5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/)
-   -   looking at 5 series, TONS of questions (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/looking-5-series-tons-questions-2664/)

vp911 08-28-2004 10:25 AM

Well, I am looking at the 525i. It is already stretching my budget looking at the 5 series.

Does anybody have pictures and a review of the nav system? I have heard it is terrible... but I am also coming from Acura's and they have one of the best I have ever seen.

I am not a fan of all the orange lighting, behing the guages and everywhere else, is it possible to change it to blue like in the acura tl?

My dealer told me that it is not possible to add XM radio to the 5 series with navi... is that true? Any way to do it at all?

Same goes with bluetooth, I was told bluetooth can't be added to the navi version of the 5 series.

There is no cd changer in dash? I had almost assumed that all high end cars had it built in... lol

One thing I would miss from my Infiniti FX would be the keyless start and go... "intelligent key"

I was also told that teh SMG you can put it in automatic and not have to shift... but if you wanted to you could use the shifters and go clutchless manual? I never got good at driving a manual car with the clutch, and im not exactly sure I would even want to get the SMG and take the risk of destroying such a fine vehicle, but having the option would be awesome.

I am also not a big fan of the guages, I love the display in the acura tl, the cockpit style guages... too bad it isnt like that in the bmw, although the bmw is ALL about the performance :-D

How is the speed on the 525? They would only let me drive it on a 2 mile route before saying no more.

Ahh what a sexy car.

Let me know what everybody thinks. I am currently fighting under the lemon law for the infiniti fx, and if I win I will either get the 2005 Acura TL with A-spec, or the 5 series. Suggestions please.

My only other concern is the snow, i live in michigan and what I understand is that RWD sucks in snow... hmm :-\

beemerjim 08-28-2004 10:49 AM

I can answer some of your questions. I own an E60 525i and love the car. It's plenty fast for my style of driving. I don't know your style of driving, though.

I don't have the Navigation System but I do have Sirius Satellite Radio, which I love and would choose over the Navigation System in a heartbeat. BMW uses Sirius, not XM, for satellite radio. As recently as last week, my BMW dealer told me that currently Sirius Satellite Radio cannot be installed with the Navigation System. The software for the two options conflicts. BMW is working on a fix, but right now it's either one or the other, not both.

I don't know about Bluetooth, but the same may apply. My guess is that ultimately it will be possible to get a BMW with all three. I understand that different vendors supply each system and getting them not to conflict with one another must be a real headache, especially since they have to be integrated with iDrive.

With the optional Premium Sound System, the CD changer is located in the glove compartment.

I know of no way to change the illumination of the gauges from orange. For the 2004 model year SMG was not available on the 525i. I don't know whether that will change for the '05s.

BMWs are not noted for good performance in snow conditions, and AWD is not offered on the 5 Series.

I hate to say it, but it sounds to me as if you might be happier with the Acura TL, especially if it has AWD.

vp911 08-28-2004 10:57 AM

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I would get the SMG anyways, it would only give my friends more reasons to harrass me to drive a car I would not want to let anybody drive.

As far as my driving style, I love to speed, im very young, 19 years old. I might as well add this now as I get battered on other forums for my age looking at a car like this or my 2004 Acura TSX or 2004 Infiniti FX35, I pay for my cars 100% my own. My parents would laugh if I asked them to spend a dime on my car, my tuition is another story, they are willing to pay my tuition hence I can afford the car. So knowing how most 19 year olds drive, you can get an idea for my driving habits. This was another reason to get the TL, if I get the TL i can pay for it cash, if I buy the 5 series, I will be forced to finance about 15 thousand - something I did not want to do, but I will if needed.

The TL does not have AWD, it is FWD, and it will have AWD in 2006, but my goal is to resolve the issue with infiniti sooner rather than later, hence the research for a new car now.

Do you know when the 2005 5 series will be released?

I assume that with changing the tires from the all season to winters it will be sufficient enough. Besides, I live in the suberbs of detroit, so the snow is usually cleared out pretty quickly, there is probably 7-10 days a year when I have to deal with the snow so I think I can live without AWD or FWD for those few days.

Iceman 08-28-2004 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Does anybody have pictures and a review of the nav system? I have heard it is terrible... but I am also coming from Acura's and they have one of the best I have ever seen.
The nav system works very good. A couple things will be added with software upgrades in the near future. It might not be the best on the market, but one of 'em!

I am not a fan of all the orange lighting, behing the guages and everywhere else, is it possible to change it to blue like in the acura tl?
AFAIK: No.

I was told bluetooth can't be added to the navi version of the 5 series.
On MY2005 BT will be available with nav.

There is no cd changer in dash? I had almost assumed that all high end cars had it built in... lol
No. Not all high-end cars have that!
On the E60 it's an option and is located in the glove compartement.

One thing I would miss from my Infiniti FX would be the keyless start and go... "intelligent key"
That is not available on 5 and 6 series. Only available on 7 series, and will be available on 1 and 3 series.

I was also told that teh SMG you can put it in automatic and not have to shift... but if you wanted to you could use the shifters and go clutchless manual? I never got good at driving a manual car with the clutch, and im not exactly sure I would even want to get the SMG and take the risk of destroying such a fine vehicle, but having the option would be awesome.
In your case I would say go with the automatic transmission.
You can use it in DS (sport mode, redlines it) or even manual (steptronic).

I am also not a big fan of the guages, I love the display in the acura tl, the cockpit style guages... too bad it isnt like that in the bmw, although the bmw is ALL about the performance :-D
The gauges look waaay more professional to me. Other displays look CHEAP, IMHO!

How is the speed on the 525? They would only let me drive it on a 2 mile route before saying no more.
Top speed is 145mph. 7.9s (8.7s auto tranny) 0-60.

Attached the datasheet in German language.

Evenflow545 08-28-2004 11:21 AM

If you're 19, take the Acura over the 525.

Iceman 08-28-2004 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Evenflow545' date='Aug 28 2004, 09:21 PM
If you're 19, take the Acura over the 525.

I was tempted to tell him the same.

vp911, there is a reason it's called "the ultimate driving machine". ;)

Iceman 08-28-2004 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by vp911' date='Aug 28 2004, 08:25 PM
My only other concern is the snow, i live in michigan and what I understand is that RWD sucks in snow... hmm :-\

If you know how to drive you have no problems and feel waaay more comfortable with a RWD!

I can drive up a hill in the Alps whith solid ice on the road on summer tires without loosing control. It's all about the driver.

RWD is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than FWD !!!

wolverine 08-28-2004 11:31 AM

I would say the same - if you're 19, you'll probably appreciate the Acura more. The BMW is probably the most refined performance car you can buy, and you pay for it. I just don't know if you'd appreciate paying for that refinement over the cost of the Acura.

CRRobert 08-28-2004 11:32 AM

Depending upon the timing, you may be able to get into the new Acura RL. Should have all the things you like about the TL, and will have the SHAWD. I don't know when the new one comes out though.

As far as the handling in the snow, from what I have read, with the great weight distribution and good set of snow tires, 5er should be good in the snow.

Evenflow545 08-28-2004 11:33 AM

Or, alternatively, before you buy the rice burner, get a slightly used 330i. Then, you can work your way up to the 5-series, and have a damn fun time doing it.