Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

IMPORTING A BMW INTO CANADA

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z4 has a digital display and thus would not need an instrument cluster change. It would, however, need to be changed to km by the dealer, but that is only a few hundred dollars instead of $3000. I know of someone who recently imported the car in Edmonton. See below:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpos...postcount=13732
Old 04-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Members

Thanks Quant.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Members

Now the dealerships are saying DRL'S 200 , letter 350 and 500 so about 1000, not 3000 to 4000 like I was first quoted. However, I must say that those first quotes were from sales staff and the low quotes were from the actual service department staff. So the sales staff were snowing me I guess.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Members

Folks;

Sorry to butt in but I too import all makes and models especially BMW and MB's to Canada. After going through all the hassle and cost I have become an expert.

Here is the service I can offer:
1) Source new 2008 BMW for you in USA
2) Ship car to Canada and handle all custom and boarder issues.
3) Complete modifications at BMW
4) Complete RIV and other inspections
5) Arrange for lease or loan financing for you (if you have good credit rating)
6) Deliver the car to you.

If you would want to engage me, send me an email. My address is alfred@miamipaylesscars.com and you can also check out our second hand cars at the same site. We can do both new and second hand cars.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by senator2' post='568360' date='Apr 25 2008, 07:51 PM
Now the dealerships are saying DRL'S 200 , letter 350 and 500 so about 1000, not 3000 to 4000 like I was first quoted. However, I must say that those first quotes were from sales staff and the low quotes were from the actual service department staff. So the sales staff were snowing me I guess.

DRL $200???? They quoted me about $3500! Where did you get the $200?
Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by alfred' post='572643' date='May 1 2008, 05:49 PM
Folks;

Sorry to butt in but I too import all makes and models especially BMW and MB's to Canada. After going through all the hassle and cost I have become an expert.

Here is the service I can offer:
1) Source new 2008 BMW for you in USA
2) Ship car to Canada and handle all custom and boarder issues.
3) Complete modifications at BMW
4) Complete RIV and other inspections
5) Arrange for lease or loan financing for you (if you have good credit rating)
6) Deliver the car to you.

If you would want to engage me, send me an email. My address is alfred@miamipaylesscars.com and you can also check out our second hand cars at the same site. We can do both new and second hand cars.

Are you exporting cars from Miami, FL?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Senior Members

alfred, how much do you charge for the whole process?
Old 05-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Members

I got a quote on the BMW Z4 of about 200 for the DRL'S from Sarnia and Ottawa.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Members

Bagman -
Thanks for all the great information. I am a US Citizen living in Canada, imported a Volvo XC90 with no issues as the vehicle was on the admissability list and the US Dealer provided the recall letter at no cost. They even faxed my export paperwork for me to take it to Canada.

I just purchased a 2004 645Ci Convertible and am working to import it on a little known "temporary import" status which allows me to bring it in to Canada and drive it BUT I have to take it back out of the country with me (I cannot sell it here). I do not have to pay duties or GST, but do have to pay PST to get it licensed.

I was wondering if you know if I am going to get the same hassles as others regarding the admissability letter, DRL's, etc.... and if the DRL's on this model can be programmed without the infamous instrument cluster change? Does RIV accept a recall letter from the US Dealers or does it have to come from a Canadian dealer?

Because I am a US Citizen, they may give me a break but then again, they might even make it worse. Amazing to me that the Canadian Government is cooperating with this conspiracy.

Thanks for the advice. Did I miss anything?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Members

Well I see there have been no postings on this topic in quite some time. I hope the topic is still of interest to some as it is to me and that someone out there will continue the discussion with me.

My saga is as follows: Canadian living in the USA but with possibility of moving back always in background
Researched my 2004 E60 purchase first (prior to Nov 27/07) had no idea of impending rule change at the RIV. All looked good. Now going to move summer 09 and find out all this shtuff has been going on. Good grief. My speedo has Miles and Kms, DRL's are active (not iDrive optionable, they are permanently ON) so I figure I am good to go. On my last visit to Toronto I pop into the local BMW Dealer to find out what they need only to find out about Inst. Cluster and HVAC swap. I am a licensed Auto Tech in Ontario not to mention and Airline Pilot so I understand tech talk. When I ask the Toronto BMW dealer for an technical explanation of requirements he responds very honestly " I don't get it either it really is BS" Ha! Good to know.

So in reading various forums and websites it seems that things have been changing lots over the last year. It would appear that the requirement for Inst. Cluster swap, $350 Admissibility Letters, $500 Clearance Recall Letters was all in response to the Canadian Dollar's sustained near parity with the US Dollar causing many Canadians looking to the USA to purchase cheaper BMW's. But now the Canadian dollar has plunged against the US greenback and requirements have eased some.

The issue now seems to be one of warranty. If one wants to take their US BMW to Canada and have their warranty honoured then the mods must be done. Almost all BMW's are back on the admissibility list so it would appear that in my case I could take my 2004 E60 with No-Outstanding-Recall print out from my local US BMW dealer, get Canadian Tire to look the car over and say "Yup, DRL's are ON, Yup Speedo had KM's", pay duties and taxes and I would be good to go.

I am interested in hearing anybody else's experience, opinion, perspective, insight .

Thanks.

Quick Reply: IMPORTING A BMW INTO CANADA