Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

IMPORTING A BMW INTO CANADA

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie_vedder' post='1023957' date='Oct 3 2009, 07:13 PM
ALRIGHT, my latest and most SHOCKING finding: So as per my previous post, I was told by 2 BMW dealers in ontario that in order to activate the DRLs there was no way to do it unless the iDrive cluster and the heater control panel were changed and reprogrammed...I got the SAME story from both dealerships at an estimated quote of nearly $4000. They both said they hooked up the car to their GP-1 (?) computer diagnostics and the program "did not allow them to simply activate the DRLs"...SO I decided to go to an independent BMW shop in Woodbridge (if anyone is interested in their name/address, contact me), who have their own GP-1 system. So they hooked up the car and guess what??? they simply activated the DRLs for me, it took 5 minutes, cost me $70, taxes in!! I could not believe it. So BMW dealers will LIE to your face in order to get unnneccesary work done on your vehicle...I am disgusted with BMW and will NEVER buy or deal/service with them. I plan on writing the media and BMW Canada on this to express my disgust at the pure lies given to me.SO BEWARE of dealers..very disappointed in them and have lost all trust in them. So now I will go to Canadian Tire and get the vehicle inspection form signed and that's it. I stand to save over $3500 by having the DRLS activated by these guys (On Whitmore Dr......) They were awesome and totally upfront and honest. They do all BMW servicing and have a winter tire package with rims and installation for $1500..a deal in my mind...

later
Thanks for posting. My suspicions have been confirmed...
Old 10-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Members

Guys, I want to let you know what I did to bypass BMW Canada intervention for owner who import. I can say now, that I would have taken my car for service at BMW, but now the car will NEVER.. EVER.. see a BMW dealership.

They hold you hostage. "Do these unnecessary modifications to your car that we require to make some money or you don't get your recall letter."

I just imported a BMW 5 series and here is what they told me needed to be done.

New Instrument Cluster - $1590 + $125 Programing
I said to them, why do I need a new cluster when it has KM/H on the cluster and that is OK with the RIV.

IHKA Heating Module - $1060 + $125 Programing
They told my the IHKA Module is for Canadian emissions standards... I said to them, the car already passed drive clean, it meets the standards.

Daytime Runners - $375
This is a requirement, but you'll note my costs to have this done below.

Car Inspection - $187
CASH GRAB.. This is to verify all of the VIN, which CDN Tire does with their FREE Government inspection.

RECALL LETTER - $500
Finally I am "allowed" to have the honor to pay for this letter, which is free with most car manufactures.

Grand Total with Tax: $4,477.06

Here's what I did...

Contacted Unity Auto - http://www.unityauto.com/licensing.php They supply you with the letter for $400
Went to TechMax Auto - http://www.techmax.ca/ To get my Daytime lights activated - $100

Grand Total with Tax: $500

That's almost $4,000 in savings.

The changes BMW requires are unlawful and not required by law to certify the car in Canada. Canadian Tire is the certified shop that determines the requirements + your provincial standard inspection. Which my car meets every single requirement.

I called BMW's head office and was told that there are several lawsuits pending right now due to these charges, and I'm not surprised. I've heard stories of the dealers telling people they cannot activate Daytime Runners unless the cluster is replaced which is falsifying the truth and highly illegal.

As a final note, my car is out of it's warranty period, so having BMW Canada support me is not required for myself, and now I have $4,000 to give to the indy mechanic TechMax for any repairs I need. If you do go this route and have a very new BMW with lots of warranty you're stuck the 5K way as far as I know, and I can understand the modifications and letter fees are for them to re-coupe costs they will incur fixing your car under warranty for years. But if you're importing a car that has no warranty this is the route to go IMO.

I hope that this really helps out a lot of people. I found out all of this information by doing hours of searching the net, so I wanted to add my contribution back. If you're looking for a local dealer to set up your daytime lights, just google your area and European Independent Mechanic.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Contributors

Smile

And WHO wants to emulate Canada's Health Care Programs ? ? ?

NFW
Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1038604' date='Oct 22 2009, 10:06 PM
And WHO wants to emulate Canada's Health Care Programs ? ? ?

NFW
I assume you are taking about the module they are saying that needs to be replaced to meet Canadian emissions. This requirement is untrue, just like changing the spedo cluster. We have a test here called "Drive Clean" that is required every 2 years on our cars to make sure they are within the limits required in Canada. This test was run and passed the car without issue. Of course it will. It is simply a cash grab from BMW as I mentioned above.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JW-BENZ' post='1038631' date='Oct 22 2009, 10:05 PM
I assume you are taking about the module they are saying that needs to be replaced to meet Canadian emissions. This requirement is untrue, just like changing the spedo cluster. We have a test here called "Drive Clean" that is required every 2 years on our cars to make sure they are within the limits required in Canada. This test was run and passed the car without issue. Of course it will. It is simply a cash grab from BMW as I mentioned above.
Hey JW-BENZ - I am trying to get my X5 imported to Canada, can you pls help me thru the process....Thanks.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kamy' post='1080365' date='Dec 27 2009, 08:10 PM
Hey JW-BENZ - I am trying to get my X5 imported to Canada, can you pls help me thru the process....Thanks.
what year?