Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Problems Encountered

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Chet

Smile

My E60 engine overheated at 177 miles on the odometer. Fortunately, the nearest dealer is only 2.5 miles away. Took them a couple of days to get a new fan. With no temperature gage and coolant level warning, this overheating caught me by complete surprise. I think both coolant temperature & oil pressure should be available through I-Drive. I wonder if this can be done thru a software upgrade.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only two minor issues"

1. The safety feature on the auto up windows: If the car is sitting still, the driver window goes up halfway and then back down (with the warning light on the dash). This is only supposed to happen if there is an obstruction. If the car is moving it goes all the way up no problem. Not serious so I will wait until my straightwire for my radar detector comes in and I will get them to check this when they wire it.

2. The sunroof and windows are supposed to close after ignition is off. Windows do, sunroof does not. Dealer says it is just a programming issue and will be fixed when above.

Pain to have these type issues but my E39 did as well (6 trips about a sunroof rattle and they never did fix it).
Old 10-25-2003, 05:31 AM
Members

530d Auto box has rough change from 2nd to 1st. This is only noticeable as you bring vehicle to a standstill and auto box changes down to 1st gear, there is a slight snatch as change down takes place which is irritating when in traffic driving in and out of London each day.

Good news though BMW GB recognise this problem and are working on software upgrade for gearbox coding, they hope to have this avialble by December
Old 10-25-2003, 06:01 AM
Members

Don't push too hard on the cigarette lighter. I was plugging my radar detector in and pushed too hard, snap. The lighter broke off the mounting. I will add it to the other two when I take it by the dealer next week.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:58 AM
GODzilla

I had two glitches thus far since delivery of my vehicle (I'm in Germany with American specs). Both occurred at the same conditions, first thing in the morning when the temperature was below freezing. First glitch, the LCD iDrive menu failed to come on. The iDrive menu came on later on in the day but by then, the temperature had increased to the mid-forties. Second, the center arm rest button to open the storage compartment got stuck. But as the temperature warmed, it opened fine. Other than that, the car is driving great and I have no complaints other than the stares I get as I drive by.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:42 PM

Update: Dealer said there is an upgrade to the iDrive in November and they will release an upgrade to all existing cars now once they have it in hand from BMW.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:10 AM
Members

My two issues above were caused by a software issue. Since mine is the first 545 they have had back in the shop they wanted to be extra careful and take an extra day. Being Friday they gave me a Z4 3.0 to drive around for the weekend. Not bad service, especially since it has been in the 70's this weekend.

Also had the active steering go out in a parking lot. Car reverts back to fixed ratio and it gives you a warning. Turning off the car and restarting reset it, but they will take care of this with the software upgrade as well.

Overall still an incredible drive. Obviously expected a few issues with a brand new model but as my lease was up I needed to decide to this or the E500. Still believe I made the right decision. If this takes care of all my issues then I will be happy.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Farbton' date='Nov 1 2003, 04:10 AM
Also had the active steering go out in a parking lot.
Farbton:
When the active steering went out, could you detect it other than by the warning message? Did the steering feel different? Was the steering wheel rotated left or right of center when the front wheels were pointed straight ahead? (In the original Car and Driver E60 write-up, there was a comment about the steering wheel rotation symptom when the active steering quit.)
Old 11-02-2003, 03:04 AM
Members

XR92, exactly as you stated; the steering wheel was about 30 degrees offset while the wheels were straight. When I turned it off and restarted it went back straight.

Dealer has ordered a software upgrade.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:30 PM
Members

hi, I?ve had a problem with the cd, it switches to the FM all by itself , it's happenned a couple of times. No big deal but annoying, I hope there's a software upgrade to fix it. The rest is perfect, I love this car

Quick Reply: Problems Encountered