports suspension might have been an option, get the ride of the M sport without the dosh for the body kit.

Visibility pack and high beam assist are musts, CD changer and Advanced aircon also good options. Not sue about the extended lights if you are pushed for cash, but hey, it's your car. Likewise ethe grad tint screen.

You will get MP3 capability on the CD in the dash.

IMO your choices are sensible and you are getting the most from your ??'s well done
Old 03-26-2006, 08:08 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

I think you should add Shadow Line, it will look great on your dark car.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ipp' post='260229' date='Mar 26 2006, 06:08 PM
I think you should add Shadow Line, it will look great on your dark car.
I'm not familiar with 'Shadow Line'. What is this?
Old 03-26-2006, 08:46 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by brommy' post='260233' date='Mar 26 2006, 07:28 PM
I'm not familiar with 'Shadow Line'. What is this?
Tne trim around the windows is black instead of chrome.

Shadowline

Regular
Old 03-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KAF' post='260227' date='Mar 26 2006, 05:03 PM
Good choices, Yes to PDC, it will repay you in reduced parking scrapes, as well as safety. ( Kids running behind car when reversing)

Get the spacesaver, it will cost you double as an aftermarket and gives you both choice and increased 'flat tyre' mobility. even RFT's are no good with a sliced sidewall

17 inch wheels are good, 18's are an expensive luxury, leather is a must for resale and it is easy to keep clean.

Sports suspension might have been an option, get the ride of the M sport without the dosh for the body kit.

Visibility pack and high beam assist are musts, CD changer and Advanced aircon also good options. Not sue about the extended lights if you are pushed for cash, but hey, it's your car. Likewise ethe grad tint screen.

You will get MP3 capability on the CD in the dash.

IMO your choices are sensible and you are getting the most from your ??'s well done
PDC for sure! I'd recommend the space-saver too, very 'cheap' option - at worst you can sell it on eBay for ?100! I also recommend ditching the run-flats in the long run too.......

Sports suspension is recommended too - not too crashy, the standard suspension seemed too jelly-like! Actually I'd prefer even harder but it's a good compromise between handling and ride...

The service inclusive is a must too! I must admit I'd go for the same option as you if I was purchasing now... I've got the 5 years fully inclusive (everything except tyres) but it was a snip at ?750 when I purchased!!!

The floor-mats are good quality, but worth ?100? Usually a good bargaining chip with the dealer to save ?100
Old 03-26-2006, 09:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

Leather and metallic a must, though the Dakota despite being pretty expensive could be nicer imho. If you have darker paint, don't even think about going to a car wash, or even letting the dealer valet the car - the clearcoat marks up like a bugger just looking at it. I have a Touring, so I'd also say PDC is absolutely vital.

You don't say whether you are getting Steptronic, some would argue autobox is a must on any E60/E61 (for resale), but I'd suggest it is only mandatory on 3 litre engines and above. Unless you drive in town all the time.

Finally, given you are prepared to put numerous extras on the car, have you not thought instead about going up to the 525d? The six cylinder engine is way, way smoother than the 4-pot. You'll have to take a more basic spec though.

Service inclusive now ?1K btw... unless you do mega mileage, no longer worth it.

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Go for the visibility pack if you often drive in the dark - if you're a day driver or a city driver, you can do without.

I would not pay loads for a non mp3 6disc - just buy an ipod nano (1/2 of the price) and link it to the aux in the glove compartment which is std now. In fact they should rename the glove compartment to the ipod compartment since no-one puts gloves in there nowadays. There are ipod remote controls for sale that allow you to navigate. Add another 50 quit. Any mp3 player would do really and it save the mess of CDs in our car.

If you like a sporty drive, go for the sports suspension, not the same as the M version, but still excellent value for money.

You have kids, go for the easy maintenance leather and drop the extended light package, but don't drop the PDC. Also the green band in the front windscreen is a must in winterdays with sun hanging low above the ground
Old 03-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

Good choices brommy

If you like to listen to music - consider the HiFi louspeaker system. Its way better than the standard speakers.

If you often travel with kids in the back consider the pull-out side blinds.

As mentioned in other replies already - me too would go for ipod and save the money on the CD changer.

18'' RFT even with 'normal' suspension are not great - guess if you are happy with the looks of the 17'' your money buys you a more comfortable ride.

Good discount in my opinion.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Members

wow good discount!!!
i dont think i've got a good deal at all now.
probably geting about 5% off.
bit late to haggle when i pick her up next saturday!
oh and mate i'd def go for the hifi loudspeaker option. 370 but meant to be Alot better than the apparantly naff speakers. but i guess you may need to hear the diff to be convinced. but the options are endless!!! & hard to choose

Quick Reply: My order for a 520d SE + options - your comments please.