Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Loaner cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just tired to make an appointment to have my vehicle inspected for some issues I am having with brakes and crosswind feeling at highway speeds. I am informed that loaner cars are only given to people who purchased the vehicle at the specific dealership. What kind of BS is that? Has anyone else encountered this? My car was bought CPO and is still under the 50k mnaufacturer warranty...shouldn't loaner cars be part of that? Heck even my VW GTI went in for a warrantied repair the other day and I was given a free loaner. BMW westchester is the dealer I am dealing with specifically.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Unfortunately, this is quite common with BMW dealerships all over the US. There are a few that won't care where you bought your car and offer a free loaner. I'm not familiar with the NY area so maybe someone nearby will chime in and tell you of a dealership that will give out free loaners.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

When I moved back from San Francisco to NY, I brought my E39 into Habberstad (Long Island). They gave me a loaner, but would not give me a BMW. They gave me some junky hyundai from a local rental place nearby. The only way to get an actual loaner is to take it to the place you bought it from.

Welcome to owning a luxury car and a BMW!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

Why don't you just go to the place where you bought the car?

You know how sometimes your local dealership is giving you a pretty high mark up on a car quote and it makes more sense to purchase it at a dealership that is 1000 miles away but is giving you a quote at almost invoice price? I guess with this measure they try to protect their territory and give better service to their own customers.
In my experience I bought the car in Texas, when I relocated to Atlanta I was lucky to find a dealership owned by the same group. It took them a couple of visits to accept that and to start giving me loaners.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='418195' date='Apr 26 2007, 01:12 PM
Why don't you just go to the place where you bought the car?

You know how sometimes your local dealership is giving you a pretty high mark up on a car quote and it makes more sense to purchase it at a dealership that is 1000 miles away but is giving you a quote at almost invoice price? I guess with this measure they try to protect their territory and give better service to their own customers.
In my experience I bought the car in Texas, when I relocated to Atlanta I was lucky to find a dealership owned by the same group. It took them a couple of visits to accept that and to start giving me loaners.

Yeah..I picked up the car almost near Philly...no way I can make it out there everytime I need to have the car looked at. I guess I will just stick with BMW of Manhattan and take the subway home. THIS BLOWS!!! I am still in Awe....even VW gave me a loaner??? I just don't get it.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Originally Posted by 530inNYC' post='418243' date='Apr 26 2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah..I picked up the car almost near Philly...no way I can make it out there everytime I need to have the car looked at. I guess I will just stick with BMW of Manhattan and take the subway home. THIS BLOWS!!! I am still in Awe....even VW gave me a loaner??? I just don't get it.

I guess the way they look at it is you might have bought the car at some Honda dealership and they dont like that? Who knows.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:18 AM
SMD
Members

Same thing at Hudson Valley BMW in Poughkeepsie. They won't give me a loaner, but offer a rental car for 30 bucks a day since I bought my car elsewhere. I agree that BMW should offer a loaner regardless of where the car was purchased if it is work being done under warranty. However, the service dept. at Hudson Valley has been great on both BMW's I owned so far, so will just have to deal with it.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by SMD' post='424170' date='May 14 2007, 10:18 AM
Same thing at Hudson Valley BMW in Poughkeepsie. They won't give me a loaner, but offer a rental car for 30 bucks a day since I bought my car elsewhere. I agree that BMW should offer a loaner regardless of where the car was purchased if it is work being done under warranty. However, the service dept. at Hudson Valley has been great on both BMW's I owned so far, so will just have to deal with it.
Sad to say, Lexus is really the only one on top of the whole loaner thing. Their service prices are rather extraordinary, IMHO, but every time our former Lexus went in for service, we got a brand-new different-model Lexus to drive for the day, or however long the visit took. Our BMW went into Herb Chambers in Boston (where it was purchased), and I got a new 328xi for the day. HC has one person to handle the loaner-car operation...both BMWs and MINIs.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

Bought mine at Peabody, Mass. and get it serviced at Greenwich BMW (Service is actually in Port Chester, NY). Never had a problem getting a loaner. The first time I requested one I made the "assumptive close" so I guess that's why I didn't have any trouble --> "What's the first date you have a loaner available?"
Old 05-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Wildcat' post='424602' date='May 15 2007, 12:13 PM
Bought mine at Peabody, Mass. and get it serviced at Greenwich BMW (Service is actually in Port Chester, NY). Never had a problem getting a loaner. The first time I requested one I made the "assumptive close" so I guess that's why I didn't have any trouble --> "What's the first date do you have a loaner available?"

Screw Westchester BMW. I took the car to Darien BMW and got a loaner for the day. They changed all 4 door seals and my squeaky back breaks all under warranty. Good guys over there.

Quick Reply: Loaner cars?