Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Just ordered 550i

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' date='Oct 11 2005, 11:10 AM
I did a search on the topic and one person mentioned that 2006 cars are getting a thicker wheel.? I have not heard anything about that though - I would check with the dealer or BMWUSA regarding changes.
[snapback]182733[/snapback]
I definetly would strongly recommend Active Steering and the Cold Weather Package. Even though I am in Dallas, the Heated Seats and Steering Wheel spoil you rotten, plus it is thicker, the steering wheel that is.

I couldn't see spending $1000.00 extra on Comfort Access. I mean, all it does is allow you to touch the door to open it, I always use my remote, and not putting a key in the slot would be weird to me. I would probably lose my clicker anyway, if I didn't have to have it to start and stop the car.

Just my 2 cents. The vehicle I drive regularly doesn't have active steering and it blows.

Regards, Mike.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

I agree with Mike. IMHO, AS is a must! However, if you never try it, you won't miss it and be perfectly happy.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Okay. My dealer finally got a 550 allocation. The car is about to go into production so I have to finalize my order. I have used the search feature to look up comments about several options that I have been going back and forth on.

Sport package, premium sound, navigation, sun shades, and the m aero kit are must haves that I never considered not getting. The manual I will keep too, which is something I have missed since I got my current automatic. I have strongly considered the SMG and still find it tempting. But, I don't want to regret not getting a manual since I have missed it so much. Plus, many of you have had problems with the SMG and I am afraid of the possible disconnect I would experience with this transmission versus the manual. It will be harder to drink coffee and talk on the phone, but what the heck, it'll be fun.
I think I will keep comfort seats. Your many posts have confirmed this in my mind.
I am going to get active steering. Most of you really seem to like it and it will make it easier to whip around town. I really hope it does not take away from my high speed fun.
I think I will dump comfort access to save some $$. Although cool, I think I can live without this. I expect this to be standard equipment soon and I guess I will just have to be obsolete. Plus, I just read where it stranded someone. I don't need this.
HUD is a keeper. This just seems too cool especially with the navigation prompts. Too bad it won't display what gear the SMG is in or I may have reconsidered that transmission.

Thanks to all of you for the insight to the many features of this car.

Any last minute advice is welcome.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:40 AM
Contributors

No more last-minute advise needed ... you've got an exellent package of options planned.

Good luck with the wait. It's worth it.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I drove a 550 with AS about 10 days ago very agressivly, the AS is awesome, does not take away anything from the car except the need to turn the steering more than you should have to. The new software that is in these cars deleted all the bad feelings about AS. If I were you I would delete comfort access and pick AS. You still get the cool factor of the start/stop button. Oh and SMG is a must have, and it doesnt cost anything extra. GOOD LUCK
Old 10-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Members

I just got my 550i today. It's titanium gray metallic, gray interior, premium sound package, sport package, automatic (I didn't want to pay the $1K gas guzzler charge), active steering, comfort access, rear electric sunshades, comfort seats, navigation, heads up, and satellite radio.

The car is great! I'm very pleased with everything so far. I haven't really driven the car aggressively yet but I like the suspension and active steering.

Tom
Old 11-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. No more second guessing here.

The BMW website says my car is scheduled for production. I called the 800 number someone posted on another thread and the automated response said my car was scheduled for production with a completion date of November 9th.

Does anyone have any idea generally how long it takes after completion for it to be loaded on a ship for transport. And if going to the east coast, what does it take, two weeks in transport?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='193263' date='Nov 3 2005, 10:45 PM
Does anyone have any idea generally how long it takes after completion for it to be loaded on a ship for transport. And if going to the east coast, what does it take, two weeks in transport?
My 550 was on a boat 4 days after production, but that may be on the quick end of the typical wait time. Most wait times are about 7 days or longer. The journey over the pond is 17 to 21 days. If all goes well you might be able to catch the vessel Liberty which departs Bremerhaven on November 14 and you would see your car hit the South Carolina VPC on December 1.

Keep on eye on the Wallenius Wilhelmsen website for schedules: WW

Good luck.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the web site info Tachyon.