Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

My First experince with the service departmet

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i - Monaco Blue with Auburn Interior. Sport, auto. Ordered 10-30-06

I just thought I'd share my first experience today with the service department. I came through there this afternoon. My wife and I are adopting a child, and the adoption agency requires that I have a mechanic sign a form that says my car is "OK and in good working order". Being that I needed that form signed off, and had my new plates that needed mounting I thought I'd swing by. I had another motive as well, my wife is looking for a new car and I wanted to check out the 335.

I waited 20 minutes watching this form be passed around. It caused a lot of head scratching. Someone eventually introduced herself as the service manger, asked me to have a seat and d to explain to me that a work order would need to be created so that tire and engine measurements could be taken. And of course a fee. Before we got into how much I would be charged for this, I explained that I didn't think we needed to get into a big thing here. I pointed out that this is a sixty five thousand dollar car that's less than a month old and has nine hundred miles on it. I thought it was a pretty safe bet that the car is in "good working order". This logic had no effect, so I left took my car down to the Midas where they signed the form in five minutes and I was on my way.

Any body else feel like these dealers succeed in spite of themselves? I mean, the car is great, but every time I deal with the people at the dealership it's a total fiasco. It was harder buying it than it had to be, now this. Not to mention the "give me all fives on the survey" business.

Based on my experience working with the Lexus people was a lot easier than this. BMW makes a much better car, but the dealers leave something to be desired.

Could just be my place though.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you know, US is land of lawyers. This issue comes down to liability issue. Dealer does not want to be liable or just finds excuses not to sign the form. This is what I call sucky dealer service :thumbsdown:
I agree that BMW service is not even closed to Lexus', but because we love BMW so much, we have to pay for the price. BMW does care about dealers' service, but dealer itself just sucks.
I was very glad that BMW NA cares very much about SA serve you, and a couple of SA was yanked from SCBMW due to less than "3" score on the BMW NA score card.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Just covering her arse
Old 01-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by lllwlf' post='377831' date='Jan 13 2007, 06:38 PM
I just thought I'd share my first experience today with the service department. I came through there this afternoon. My wife and I are adopting a child, and the adoption agency requires that I have a mechanic sign a form that says my car is "OK and in good working order". Being that I needed that form signed off, and had my new plates that needed mounting I thought I'd swing by. I had another motive as well, my wife is looking for a new car and I wanted to check out the 335.

I waited 20 minutes watching this form be passed around. It caused a lot of head scratching. Someone eventually introduced herself as the service manger, asked me to have a seat and d to explain to me that a work order would need to be created so that tire and engine measurements could be taken. And of course a fee. Before we got into how much I would be charged for this, I explained that I didn't think we needed to get into a big thing here. I pointed out that this is a sixty five thousand dollar car that's less than a month old and has nine hundred miles on it. I thought it was a pretty safe bet that the car is in "good working order". This logic had no effect, so I left took my car down to the Midas where they signed the form in five minutes and I was on my way.
Any body else feel like these dealers succeed in spite of themselves? I mean, the car is great, but every time I deal with the people at the dealership it's a total fiasco. It was harder buying it than it had to be, now this. Not to mention the "give me all fives on the survey" business.

Based on my experience working with the Lexus people was a lot easier than this. BMW makes a much better car, but the dealers leave something to be desired.

Could just be my place though.
Here we go again, people,you included,complain and whine about how bad there dealer is or what the dealer will not do for them but they never mention the dealer by name.
cheers
vern
Old 01-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I have not experienced a Lexus dealership but I have no such issue with my dealership BOB SMITH BMW in Calabassas, neither the service or the sales dept. I would rather see $0 on my maintenance bill than sit in a fur lined waiting room with free coffee.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I have never had a problem with my service department. Desimone BMW Marlton NJ
Old 01-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by lllwlf' post='377831' date='Jan 13 2007, 11:38 PM
The only way this will ever get better is if we give some feedback... I recommend you contact BMW and the Manager of the service department and let them know about your specific experience and how it made you feel about the brand.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

i too never had an experience with a lexus dealership but i never had even a little problem with my bmw dealership.. mckenna motors in norwalk.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Yeah....I don't think this is "BMW" problem......more of a dealership problem, on a case by case basis.......I doubt any dealership would be perfect in the buyer's eyes, but I know that I am completely satisfied with my service department at Coast BMW in San Luis Obispo. I can see how a dealership would have reservations about signing any forms for liability reasons.....but I agree that it's frustrating to have a brand new car, purchased at that same dealership, and they won't help you out.......too bad you can't warranty work done at Midas, huh? lol
Old 01-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='378115' date='Jan 14 2007, 10:46 AM
Yeah....I don't think this is "BMW" problem......more of a dealership problem, on a case by case basis.......I doubt any dealership would be perfect in the buyer's eyes, but I know that I am completely satisfied with my service department at Coast BMW in San Luis Obispo. I can see how a dealership would have reservations about signing any forms for liability reasons.....but I agree that it's frustrating to have a brand new car, purchased at that same dealership, and they won't help you out.......too bad you can't warranty work done at Midas, huh? lol
Based on the reason why the original poster needed the form signed, and on the basis that the car had been purchased from that dealer one month earlier, it's more than frustrating, it's little short of pretty disgraceful customer service. If the OP were so inclined it's the kind of thing that would interest most local TV station's new desks.

lllwlf - best wishes and best of luck with the adoption

Quick Reply: My First experince with the service departmet