Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

IMPORTING A BMW INTO CANADA

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on the process here? In specific can anyone speak to any experience with Importing a 2006 M5 to Canada?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Members

OK, here's my story, most up-to-date and very frustrating depending on WHO you talk to.

just brought back a 2006 550i on Aug 24, 2009. No issues at the border, no one asked me for any recall letter. NO issues whatsoever other than the fact that the canadian customs agent didn't believe the price I paid, so he actually called the dealer I purchased from (not a BMW dealer but an e-Bay guy). Once that was checked out, we were on our way.

NOW for the fine points. I initially spoke to 2 BMW dealerships and they both told me that to meet canadian specifications as per BMW CANADA (note), they would need to replace the iDrive cluster, heater control panel and activate the daytime running lights. In fact the guy at Durham BMW even told me that it was not possible to activate the DRL's without changing the iDrive cluster which I have been since told is untrue!!! I couldn't believe the lie.
Anyways, they also said I absolutely needed a Clearance Letter from BMW Canada that I would have to get through the dealer (the only way to get it is to have all modifications done by a BMW dealership) then I would be able to proceed with the rest of the process (RIV, inspection). The costs quoted to me were $3300 for the modifications plus taxes and $500 for the Clearance Letter that really only takes 5 minutes to write up if that!

I proceeded to call my local Canadian Tire who does the inspections and they told me that the only obstacle to approving the vehicle was to get the DRLs activated, NOTHING else. As long as they are activated, they will sign Form 2 which needs to be sent to RIV.

Fine, so that leaves the Recall clerance letter. As it happens, I had the seller in America get from the American dealership he deals with print me out a Vehicle Warranty Report stating "No Open Campaigns".....GUESS what? I called RIV and they to my delight informed me that they would accept that report as a Recall Clearance letter!!!! Cost to me for that printout from the American dealership: $0 !! compared to $500 from these Canadian thieves.

I then called back the Canadian BMW dealerships and called then on these points straight up: they weren't too pleased with my research and findings and then proceeded to tell me that "they were the experts and no one else should be listened to" I asked him one simple question: can the DRLs be activated only without any other modifications: he answered yes. I asked him how much it would cost me: he answered $125 plus taxes. !!! A far cry from close to $4000 according to what they initially insisted I needed to have done to the car.....

Here's the one catch however: upon further inquiry with the dealer: BMW Canada will NOT honour the warranty (will not transfer the warranty) from America to Canada UNLESS you have all modifications performed as per BMW dealerships, which goes back to the $4000 in modifications. Only after these mods are done will BMW Canada issue a Letter of Admissibility and allow the warranty to be transferred (only the basic warranty, no maintenance or extended warranties, so only 4 year/80k). For me, I brought a 2006 550i with 73k, so I only have 7000 km left on the warranty or until May 2010, whichever comes first, which will likely be 80k. So for my situation, I would need to fork out an additional $4000 to BMW dealership in order to have a basic warranty for the next 7000km, which to me dose not make sense. I will take my chances that maintenence costs willnot be in the $4000 range for the next 7000 km and I am fine.

SO to summarize:
-don't trust BMW dealerships: they were very unwilling to divulge information and only when pressed did they open up hesitantly: very poor business dealing and customer treatment, they should be ashamed, as I felt totally misled by them.
- DO your homework and get the facts from RIV who have no vested interest in anything other than making the vehicle legal for canadian roads.
-Talk to the Canadian Tire guys, they also have no vested interested, and were very helpful and forthcoming
-Careful taking what BMW CAnada and specially dealerships tell you too seriously or as the bible. They DO have a vested interest in screwing us up...

I have an appointment next week to activate my DRLs at a cost of $125 and then off to Canadian Tire to get Form 2 signed and have the provincial testing done which should be a breeze and that's it.....

hope this helps, but a lot of what I read here was patchy and incomplete. Any questions, post here and I will try to reply.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Members

Are you sure you even have to fork out the $125.00?
Maybe some of our American members can chime in. I think the running lights activation is an i-drive function you can access yourself...I think.

I don't have anything good to say about my interactions with BMW in a similar situation. I was quoted nearly 5 grand during the time this whole mess was unfolding about a year and a half ago. I had to back out of a deal due to all the fear-mongering.

With respect to the DTR lights, I was told the cluster had to be changed out so that I could not control (turn on and off) the DRL (supposedly not allowed under Canadian law). Check it out. Congrats and good luck!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

That sucks! I will thinking of getting my next bmw/benz from the states
Old 08-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Members

I was told by BMW that in the 2006 model 550i you cannot go into iDrive and manually set the DRLs on/off. Apparently you were able to do this through iDrive in earlier models but no longer in newer models. Anyhow, for $125, I am not complaining, it beats the $4000+ initial quote!! As for whether turning them on/off and Canadian laws--I am unsure about that although If I can't do it unless BMW programs them, then I obviously can't go in there and switch them. We'll see, we have an appointment this week to get them activated...I will update when we do them.
thanks.

