Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

My First Experience with BMW

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

I am new to BMW with my recent purchase of my CPO 2006 BMW 530I with 32000 miles on it. The car is sweet, but I have to question the CPO process, as my car is in the shop just a couple days after purchasing the car with these issues:

Bad sunroof
Breaks make a god awful squeal
Damaged rim (this was actually something they said they should have fixed before selling it)

The sales rep at Fields BMW gave me a 328I loaner that just doesnt come close to the 530, and it is filthy.

I hope that my experience improves. Has anyone else had this experience with Certified Pre owned?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by 530icasselberry' post='544435' date='Mar 13 2008, 05:02 PM
Hello All,

I am new to BMW with my recent purchase of my CPO 2006 BMW 530I with 32000 miles on it. The car is sweet, but I have to question the CPO process, as my car is in the shop just a couple days after purchasing the car with these issues:

Bad sunroof
Breaks make a god awful squeal
Damaged rim (this was actually something they said they should have fixed before selling it)

The sales rep at Fields BMW gave me a 328I loaner that just doesnt come close to the 530, and it is filthy.

I hope that my experience improves. Has anyone else had this experience with Certified Pre owned?
Seems like at least 2 of the 3 issues you are having would have been apparent in a 5 minute test drive and walk around the vehicle before you bought it. However I think the BMW CPO process is quite good especially considering they are financially responsible for any problems that show up post-sale. It's not like they are saving money by looking over problems during the CPO process.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

I agree that CPO implies a certain level of dealer reconditioning and testing. The BMW brand also conveys an element of quality that should provide you with peace of mind. That being said, there is a certain level of responsibility on your part as the buyer of a used car to test features and functions. If the dealer agreed to fix a rim and you took ownership without validating that the work was done then you are not accepting your responsibilities.

That being said, the dealer sounds like they are making the necessary reconditioning repairs and providing you with temporary transportation. I also get a lesser car when my car is in the shop. It is not reasonable for the dealer to have $70K +/- loaner cars standing by for temporary use. I once got a great 335 for a loaner and enjoyed the car for the day.

Perhaps I should be more sympathetic. I hope things get sorted out quickly. Enjoy the ride!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Members

I didnt hear the brake issues during the test drive, because I didnt drive with the windows down. I opened and closed the moon roof while driving so it operated normal. It only doesnt close when the car is going under 5mph. The rim wasnt a big issue, more of a surprise to me that they wouldnt fix it before putting it on the lot. The lesser car is to be expected, but I would expect it to be clean. Dont get me wrong, I love the car, just hate to be without it so early.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530icasselberry' post='544478' date='Mar 13 2008, 07:58 PM
I didnt hear the brake issues during the test drive, because I didnt drive with the windows down. I opened and closed the moon roof while driving so it operated normal. It only doesnt close when the car is going under 5mph. The rim wasnt a big issue, more of a surprise to me that they wouldnt fix it before putting it on the lot. The lesser car is to be expected, but I would expect it to be clean. Dont get me wrong, I love the car, just hate to be without it so early.
The CPO inspection process should have identified and noted any irregularities in trim, paint, wheels, etc. And certain wear items like tires have to have a specific minimum wear or they are to be replaced. (e.g. tire tread < 50%). Many of the other items will be covered under the BMW Maintenance contract as part of the 4 yr / 50K mile warranty and then the additional 2 year / 100K mi CPO plan.

I also agree - the obvious items should have been fixed BEFORE this car went on the lot. I wonder if they were betting on someone not picking up on the damaged wheel until it was too late so they would pass the blame to you.

Good luck with your new to you BMW!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Members

I dont think it was anything like them trying to get away with something, It was just sloppy inspection and delivery. That shows through with how filthy the loaner car was. They are fixing everything, and the sales guy has been great and apologetic
Old 03-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Maybe it's just that dealership, I'm sure we have heard of different experiences at different ones being both good and bad in terms of sales and service departments. That being said it does it is still important for both parties, especially the buyer to thoroughly check out the vehicle, we live in a consumer driven society and the saying is always "buyer beware". Sounds like you took an okay look at your e60 prior to signing and driving. Hope the rest of your ownership goes better. I was without my new e60 for 1 week about 3 weeks of ownership due to rattling noises. At least you got another BMW, the dealership put me in a Nissan sentra (I went from 535i to a 4 banger sentra for 4 days: OUCH)(Rattling still there, just less apparent, still awaiting a call from my SA). So I do feel your pain. Congrats on your new car and welcome to the forums also.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:52 AM
Members

I had/have same issue with my CPO

maybe I was too excited at the moment when I bought the car, I didn't pay attention to small(or big) details

within a month, I noticed
1. scratched rim
2. sunroof rattling
3. brake noise
4. rubber trim
5. SMG didn't properly shift
6. idrive screen
7. several other issues even paint imperfection

328 is a luxury.....I got sentra that had warning light on...which I was told it is normal (how can it be a normal if a car has warning light on?)......anyways...I had fun driving sentra for one day...

dealer didn't repair everything..I literally wrote down lists of things need to be repaired and handed it to them.....but I am just lazy to go to the dealer again for another sentra experience...

but one thing for sure is that warranty gives me piece of mind
Old 03-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

My CPO 2005 545i had a few bugs when I picked it up too, just be insistent, and MAKE them fix everything! For all your trouble and patience (remind them of this too!), ask them to throw in a complete detail etc. It never hurts to try! Anyway, congrats on the new car and enjoy the forum!!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Members

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback, it makes me feel better that I am not alone. I did get the car back with most everything fixed, and its going back in to address the squeaking brakes again, and to finish the paint work on the hood. I love this car though, and do not regret buying it at all.

Quick Reply: My First Experience with BMW