Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Munich and Dingolfing Plant tour info (ED)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

If you are in Munich ? especially when receiving a car from the factory via European Delivery ? here are some great tours to take, plus a lodging recommendation (from my recent experience as a visitor, and previous resident). I?m sure that you?ll enjoy either one of the tours. If you have a 5/6/7 series, I suspect that you?d appreciate the tour of that car?s production in Dingolfing, if you have the time. I found it well worth the trip! Excellent tour!

Attached are descriptions of the Munich and Dingolfing tour:

Munich tour
Short, around 1.5 hours (as I recall from many years ago), covering 3-series production, in English (need to book ahead) and German. Large groups, due to this tour being listed on the BMW web site, with its own reservation agent available by phone.

Contact information:
http://www.bmw-plant-munich.com/muenchen/h...ksfuehrung.html
Welcome to BMW
Thank you for your interest in our Plant.
Most guided tours are from Monday - Friday in English and German. Groups of up to 30 visitors are requested to register for a guided tour in writing under the following address:
BMW AG
Dept TM-K
D-80788 M?nchen
Germany
E-mail: produktionsmeile@bmw.de
Fax: +49 (0) 89-3 82-2 58 78
We will be happy to accept registrations from individual guests and groups of up to five persons. Just call +49 (0) 89-382-23 306 for information on tour dates and times.
On account of great public interest, you are advised to book a date for your tour in good time.

Dingolfing tour
Long (4 hours, plus possible option of lunch), covering 5, 6, and 7 series production, in English or German (plan ahead with tour leader). Smaller groups, owing to Dingolfing?s location 100 km NE of Munich, accessible by car (just off the Autobahn) or train.

An overview of 5 series production is available on the Dingolfing web site (Flash, audio and slides: go to the plant main page at http://www.bmw-plant-dingolfing.com/ and select both (a) ?A Vurtual Tour of the Plant? on the left-hand side, and then the 5-series specific, ?A Dream Becomes Reailty? icon on the right-hand side of the main page), which gives a good overview of what you?d see on the Dingolfing tour. It?s nice, but nothing compared to the real tour, believe me. Do not watch this and think that you?ve seen all that there is to see, as the guided tour is terrific and amazing to see the vast scope of the facilities and production in process, ask Qs, get hands-on, watch laser welding and construction, see the workers in various stages of assembly, etc., etc.

Contact information:
http://www.bmw-plant-dingolfing.com/dingol...ex_kontakt.html
Contact
We will be glad to help you.
Do you have any more questions or remarks regarding the BMW Dingolfing Plant and would you like to contact the Plant?
In that case please write to the following postal address:
BMW AG
Abt. TD-K
Postfach 1120
D-84122 Dingolfing
Germany
Klaus-Henning Hoffmann ++49/ 87 31 / 76 - 27 59 7
Alexander Bachner ++49/ 87 31 / 76 - 21 63 3
Or just contact us by e-mail whenever you like

The web page has the ability to direct e-mail messages to the contact staff listed, but it did not appear to be working when I used it in mid- 2004, so here is the direct email address: Alexander.Bachner@bmw.de

Recommended Lodging in Munich
I can?t recommend the following location enough, as the serenity and charm of this Bed & Breakfast really was a high point of our stay in Muenchen: Gaestehaus Englischer Garten (www.hotelenglischergarten.de). They are ideally located: adjacent to the beautiful and peaceful Englischer Garten, just North of the main part of town, but in a fun area (Schwabing, just North from the University district), only a few U-bahn (subway) stops from the Freimann Delivery Center (for Euro Delivery). The B&B has part of the Isar river running thru the old mill house, and is adjacent to the forest and walking paths into the park itself (with a lake nearby, Biergarten adjacent to the lake, bike and boat rental, etc.). Fr. Zankl, the owner, is a BMW fan (owns a silver E46 M3 convertible). They have secure, underground parking. Their staff is very friendly ? especially Sonja, who delivers great smiles and cheer along with a sumptuous breakfast each morning in their lovely backyard patio, next to the river and forest (please say ?Hi? to Sonia ?from the Duncans? if you stay there.). Our room had views of the park, a river running under the window, and quiet through the evening and night. The hotel has many positive reviews in travel guides, which is what led me to this location (Fodor?s and Frommer?s reviews, as I recall). You can see pictures and more at their web site. You know how much you want a place to rest and quietly relax when you arrive from a long trip ? this is the place!

This location is also well known and appreciated by others in the area. The staff at the Freimann Delivery Center recognized the address that was traveling to and noted that it was the finest Gaestehaus in Munich (as we were entering the address in the Prof Nav system to get me there).

There is a nice, open-air restaurant across the street, also adjacent to the Englischer Garten ? try the Kaiserschmarrn (?King?s Madness?) for a sweet treat: a local specialty of sweet pancake with baked-in berries and fresh apple mousse, server fresh from the pan. Yum! We ate their on occasion, as did a large, congenial, local crowd.

Enjoy!

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Munich and Dingolfing Plant tour info (ED)-munich___gaestehaus_englischer_garten___small.jpg  
Old 09-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the info. I just sent an email to the Dingolfing address for the plant tour. If I don't get an answer I will use the direct email address that you provided.

Thanks Again,
Old 09-06-2004, 01:00 AM
stu
Members

Good info - thanks rduncan.
Glad to see it's reopened .
I made my way to the BMW museum (adhacent to the manufacturing plant) in Munich a couple of months ago - and found it to be closed for refurbishment.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Just got a reply from Alexander in Dingolfing plant for a tour of the plant.
He says it would be approx. 2 hours.
Sounds interesting...he has suggested the following dates ( seems like every Friday)
Oct 01, 04
Oct 15, 04
Oct 29, 04
Nov 12, 04
Nov 26, 04
Dec 03, 04
Dec 10, 04

I might go on the 10th of Dec.
Germawings flies from Cologne ( 1 hour away ) to Munich on that day for 70 euros return. Might make it a day trip or overnighter...cool

Thanks to rduncan for the info !!
Old 09-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Contributors

The BMW Museum has been reopened at the Olympic Park while the original location (and the BMW HQ) and refurbished. Please look here
http://www.germancarfans.com/classics.cfm/....001/bmw/1.html
or at bmw-welt.com for more info. I did not catch it when I was there in August, having already sen the BMW Museum in its original location a while back.

Robert