Originally Posted by Isay5' post='992707' date='Aug 29 2009, 10:44 PM
Are you sure you even have to fork out the $125.00?
Maybe some of our American members can chime in. I think the running lights activation is an i-drive function you can access yourself...I think.

I don't have anything good to say about my interactions with BMW in a similar situation. I was quoted nearly 5 grand during the time this whole mess was unfolding about a year and a half ago. I had to back out of a deal due to all the fear-mongering.

With respect to the DTR lights, I was told the cluster had to be changed out so that I could not control (turn on and off) the DRL (supposedly not allowed under Canadian law). Check it out. Congrats and good luck!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, SMG, Nav, Pro Logic, etc.

Originally Posted by eddie_vedder' post='993313' date='Aug 30 2009, 08:14 PM
I was told by BMW that in the 2006 model 550i you cannot go into iDrive and manually set the DRLs on/off. Apparently you were able to do this through iDrive in earlier models but no longer in newer models. Anyhow, for $125, I am not complaining, it beats the $4000+ initial quote!! As for whether turning them on/off and Canadian laws--I am unsure about that although If I can't do it unless BMW programs them, then I obviously can't go in there and switch them. We'll see, we have an appointment this week to get them activated...I will update when we do them.
thanks.

$4000 to keep your warranty, that sucks... My suggestion, why not just get your regular services in Canada, and then if you need something major covered by warranty, make a trip accross the border and get the work done. Not sure where you live, but assuming the car is driveable, it should be alot cheaper to make a road trip to the closest border crossing.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Originally Posted by gabman' post='499997' date='Nov 28 2007, 08:32 AM
Transport Canada Regulations regarding admissibility to import a BMW into Canada CHANGED YESTERDAY.

In order to be able to import a BMW into Canada, you must now contact a BMW Canada Retailer to determine if the vehicle
can be imported and if any modifications are required along with the cost of these modifications. A LETTER OF ADMISSIBILITY IS NOW REQUIRED FROM BMW IN ORDER TO CLEAR CANADA CUSTOMS.

BMW have gone the way of Mercedes Benz Canada who have had this policy in effect for some time now.

DO NOT IMPORT A BMW Without doing your homework first as this could prove to be a very costly venture, and the vehicle may have to be returned to the USA.

If anyone has a question, I will try to help.

GABMAN
Without pouring through the entire thread, isn't it easier to just use a relative's US address, drive the car in Canada and keep the car registered in the states??
Old 09-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='997041' date='Sep 3 2009, 11:57 AM
Without pouring through the entire thread, isn't it easier to just use a relative's US address, drive the car in Canada and keep the car registered in the states??
There must be some insurance implications, I would think....
Old 09-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, SMG, Nav, Pro Logic, etc.

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='997041' date='Sep 3 2009, 11:57 AM
That would work if you never had to cross the border. You would definately get asked why you are a Canadian resident with a US car registered under your name...

US dealers will service Canadian plated cars though...
Old 10-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Members

ALRIGHT, my latest and most SHOCKING finding: So as per my previous post, I was told by 2 BMW dealers in ontario that in order to activate the DRLs there was no way to do it unless the iDrive cluster and the heater control panel were changed and reprogrammed...I got the SAME story from both dealerships at an estimated quote of nearly $4000. They both said they hooked up the car to their GP-1 (?) computer diagnostics and the program "did not allow them to simply activate the DRLs"...SO I decided to go to an independent BMW shop in Woodbridge (if anyone is interested in their name/address, contact me), who have their own GP-1 system. So they hooked up the car and guess what??? they simply activated the DRLs for me, it took 5 minutes, cost me $70, taxes in!! I could not believe it. So BMW dealers will LIE to your face in order to get unnneccesary work done on your vehicle...I am disgusted with BMW and will NEVER buy or deal/service with them. I plan on writing the media and BMW Canada on this to express my disgust at the pure lies given to me.SO BEWARE of dealers..very disappointed in them and have lost all trust in them. So now I will go to Canadian Tire and get the vehicle inspection form signed and that's it. I stand to save over $3500 by having the DRLS activated by these guys (On Whitmore Dr......) They were awesome and totally upfront and honest. They do all BMW servicing and have a winter tire package with rims and installation for $1500..a deal in my mind...

later

Quick Reply: IMPORTING A BMW INTO CANADA