Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Just Ordered my 545i- Performance Center Delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 07:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just ordered/bought my 545i 6 speed, Silver grey, Black Leather, Premium Sound and Cold Package. March will not be here soon enough!!! I live in PA so I will be getting my car after the winter - I hope! I am considering taking delivery at the Performance Center in Spartanburg, SC. All I have to pay is for my plane ticket down and I get picked up, taken to the hotel, dinner for 2, tour of the museum and plant, driver instruction in the classroom and on the various tracks. This all seems to good to be true! Has anyone taken delivery there and how was it?
Old 12-12-2003, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

You will most certainly have a great experience.

I did the Performance Center Delivery back in 2000 when I got my first BMW, a 330i. I would highly recommend it. It was a full day event. The people at the Performance Center are all very friendly and professional. You get about 2hrs on their little test track to experience all the things that are great about bimmers. My instructor was a Rally car driver and she also drove the CART/FedEx pace car.

I will say this; since they can only accomodate a limited number of deliveries per day, and since the program has become immensely popular, you might have to wait a fair amount of time from when your car actually makes it to the states until there is a delivery slot available. As an example, my car arrived in the US on July 7th or so, but the first available slot wasn't until August 9. Maybe they've added additional delivery capacity since I went there, but when I was there, they could only support a max of 9 deliveries per day (3 groups of 3 people; one group would be going through the delivery process, one group would be doing the factory tour, and one group would be on the track).

If I weren't doing European Delivery on my next Bimmer, I would absolutely do the PCD on it. I'm going to get a 545i/6 like you, but am waffling between Silver Grey and Orient Blue. My 330i is Steel Grey, and I think I want a change from the silver/black/grey tones. Most probably I will be getting the beige interior as I think it looks the best with the wood grain trim.

Congrats.
-MrB
Old 12-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Members

How does PCD work if you need a breakin period before really putting the engine to work? I thought there was a 1200mi breakin period on at least some BMWs?
Old 12-13-2003, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by Woodstock' date='Dec 12 2003, 04:20 PM
How does PCD work if you need a breakin period before really putting the engine to work? I thought there was a 1200mi breakin period on at least some BMWs?
You don't actually take your car on the track; they provide cars that are mechanically equivalent (or as close as possible) to yours.

-MrB
Old 12-13-2003, 08:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Dec 13 2003, 08:38 AM
[quote name='Woodstock' date='Dec 12 2003, 04:20 PM'] How does PCD work if you need a breakin period before really putting the engine to work?? I thought there was a 1200mi breakin period on at least some BMWs?
You don't actually take your car on the track; they provide cars that are mechanically equivalent (or as close as possible) to yours.

-MrB [/quote]
oh. (boy, I feel stupid)